Hudson H9 - Own One? Review Please!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Hudson H9 - Own One? Review Please!

Post by Abraham »

I've seen a few in magazines and wondered if they're worth the price which I could probably buy 2 Glocks with...

So, anyone here have one?

Like it?

Worth the cost?

Thanks!

gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hudson H9 - Own One? Review Please!

Post by gtolbert09 »

From Grabagun website. They list it for $1089.65

Hudson HUD001 1911 H9 Single 9mm Luger 4.28" 15 1 Black Interchangeable Backstrap Grip Black

Hudson H9's elegant simplicity and cutting-edge design is unite in example of modern weaponry. It features an all-steel frame with a black finish, straight-pull trigger, trigger safety, G10 VZ grip and interchangeable grip panels, and an accessory rail for aftermarket lights or lasers. The unconventional nose of the pistol allows for the barrel and recoil spring to sit drastically lower and closer to the hand than heritage designs. This, coupled with its striker-fired design, creates an extremely low bore axis which reduces torque about the wrist when firing and contributes to unparalleled precision in the shot process. This model includes three 15-round 9mm magazines.

https://grabagun.com/hudson-hud001-h9-9 ... -15rd.html
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

This is the most novel design for a pistol since the Hi-Power. The base model is broadly applicable, but it's not my cup of tea. If they make a .357 Sig with a 5" barrel, I'll eat it up.

E10

Post by E10 »

Man, that thing’s almost as ugly as a Glock!

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 8

Post by MechAg94 »

E10 wrote:Man, that thing’s almost as ugly as a Glock!
Feels a lot better in the hand though.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Tons of reviews on YouTube. From what I hear/see they are pretty good. Recoil is very low and feels like a 1911 grip in your hand. They are heavy tho. But I believe they will be coming out with a lighter weight model. I think it looks space age. I wouldn’t mind owning one. I carry a Glock and it’s pretty!

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Mine is serial number 27XX so there aren't that many out in the wild yet. Says "Hudson MFG Temple, TX US" on the slide. :txflag:

I like it. It is an all steel frame and slide, but the exterior is all smooth lines and slim with little or nothing to hang up on something. It is not light. The weight and the lower recoil spring add up to very little muzzle rise. The trigger is a 1911 style with a safety dongle. Once you take up the safety dongle slack, the straight trigger pull is very short with a clean break and fairly short reset. The trigger is completely different than you usual polymer striker fired pistol. The grip and beavertail feel like a 1911 with a straight backstrap. I love that part. No grip safety. IMO, it is very well built pistol and a good shooter.

The only thing that I hadn't considered is the front sight is a big orange dot combat sight with a tritium center. It is not set up to be a target shooter. I am fairly accurate with it despite that, but I do appreciate the big orange dot when I try to do double taps and faster shooting. I think with a target style front sight I would be comparing it more to my CZ Shadow II though that pistol is heavier. I heard an interview that said they were looking at offering target sights for sale and are working on a light weight model. No idea when that will show up. Considering they shipped their first pistol in October/November of last year, I think they did a great job.

I found a DeSantis OWB holster that carries it pretty well. I need to practice some more with it. The only malfunction was with some 158 grain Fiochi ammo I tried, but I figured that was the ammo, not the gun. I have mostly fired 147 grain ammo through.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

My uncle has one... I've only held/dry fired it, not shot it live. Gun feels excellent in hand, trigger beats anything but a good 1911 trigger, and the gun balances out well. Looks a bit unique- but aesthetics are individual... it's growing on me, though!

When the prices come down a bit or I come into some disposable cash, I will buy one.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Why, I wonder, did they get a lot of negative feedback on it's weight?

Lighter weight, I think may mean harsher recoil.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote:Why, I wonder, did they get a lot of negative feedback on it's weight?

Lighter weight, I think may mean harsher recoil.
People are getting used to the light poly framed guns... I think the weight is one of the good "features" about it... I'd bet those who don't like the weight are those that carry and don't practice much, or those that just pocket carry. :roll:

I wish the trend would go back to steel frames- or at least offer a few models either way.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

https://www.amazon.com/DeSantis-Scabbar ... tis+Hudson
I got this holster and carried it all last weekend at about 3 to 4 o'clock position. No issues as long as the belt is snug. If you want no weight, get a single stack 9mm.

I would add the texture is low profile and not noticeable in look or feel, but it works well and doesn't rub your skin raw like some do.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I don't consider it an ugly gun at all, just a unique design. I think once you handle it and shoot it a little bit you will change your mind. I think they put a lot of thought into it.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:I've seen a few in magazines and wondered if they're worth the price which I could probably buy 2 Glocks with...

So, anyone here have one?

Like it?

Worth the cost?

Thanks!
Abraham - I don't own a Hudson H9, but if you are interested in a gun like it, take a look at Kriss USA - Sphinx.
They cost about the same as the Hudson
I have a Sphinx AT-380 made Switzerland and it is a very well made precision firearm.

https://kriss-usa.com/pistols/compact/compact-alpha
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WildBill,

Will do and thanks for the heads up!

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Wildbill,

Wow!

What a beauty!

For all that precision, I'd pay the money.

I'm going to research a bit more on this baby.

That polished feed ramp and solid billet are fantastic.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”