.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#16

Post by oljames3 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:48 am

I don't carry my 155mm. It carries me AND provides ballistic cover. :biggrinjester:

Image
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#17

Post by JRG » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:26 am

I carry both. 9mm and .45acp Shields and 9mm and .45acp XD Mod 2 subcompacts.

I kinda like both rounds.

Joe

User avatar

Syntyr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#18

Post by Syntyr » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:24 pm

ml1209 wrote:I like the fact that it is lower pressure than 9mm, and also moves slower. With a hollow point, it should not be as likely to overpenetrate in dense urban areas. Don't get me wrong, I like the 9mm a lot, and is my choice for carry. But home defense goes to .45ACP.
.45 acp? Well at least you got the "45" part right. I carry 45-70 pistol! You say but it's only a single shot? It doesnt matter i just have to line up right and i can take out 4 or 5! Besides when i light one of these things off everyone just scatters! :lol::
Syntyr
Happiness is two at low eight!

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5934
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#19

Post by Pawpaw » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

What, no love for the Arsenal Firearms AF-2011?

Image
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

I also prefer .45acp

#20

Post by flechero » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

While I prefer .45acp in my own guns, I carry both 45/9 depending on what I'm doing or the level of concealment I need.

I do particularly love the argument that 9mm has undergone these technological advancements that make it more adequate... but apparently no other caliber has benefited from the same modern projectile technology. :lol:

Carry what you shoot best and keep it on you! :fire


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 1580
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#21

Post by MechAg94 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Pawpaw wrote:What, no love for the Arsenal Firearms AF-2011?
If I had the spare change, I would get one.

I got a Coonan 1911 instead.
Image

User avatar

johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#22

Post by johncanfield » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Our 1911 is a very favorite gun to shoot, love .45 caliber however my EDC is a Sig P239 in .357 Sig. Lots of energy.
Ruger SR40, LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226, 1911 clone


jb2012
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#23

Post by jb2012 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Steel guns in .45 are my sweet spot. I don't really have an issue concealing larger guns, and I shoot 1911's really well. However, my next gun is going to be a polymer 9mm. I do feel like the .45 has a bit more energy transferred to the target (takedown/knockdown power if you will). Ymmv.

User avatar

74novaman
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3649
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 am
Location: Temple, Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: I also prefer .45acp

#24

Post by 74novaman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:24 pm

flechero wrote: I do particularly love the argument that 9mm has undergone these technological advancements that make it more adequate... but apparently no other caliber has benefited from the same modern projectile technology. :lol:
That's a bit of a misrepresentation.

The argument isn't that only 9mm has improved with technology, but that given the advances in hollow point design, you're now seeing similar results from modern 9mm defensive ammo that you're seeing from modern .45 ammo in testing, whereas before that wasn't always the case.

So if both rounds are preforming similarly, it makes less sense to choose the one with higher recoil, lower capacity, and higher cost over something that has similar performance that you can carry more of and shoot more accurately/quicker in the same size gun.

But TAM had it really right: in the end a rifle>all handgun calibers, and we only carry pistols because they're easier to drag around all day.
TANSTAAFL


eyedoc
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 am

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#25

Post by eyedoc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Well,

I carry a custom Para in 10mm. What is not to like about 16 rounds of hot 10mm in a 1911 platform?


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: I also prefer .45acp

#26

Post by flechero » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:08 pm

74novaman wrote:
flechero wrote: I do particularly love the argument that 9mm has undergone these technological advancements that make it more adequate... but apparently no other caliber has benefited from the same modern projectile technology. :lol:
That's a bit of a misrepresentation.

The argument isn't that only 9mm has improved with technology, but that given the advances in hollow point design, you're now seeing similar results from modern 9mm defensive ammo that you're seeing from modern .45 ammo in testing, whereas before that wasn't always the case.

So if both rounds are preforming similarly, it makes less sense to choose the one with higher recoil, lower capacity, and higher cost over something that has similar performance that you can carry more of and shoot more accurately/quicker in the same size gun.

But TAM had it really right: in the end a rifle>all handgun calibers, and we only carry pistols because they're easier to drag around all day.
You're no fun!

I know that all calibers benefit from the latest technology and design... but I only ever hear people talk about it in 9mm which is why it makes me chuckle :lol: I shoot my .45 better than any of my 9's, so while a 9mm may be a better choice for many (and I do believe it is) it's not universal.

I don't feel under gunned with 15 rounds of 45 acp. :fire I often feel under gunned with 15 rounds of 9mm... but I carry the 9mm when I need to be more discreet. Not scientific but I have learned to trust my gut. I just can't get there in the 9mm is as good as 45acp debate, in my own head... maybe a great 9 JHP vs 45 fmj- but not apples to apples.
:tiphat:


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 1580
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: I also prefer .45acp

#27

Post by MechAg94 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:08 pm

74novaman wrote:
flechero wrote: I do particularly love the argument that 9mm has undergone these technological advancements that make it more adequate... but apparently no other caliber has benefited from the same modern projectile technology. :lol:
That's a bit of a misrepresentation.

The argument isn't that only 9mm has improved with technology, but that given the advances in hollow point design, you're now seeing similar results from modern 9mm defensive ammo that you're seeing from modern .45 ammo in testing, whereas before that wasn't always the case.

So if both rounds are preforming similarly, it makes less sense to choose the one with higher recoil, lower capacity, and higher cost over something that has similar performance that you can carry more of and shoot more accurately/quicker in the same size gun.

But TAM had it really right: in the end a rifle>all handgun calibers, and we only carry pistols because they're easier to drag around all day.
I think it has been posted here before, but there were statistical studies of calibers used in actual shootings. I believe the findings were there was no statistical difference in performance of anything 9mm and up. Of course, a lot of details don't show up in statistics, but I would say that means shoot the gun you are comfortable with, practice with it, and hit your target if you have to use it.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: I also prefer .45acp

#28

Post by oljames3 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:33 pm

I think it has been posted here before, but there were statistical studies of calibers used in actual shootings. I believe the findings were there was no statistical difference in performance of anything 9mm and up. Of course, a lot of details don't show up in statistics, but I would say that means shoot the gun you are comfortable with, practice with it, and hit your target if you have to use it.
:iagree:
Shoot a round that meets the FBI protocols, from a reliable manufacturer, that you can shoot well ... and have fun doing it!
:thewave
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23577
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#29

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:50 am

oljames3 wrote:I don't carry my 155mm. It carries me AND provides ballistic cover. :biggrinjester:

Image
Cover? Yes. Concealment? Not so much. "rlol"
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


LeonCarr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: DFW

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

#30

Post by LeonCarr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:21 am

.096

That is the difference in bullet diameter between a 9mm and a .45.

According to some "experts" who seem to think that everybody is still carrying ball ammo in their handguns, less than a tenth of an inch in bullet diameter is the difference between an all powerful death ray and a shoot to wound pop gun.

Whatever.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”