.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 3

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Post by MaduroBU »

230 grain +P .45 ACP, 147 grain 357 Sig, and 200 grain 10mm and .40 S&W all have similar momentum at the muzzle. The .45 and. 40 have the advantage of generating most of that from a 4" barrel. While the 10mm and 357 Sig need a 5 or 5.5" barrel, they generate markedly higher energy and barrier penetration when paired with a longer barrel. The 10mm and 357 Sig also require handloading to perform well, as factory loads for both calibers leave a lot of performance on the table.

I think that the search for a single universal best is likely to end inconclusively, but we have several options that fill different roles.

flechero
Posts in topic: 12

Post by flechero »

Rob Leatham said something to the effect of- while 9mm may be adequate, it was not equivalent, so don't kid yourselves.

He didn't harbor any ill will towards those that carry 9mm, just as none the people in this thread that prefer 45acp have. Most of us have said we carry 9mm at times but choose 45 when attire and activity allow...

I'm good for another few months now. Any other horses we can swing a bat at??? :lol:

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LeonCarr »

WTR wrote:
LeonCarr wrote:Rob Leatham has probably put more ammunition downrange than everybody on this forum combined.

With that being said, if there is suddenly an epidemic of human beings being attacked by Pepper Poppers, I will switch back to a .45. :fire

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I say carry the platform and caliber which makes you feel warm and fuzzy. However, what does the amount of ammo Rob has put down range for practice and competition on paper or steel have anything to do with the lethality of a particular caliber?
It has nothing to do with the lethality of a particular caliber, that is why I mentioned being attacked by Pepper Poppers and switching to the .45. I was saying that even though he has sent probably millions of bullets downrange, just because he demonstrated that a .45 can knockdown a Pepper Popper "better" than the 9mm does not mean that it can stop a human better. I wont even get into how those Pepper Poppers can be adjusted/calibrated with a bolt at the bottom of the popper and are calibrated before a match to fall to a 9mm.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

flechero wrote:Rob Leatham said something to the effect of- while 9mm may be adequate, it was not equivalent, so don't kid yourselves.

He didn't harbor any ill will towards those that carry 9mm, just as none the people in this thread that prefer 45acp have. Most of us have said we carry 9mm at times but choose 45 when attire and activity allow...

I'm good for another few months now. Any other horses we can swing a bat at??? :lol:
Poor hits with a pistol caliber won't incapacitate someone. Terminal performance is almost exclusively a function of shot placement once a very low threshold of energy and momentum are reached. I carry a P232 .380 ACP +P with 90 grain XTPs because they are sufficient if I do my part. A weak .380 load from a 2.5" barrel is not sufficient.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

LeonCarr wrote:
WTR wrote:
LeonCarr wrote:Rob Leatham has probably put more ammunition downrange than everybody on this forum combined.

With that being said, if there is suddenly an epidemic of human beings being attacked by Pepper Poppers, I will switch back to a .45. :fire

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I say carry the platform and caliber which makes you feel warm and fuzzy. However, what does the amount of ammo Rob has put down range for practice and competition on paper or steel have anything to do with the lethality of a particular caliber?
It has nothing to do with the lethality of a particular caliber, that is why I mentioned being attacked by Pepper Poppers and switching to the .45. I was saying that even though he has sent probably millions of bullets downrange, just because he demonstrated that a .45 can knockdown a Pepper Popper "better" than the 9mm does not mean that it can stop a human better. I wont even get into how those Pepper Poppers can be adjusted/calibrated with a bolt at the bottom of the popper and are calibrated before a match to fall to a 9mm.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
If the amount of ammo sent down range by Leathum has nothing to do with this conversation, why mention it.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

WTR wrote:
LeonCarr wrote:
WTR wrote:

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
If the amount of ammo sent down range by Leathum has nothing to do with this conversation, why mention it.
Fixed.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Yankee Marshall on Youtube calls the caliber "45 AARP", which is good for a chuckle.

That being said, I recently purchased my first 45 ACP/1911 and love the caliber and platform.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Maybe not for long given their disdain for the 1st and 2nd Ammendments.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Texian
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texian »

This again?

Shot placement still king!

Penetration is still queen!

Everything else is still just angels dancing on the heads of pins!

Bad shot placement results in more risks than over penetration!
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Why do people complain about this argument appearing "again" while happily posting their own opinion/judgement? :biggrinjester:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

MechAg94 wrote:Why do people complain about this argument appearing "again" while happily posting their own opinion/judgement? :biggrinjester:
Because they like to argue. But they don't want to admit that they like to argue.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Texian wrote:This again?

Shot placement still king!

Penetration is still queen!

Everything else is still just angels dancing on the heads of pins!

Bad shot placement results in more risks than over penetration!
Which is why a 12 gauge shot shell (with birdshot) is the only correct answer!

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I "don't want to be shot" with anything, not even a rock from a slingshot.
Hear, hear. You and me both.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

MechAg94 wrote:Why do people complain about this argument appearing "again" while happily posting their own opinion/judgement? :biggrinjester:
Several reasons perhaps:

1. Some members of internet forums post to every thread, regardless. Perhaps it's about personal post count, desire for attention, ego, who knows.

2. There are more "experts" on internet forums than there are in the actual field being discussed. As an example, I would venture to guess that 99% of those on LTC type forums have never had to "use" a firearm in self defense, but that does not stop them from telling others the "best way" to do it.

3. It would probably be pretty boring if everyone posted what they actually "knew" rather than just rendering an opinion. :biggrinjester:
Last edited by G26ster on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

MaduroBU wrote:
flechero wrote:Rob Leatham said something to the effect of- while 9mm may be adequate, it was not equivalent, so don't kid yourselves.

Poor hits with a pistol caliber won't incapacitate someone. Terminal performance is almost exclusively a function of shot placement once a very low threshold of energy and momentum are reached. I carry a P232 .380 ACP +P with 90 grain XTPs because they are sufficient if I do my part. A weak .380 load from a 2.5" barrel is not sufficient.
If shot placement was the over-riding factor as you suggest, then why not carry 22LR? You get the bonus of maximum capacity too.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”