.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
ml1209
Senior Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 pm

.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby ml1209 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:10 am

I like the fact that it is lower pressure than 9mm, and also moves slower. With a hollow point, it should not be as likely to overpenetrate in dense urban areas. Don't get me wrong, I like the 9mm a lot, and is my choice for carry. But home defense goes to .45ACP.

User avatar

Excaliber
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: DFW Metro

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby Excaliber » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:14 am

My EDC's are usually .45's.

I sometimes carry 9mm when capacity may be important, but I favor the big heavy bullet for nearly everything else.

Yes, I know the wound channels look the same and recoil recovery is quicker with the 9, but in my experience the .45 takes the fight out of BG's with fewer shots than the 9. That may not always be true, but that's what I'm going with.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

User avatar

Commander Cody
Senior Member
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Texas City/Trinity

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby Commander Cody » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 am

My choice as well.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

User avatar

PBR
Senior Member
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:16 am

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby PBR » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:47 am

It's all I have in pistol (well 1 22lr) so it's all I carry for defense. I know 9mm has changed a lot but I'm still old school I guess, but also I'm a big guy so 45's actually fit my hand better than 9's. Like mentioned I know 9's have changed but it still sticks in my mind the few shootings I seen happen live. 1 involved a 9mm and 40 the subject was hit 7 times while never going down. He continued to walk a little ways before falling down dead. 2nd involved a .45 two shots and subject was down and out. 3rd involved a .44mag one shot and subject was down, alive when left scene but can't remember if made it or not. While being a big guy 44 is little much to carry so I stick to .45acp. Just to note all 3 shootings were police involved that witnessed and had to go before grand jury on 2 of them (which is horrible to do).
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 23437
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby The Annoyed Man » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:53 am

Here we go again1 "rlol"
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

PBR
Senior Member
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:16 am

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby PBR » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:08 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here we go again1 "rlol"

about every 6 months or so? :woohoo
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts: 10615
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby Oldgringo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here we go again1 "rlol"

Yes, let's do.

I'm really, really liking my new S&W Shield EZ in 9mm Kurz. Granted, it's not a tank destroyer but it sure is a lot more comfortable on my aged back/hip than is my SA 1911 Compact. I suspect any gun battles that I get involved in won't last much longer than 8 rounds....one way or the other. :leaving


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby MechAg94 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 am

IMO, overpenetration has become too big a focus on this stuff. I think making sure you can shoot your chosen carry gun well and hit your target are more important (and use reliable self defense ammo). Misses are far more dangerous down range than over penetrating rounds though I wouldn't want to get hit by either.

That said, you can do that with 9mm, 45 acp, 357 magnum or whatever fits you best. I like 45 ACP, I just find that the 9mm pistols have good capacity in a good size/weight for carry. However, I am always on the watch for a better option for 45. I was sort of hoping FN would make an FNX-45 compact. I like that pistol.

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts: 8538
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby Beiruty » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 am

9mm Killed 100:1 than 45 ACP.
Almost all LEO and Military world wide uses 9mm.
Trust me you would not wanted to be shot with a double tap of 9mm HST or Gold "D". Ehmmm, "D" is for Death.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member


strogg
Senior Member
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: DFW (Denton County)

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby strogg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:43 am

Why choose? I carry both.

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4140
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby RPBrown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:01 am

strogg wrote:Why choose? I carry both.


As do I. I have any number of .45 guns but I also have a Sig. P938 as a BUG. Its the only 9mm in the house and I got it when my wife moved to a .38 revolver.
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby Lynyrd » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here we go again1 "rlol"


Yeah, but it's a fun discussion. :lol:

And I carry both, depending on the situation. But I prefer a .45.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


montgomery
Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby montgomery » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 am

Beiruty wrote:9mm Killed 100:1 than 45 ACP.
Almost all LEO and Military world wide uses 9mm.
Trust me you would not wanted to be shot with a double tap of 9mm HST or Gold "D". Ehmmm, "D" is for Death.


100 rounds of 9 mm for every round of 45 ACP? Sounds about right.

:iagree: "rlol"


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 3139
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 am

montgomery wrote:
Beiruty wrote:9mm Killed 100:1 than 45 ACP.
Almost all LEO and Military world wide uses 9mm.
Trust me you would not wanted to be shot with a double tap of 9mm HST or Gold "D". Ehmmm, "D" is for Death.


100 rounds of 9 mm for every round of 45 ACP? Sounds about right.

:iagree: "rlol"


I'm not sure that raw death count is the best evidence of the efficacy of a round, but I'll play along. Are we counting WW1 and WW2 in these stats? If we go back to the Civil War, we probably need to add musket balls to the discussion.

Personally, I carry both. I also carry 12 gauge shotgun shells and 5.56 mm ammo in my HD and trunk guns. So I should be OK regardless. And I "don't want to be shot" with anything, not even a rock from a slingshot.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 23437
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Postby The Annoyed Man » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:45 am

I prefer shooting .45 ACP to 9mm, but I carry 9mm because that’s what my wife carries. In fact, I carry Glocks because that’s what my wife carries. I can adapt myself to pretty much any self defense caliber and gun platform and shoot it reasonably well, but she cannot. She’s not a gun person; not an enthusiast. She carries one simply because it makes sense to her to do so; but she has zero interest in guns or shooting as a hobby. The fact that she owns two Glocks, a .22LR rifle, a .38 Special revolver, and an AR15 carbine is strictly a result of being married to me. If left to her own devices, she’d have one small handgun. Therefore, I carry 9mm Glocks, so that if something should happen to me, she can pick up my gun if need be and be familiar with its feel, operation, recoil, etc.

Left to my own devices, I’d probably still be carrying a .45. However, I do not feel particularly vulnerable because I’m not carrying .45s anymore. Yeah, maybe two .45 ACP holes = three 9mm holes.....or some such....but a 9mm bullet to a light switch will turn off the lights just as fast as a .45 will. I don’t intend to miss, but even if I do, my little G26 has 13 rounds on board (a +2 magazine plus 1 in the pipe), and two 12-round mags in reserve. That’s enough to put anybody down, and if it isn’t, then .45 ACP won’t either, and there are bigger issues. That’s why I prefer having a long gun nearby. A 5.56x45 from a 16” barrel beats either pistol caliber hands down.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests