M&P®380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Consumer Advisory

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

M&P®380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Consumer Advisory

Post by jmorris »

Hardly out the door and problem found. Basically, ammo that produces high recoil can cause the safety to flip to the safe position.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-shi ... r-advisory
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Re: M&P®380 SHIELD™ EZ™ Consumer Advisory

Post by Grundy1133 »

Personally, I find safety's on a carry gun to be pointless. A trigger safety is good enough for me. But for curiosity sake, is that advisory for the +P and +P+ ammo or just any high grain ammo that causes "high" recoil?
NRA Member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

Grundy1133 wrote:Personally, I find safety's on a carry gun to be pointless. A trigger safety is good enough for me. But for curiosity sake, is that advisory for the +P and +P+ ammo or just any high grain ammo that causes "high" recoil?
I suppose, but a case could be made that trigger safetys are pointless. I wouldn't want to carry a 1911 without it's safety. A lot depends on the specific gun, the method of carry, the training and a users comfort level.

Different strokes and all of that.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Liberty wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:Personally, I find safety's on a carry gun to be pointless. A trigger safety is good enough for me. But for curiosity sake, is that advisory for the +P and +P+ ammo or just any high grain ammo that causes "high" recoil?
I suppose, but a case could be made that trigger safetys are pointless. I wouldn't want to carry a 1911 without it's safety. A lot depends on the specific gun, the method of carry, the training and a users comfort level.

I suppose. my mentality is if you're carrying you should have enough trigger discipline to not be touching that trigger until you're ready to shoot. I agree trigger safety's are useless as well but with those I don't have to do something before pulling the trigger. my finger is already in the firing position when engaging the safety... I've never had a 1911, but i imagine you'd want the safety because its hammer fired?
NRA Member

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Liberty wrote:

I suppose. my mentality is if you're carrying you should have enough trigger discipline to not be touching that trigger until you're ready to shoot. I agree trigger safety's are useless as well but with those I don't have to do something before pulling the trigger. my finger is already in the firing position when engaging the safety... I've never had a 1911, but i imagine you'd want the safety because its hammer fired?

You want the safety on a 1911 because a 1911 is a single action pistol. There are plenty of guns that are hammer fired that don’t have a safety. Sig 226,229 etc.... they are double action / single action pistols with hammers. The long double action pull is the safety. Just like a double action revovler.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

cmgee67 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Liberty wrote:

You want the safety on a 1911 because a 1911 is a single action pistol. There are plenty of guns that are hammer fired that don’t have a safety. Sig 226,229 etc.... they are double action / single action pistols with hammers. The long double action pull is the safety. Just like a double action revovler.
Gotcha.
NRA Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Liberty wrote:

I suppose. my mentality is if you're carrying you should have enough trigger discipline to not be touching that trigger until you're ready to shoot. I agree trigger safeties are useless as well but with those I don't have to do something before pulling the trigger. my finger is already in the firing position when engaging the safety... I've never had a 1911, but i imagine you'd want the safety because its hammer fired?
Hammer fired and single action. I think of the manual safety not so much as safety about an accidental finger press but more about an item of clothing or a piece of holster snagging or even falling and hitting something in an awkward way.

My preferred handgun has always been DA/SA with a hammer. My EDC carry is a Beretta PX4 SC carried in a DeSantis Nylon IWB. Very concealable and I'm accurate up to around 15 Yards. I practice snicking off the safety when I draw, Its automatic and doesn't take any time and is accomplished before I'm at the low ready. My first shot typically will be using double action. Clicking the safety on will drop the hammer and disable the trigger. I push the gun when I reholster with my thumb on the hammer. I am very comfortable with my method of carry and the safety of my weapon and carry.

My point is that a manual safety makes sense for some people, some types of carry, and some platforms. It's not for everyone. My holsters that I use would not be advisable for someone who packs a Glock. IWB won't work for most people who choose a full sized 1911. Everyone has their own comfort zone, but they should be aware of not only the strengths but the weaknesses of their chosen method of carry.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor

Post by rotor »

The web site says not to use +P or +P+ ammo in that gun. As far as a safety on a gun, there is the saying that your finger is the safety which is true but it doesn't help when reholstering a gun. I personally like a gun with a safety knowing that you don't have to use it if you don't want to but at least you have a choice. The new Sig P365 looks really neat but it doesn't even offer a trigger safety. For me this is a no buy situation for conceal carry and certainly this is not a target pistol where a safety is less of an issue. S&W will fix the new Shield. They make great firearms.

There are two debates with firearms that will never end, should the firearm have a safety and should you carry one in the chamber. To each his own and also it depends on the gun.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Jesus, we are related. The only external safety that never fails is trigger indexed on the frame. The only internal safety required on a striker fired pistol is the drop safety.

:iagree: :cheers2:

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

rotor wrote:
The web site says not to use +P or +P+ ammo in that gun. As far as a safety on a gun, there is the saying that your finger is the safety which is true but it doesn't help when reholstering a gun. I personally like a gun with a safety knowing that you don't have to use it if you don't want to but at least you have a choice. The new Sig P365 looks really neat but it doesn't even offer a trigger safety. For me this is a no buy situation for conceal carry and certainly this is not a target pistol where a safety is less of an issue. S&W will fix the new Shield. They make great firearms.

There are two debates with firearms that will never end, should the firearm have a safety and should you carry one in the chamber. To each his own and also it depends on the gun.
Two debates: one ends with you winning the fight. The other ends with you losing the fight.

Prove it to yourself. Get a SIRT gun or airsoft replica and do some force on force training under stress. Not judging, just helping.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I bought the .380 EZ Sunday for training purposes, experienced the problem when breaking it in yesterday and got shipping label e-mailed to me this morning. Tested with 2 different kinds of non+P ammo and the safety worked its way up sporadically with both.

Jury is still out on the grip safety. It must be depressed quite firmly.

Unlike the 9mm Shield, this .380 has a decent sized thumb safety, similar to 1911. I supposed their "fix" will be to somehow tighten things up. Their customer service rep said "They have not advised us yet on how long the repair will take."

Sights were off. Initial groupings for 2 of us way left. But they do provide a hex wrench to loosen and move the rear sight. It's the first time I have seen such: set screw for the rear sight is actually on the inside of the top of the slide.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

rotor

Post by rotor »

montgomery wrote:
rotor wrote:

Two debates: one ends with you winning the fight. The other ends with you losing the fight.

Prove it to yourself. Get a SIRT gun or airsoft replica and do some force on force training under stress. Not judging, just helping.
I know the arguments. Depends on the gun and how you carry. S&W usually makes 2 models, with and without safety. My wife will not carry unless the gun has a safety. She does have a Sig P320 Romeo with no safety but not for carry, just range. Better to carry with a gun with a safety than not to carry at all. Each person must decide how they will carry. For fastest response of course one in the chamber. Just remember though, to err is human. I have had my share of errors, never with a gun, but I have made mistakes in my life that have been painful/costly. We all do.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I generally prefer to not have a thumb safety on my carry guns. The one exception is a 1911, which also happens to be my most common carry gun (in various iterations). I'm including the Sig P938 along with the 1911 since both are hammer fired guns that I carry "cocked and locked".

On DA/SA or DA only guns, I carry in DA mode, and prefer not to have a thumb safety to worry about. Same goes for revolvers. These are all carried in holsters that fully cover the trigger, and the long trigger pull is enough of a safety.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

montgomery wrote:
Jesus, we are related. The only external safety that never fails is trigger indexed on the frame. The only internal safety required on a striker fired pistol is the drop safety.

:iagree: :cheers2:
haha we must be related somehow :smilelol5:
NRA Member

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I have a new EZ .380. The problem is not related to +P ammo. It behaves just like my Dan Wesson 1911; while shooting, my thumb nudges the safety to on. This problem is so common on 1911s, that some shooters use a "high thumb hold", with the thumb on top of the safety. I have been doing that on the EZ.

BTW, the only mfg I know of who makes +P for .380 is Buffalo Bore. SAAMI does not have a standard for +P for .380, so using it very much could damage the gun.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”