FFL Transfer fees The Arms Room

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

sailor2000
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FFL Transfer fees The Arms Room

Post by sailor2000 »

Gulf coast arms Friendswood... nuff said
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I can see the day when brick and mortar stores will be few and far between, the only thing that will save them is sales tax across the board on out of state sales. When people like Buds Gun Shop have to charge sales tax for every sale things will equalize and the local dealer can compete.

People like the nice gun stores with everything they want to buy but want dirt cheap prices and you can’t have it all. The firearms industry is a generally low profit margin business for non NFA firearms and retailers have to make up for it in volume, accessories, rental fees or something else.

I don’t think most firearm owners comprehend the costs involved for a brick and mortar gun shop. You may think anything more than $10 for a transfer is high but I can tell you there’s at least that much cost in labor just to process one transfer. I’m not going to break it down but there are other things going on that you don’t see.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Alf wrote:
Syntyr wrote:Now I go to defensive firearms on Beltway 8 and westhimer. $25 a pop.
Not anymore. :sad: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... &p=1182475

You had to go and tell me that...

:grumble

Guess I have to find another FFL

Thanks for the heads up. I missed that thread.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bigtek »

mrvmax wrote:I don’t think most firearm owners comprehend the costs involved for a brick and mortar gun shop. You may think anything more than $10 for a transfer is high but I can tell you there’s at least that much cost in labor just to process one transfer. I’m not going to break it down but there are other things going on that you don’t see.
I don't think most consumers care about the costs involved for a brick and mortar store. Why should they?

Competition is part of business. Companies can compete many ways, with cost being one. Other ways to compete include convenience, product quality, service quality, and innovation. If somebody is sells S&W handguns, then product quality and innovation are probably factors more for the manufacturer than the retailer. So if the retailer isn't price competitive, what do they offer to consumers to earn their business? Service quality is a common choice, but many gun stores choose instead to have condescending, incompetent, or just plain rude staff.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

mrvmax wrote:I can see the day when brick and mortar stores will be few and far between, the only thing that will save them is sales tax across the board on out of state sales. When people like Buds Gun Shop have to charge sales tax for every sale things will equalize and the local dealer can compete.

People like the nice gun stores with everything they want to buy but want dirt cheap prices and you can’t have it all. The firearms industry is a generally low profit margin business for non NFA firearms and retailers have to make up for it in volume, accessories, rental fees or something else.

I don’t think most firearm owners comprehend the costs involved for a brick and mortar gun shop. You may think anything more than $10 for a transfer is high but I can tell you there’s at least that much cost in labor just to process one transfer. I’m not going to break it down but there are other things going on that you don’t see.
Firearms sales have always been a low/marginal profit enterprise, except for some of the extremely high end makes. Back in the 60's and 70's we sold the common brands Win, Rem, Mossberg, Marlin for either wholesaleor 5-10% above it. We had some intermediate makes, Sako, Steyr-Mannlicher, Franchi, Beretta, Colt-Sauer, Charles Daly that we made a little more on, but by the time we'd sell one they'd been in inventory so long any profit was eaten up by taxes. We had a Colt franchise as well, but Colt's covenants prohibited selling below MSR. We sold very few Colts at full price. We made up by with accessories, scopes and ammunition, etc in the firearms department. We were a full service sporting good outlet so we had athletics, fishing, camping golf etc as well. We even sold minibikes and go karts. Overall our before tax and employee burden profit margin was in the 25-35% range. I know nowadays the online sellers are making more on their guns than the small independent seller who can not get deals and incentives offered to major sellers. I understand and have complete sympathy for the fees they charge as long as they are reasonable, but I think The Arms Room is excessive, especially a transfer for a CHL holder. I rarely buy new firearms, but when I do I try to go to a local brick and mortar shop. I have succumbed to online sales when the prices were ridiculously low, but that has only occurred a few time. I posted a deal on Shockwaves for a while back, but I bought mine from my LGS for $389. I know not everyone can pay extra to support their LGS.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

bigtek wrote:
mrvmax wrote:I don’t think most firearm owners comprehend the costs involved for a brick and mortar gun shop. You may think anything more than $10 for a transfer is high but I can tell you there’s at least that much cost in labor just to process one transfer. I’m not going to break it down but there are other things going on that you don’t see.
I don't think most consumers care about the costs involved for a brick and mortar store. Why should they?

Competition is part of business. Companies can compete many ways, with cost being one. Other ways to compete include convenience, product quality, service quality, and innovation. If somebody is sells S&W handguns, then product quality and innovation are probably factors more for the manufacturer than the retailer. So if the retailer isn't price competitive, what do they offer to consumers to earn their business? Service quality is a common choice, but many gun stores choose instead to have condescending, incompetent, or just plain rude staff.
Sorry you have such bad luck visiting gun stores. Besides shops in my home area I visit many LGS when I travel and the majority do not fit your description. I have bought from a few out of town stores but generally I inform them I am just "knuckle dragging" and they are still more than willing to show their wares, answer questions and offer information. I hope you have better luck.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

"Service quality is a common choice, but many gun stores choose instead to have condescending, incompetent, or just plain rude staff."

They're everywhere, not just in gun stores.

I ran into one yesterday.

I won't go into the details, but this guy should be fired, problem is: He own's the store. Which, if possible I'll only return to if I can't find the item I'm looking for elsewhere. Further problem is he sells difficult to find goods. Sigh...

One thing for sure, he has a flattened/scarred nose and I don't he was a boxer. Just smarted off to one (or more) people who showed their appreciation for his rotten behavior, but being a slow learner he looks like he been beaten more than once...

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

bigtek,

You bring up a valid point - so what's a fair transfer cost?

apostate

Post by apostate »

Abraham wrote:so what's a fair transfer cost?
define "fair"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

apostate,

Given what bigtek had to say regarding the efforts for an FFL transfer to be done, I asked what he might consider a cost most would agree on.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Soccerdad has it right. As a former marketing guy and retail store owner, most retail stores pay big money to get new people in the front door. If I had a gun store, I would see transfers as a cheap way to bring in potential customers. Every single one of them will be a buyer of guns, not a tire-kicker. Why would you want to tick off a potential customer with a high fee and a "did not buy it here" attitude? That's just stupid. I'd be offering $10 transfers with CHL, maybe $20 without, and I would promote that service, and cheerfully welcome each one. Give them a couple free targets, a store cap or something.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I recently ran into a (you didn't buy it here - therefore you're not worthy) syndrome.

Had I known of your stores betterment, I (i thought reasonably) would have bought my stuff form you. Of course, you have/had the best deal, but I wasn't aware of at the time I transgressed....

Attitude back towards me: Go to hades....nice, in the future I'd be willing to continue paying more rather than go back to your backward/arrogant people store.

Customer service is a hit or miss proposition.

Treat me with respect and I return the attitude.

Treat me with contempt, you've not only lost me, I'll tell others about your treatment...

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Abraham wrote: Treat me with contempt, you've not only lost me, I'll tell others about your treatment...
If you don't name names, it don't count ;-)
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

apostate

Post by apostate »

Abraham wrote:apostate,

Given what bigtek had to say regarding the efforts for an FFL transfer to be done, I asked what he might consider a cost most would agree on.
Well, that's why I asked, because majority rule is not necessarily the same as "fair" in my experience. :tiphat:

sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

Before Clinton, I ran a home based FFL. I know the cost of doing a 4473. Charging more than $20 for a transfer is unreasonable, especially for a CHL.

Gulf coast arms Friendswood is very reasonable.
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”