Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Recommend Light/Laser or Just Light?

Post by Abraham »

For my Glock 19 gen 3.

Given I'm no longer in the military, it doesn't have to be military/L.E. quality.

From my research, it would seem most pistol lights, just lights, are wildly over priced.

At the same time, I don't want to buy something poorly made, but I initially saved money only to find I bought a hunka junk either.

Plus, are combo laser/lights a good or bad idea? Recommendations...?

Finally, is there a light that I can install and not have to buy a new holster?

Thanks!

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommend Light/Laser or Just Light?

Post by strogg »

Ah... one of these posts again. All right. Quick answer, the cheaper lights are of poorer quality and won't last as long or they won't be as secure. You'll want something decent. I got myself the Streamlight TLR series. Those lights are probably the best bang for the buck, and the build quality is amazing. Laser? Up to you. I personally don't like it because you'll rely on it instead of the sights to shoot. It'll ruin your shooting technique. That and polymer rails tend to flex, so the aim will be off if you put it on a polymer dust cover. Light without a new holster? No such luck, buddy. Most definitely, you'll need a new one custom created for you. They are pretty bulky too, so keep that in mind.

Why do you want one, exactly? Depending on the scenario, it may be better off for you if you don't even have a weapon mounted light.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Strogg,

Thanks for your reply.

I can do without a laser and I'll accept to depend on them may be detrimental.

Why do I want a light?

I keep my G19 in holster connected to my bed for night time defense. Putting one on and off might become a giant pain, so I thought why not get one installed/attached and leave it that way?

The holster change out I was pretty much sure of, but sometimes folks come up with unexpected innovations...

Triple T Holsters in Kemah, I've been told (and saw their stuff in person) can make a very comfortable, custom fit holster to accomodate the light and speaking of light these holsters are light as a feather. . Supposedly, economical too. We'll see.

Now, I have two Streamlight flashlights both new and old Scorpions. But, probably too heavy and antiquated for mounting on my G19, but fine for simple flashlight use.

Thanks for your help!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I tried a light/laser combo several years ago for about $90. The laser showed me how much I am unable to keep perfectly still and messed with my sight picture in case the laser failed and I had to go back to iron sights. Then within the first year, IIRC, the light failed during a night match. :totap: :grumble

Next came the TLR-1 and a new holster that would accommodate having the light always attached. Thank you Safariland! Due to my work schedule I haven't been able to do as many matches as I used to. I think I've only done 3 and one of them was a night match. Worked beautifully each time and the light stays mounted, so whenever I practice I'm always shooting with the light mounted. I think I've had it on for almost two years now and have probably shot close to 1000 rounds. Like gun belts, you get what you pay for. As long as I ensure the battery is good, I know that when needed it will work. Just like my Glock it's mounted on. Well, except for the battery part.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I like the TLR series, and have one mounted to a Glock 21 that used to be my bedside gun, but now just sits in the safe. I also have one mounted on my Shockwave. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a light or laser on a pistol. Having tried both, I'll stick to using the sights. On the Shockwave, it's a necessity for me, though.

I know you said your priority is a light, but they do make guide rod lasers for Glocks. Those replace the normal guide rod, so no need for a new holster. Maybe someone will come up with the same idea for a light?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

A great light for a Glock 19 as an EDC is the Surefire XC-1. There are plenty of holsters that accommodate that light and it is not a bulky light like the Streamlights.

Alf

Post by Alf »

tl;dr

TLR-1

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

If your function will be interior of house, don't go crazy with the lumens. The TLR-1 at 300 lumens is a great, well made light. The TLR-1 HL at 800 lumens is, in my opinion, too much light for inside.

Size wise, you might consider the new TLR-7. Not as bulky as the TLR-1 but is still 500 lumens.

Surefire's X300 series are also great lights.

Not bank breaking, but still suitable for duty use/home defense, might look into the Nightstick TWM-350 or TWM-350S weapon lights.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

alf,

TLR-1 ok, but it seems there are so many TLR''s and you did add -1, is there any more to the model no.?

Or, that it in it's entirety? This one: Streamlight TLR-1 300 Lumen Tactical Weapon Light
SKU: 69110

I've looked all of the suggested other models in the thread, but this brand seems to be high quality for way less money.

Thanks

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

In my research I've come across a number of guys who stated they'd tried weapon lights and found they didn't care for them?

So, now I'm wondering why?

Too much additional weight, cumbersome/bulky especially when in a vehicle, difficult to shoot accurately because of the added weight, difficult to unholster or re-holster or ...?

Any guesses?

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

It's personal preference.

I prefer an off hand light as opposed to a weapon mounted light. There are a number of pros and cons on both sides.

Off hand light. Yet another thing to manipulate / keep track of. You get a whole new set of arguments to endure, Harries technique or other?

Weapon mounted light. Anything you light up will also have your weapon pointed at it. Manipulating switches with your trigger finger in close proximity to the trigger.

...and so on.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abe, I have two weapon lights and I really like both of them. One is an older L3 Insight with a remote switch pad, which is mounted to my .300 Blk SBR. It puts out 125 Lumen, and that is plenty for the kind of use I’m using it for - inside the home self-defense. The other is a TLR-2s which is on my Glock 17. I like that the TLR-2s has the ability to dazzle someone’s eyesight with a disorienting strobe.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Scott B. wrote:It's personal preference.

I prefer an off hand light as opposed to a weapon mounted light. There are a number of pros and cons on both sides.

Off hand light. Yet another thing to manipulate / keep track of. You get a whole new set of arguments to endure, Harries technique or other?

Weapon mounted light. Anything you light up will also have your weapon pointed at it. Manipulating switches with your trigger finger in close proximity to the trigger.

...and so on.
:iagree:

In a NO light situation, the pistol mounted light will provide an easier to manipulate and therefore more accurate package for placing rounds precisely on target.

Learning to shoot while holding a flashlight is actually far more difficult than it appears but worth learning IMHO as for most of us, unless shooting in a night time pistol competition, determining the nature of the potential threat and identifying the appropriate action is far more likely and important, and I would rather do that with a handheld flashlight not attached to my gun. Having the two tools separate provides greater flexibility, at the expense of some accuracy, at least in my limited experience.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

https://www.olightstore.com/led-flashli ... ht-pl-mini

If you are just planning on using a light at home, this one seems to work well for me. It attaches and detaches easily and is rechargeable. I haven't put mine through hard use, but it is handy.

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

I just put a green Crimson Trace rail on the Sig P220. Range one time. I like it. Light will wait, but I want one. Combo probably not.

I did not see any discussion of the disorienting effects of a bright strobe. In my opinion, a strobe can be brutal. Try looking and aiming at one some time.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”