Recommend Light/Laser or Just Light?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommend Light/Laser or Just Light?

Post by cmgee67 »

The Inforce aplc is what I use on my Glock 19. It was specifically designed for Glock pistols and 19 in particular. It has paddles you depress that are stippled from the factory and is more natural to use. When you keep you finger off the trigger you can naturally go to one of the paddles. It’s ambidextrous and I enjoy it very much. I use the Streamlight TLR series lights as well. Both are fine but with the inforce you don’t have to fumble with sizing keys right out of the box to fit your Glock.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

I will say that I much prefer having a weapon mounted light over a handheld (for primary light). Though, as noted it's a useful skill to learn. To that end, even with my weapon light I still have numerous flashlights staged all over the house; my wife says I have a problem "rlol" . Anyhow, the reason I mention preferring it that way is that because of a class I took about a decade back. As part of the class we went through a brief lesson inside a shoot-house and were individually allowed to run a course of fire in there. Trying to do things such as open doors, and "cutting-the-pie" (clearing corners) were very difficult with both hands occupied. That was my first revelation.

The second came once we started having kids. It was discussed that in a home invasion scenario, the best course of action is to hunker down and make the perps come to you. Funnel them through a doorway where you have the advantage. Except in the case where you're trying to get to a loved one's room. In that case, you're likely to need a hand free to handle kids while also manipulating your firearm. Again, difficult to do with a flashlight in one hand and gun in the other.

So, I say all that to note that it very much depends on your situation. Me, I'm using my weapon light as primary. Also, I should point out that the argument that you'll have to point your gun at anything you want to identify isn't as one sided as it would seem. Most weapons lights are powerful enough now that the spill over from the beam is significant. Of the lights I own for pistols, several Streetlight TLR-1 HLs and a Surefire x300, they all provide more than enough output that I can point the gun toward the ceiling and still easily identify an object across my living room ~40 ft away. Once identified, then you can decide whether to train your gun on the source of the noise.

I'll end with the fact that I'm really excited about the new Streetlight TLR-7. Can't wait to pick one up.

Oh, and for anyone that thinks I'm dissing the use of a handheld light, here is my collection of flashlights that just reside in the master closet. This doesn't even count the numerous one's scatted throughout the house. I mean, one is none and two is one right?
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

nightstand has a rail gun with TLR-3 a surefire 6P handheld light - I like to have options.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I use a thrunite TN12. 5 modes+ strobe. 1100 lumens max, water proof, impact resistant. i love this flashlight.
http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn12-2 ... lashlight/

-Turbo (1100 lumens /95 minutes)
-Strobe (1100 lumens /3.8 hours)
-High (435 lumens /4.2 hours)
-Medium (175 lumens /11.8 hours)
-Low (18 lumens /5.5 days)
-Firefly (0.4 lumens /74 days).
NRA Member

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

I like my lights simple, on - off. No accidentally switching to strobe when I don't want strobe, etc.

I've got a Pelican 7600, 944 lumen, which I mostly like, but it's supposed to be 'programmable' so you can just run the modes you want. I consider myself a fairly tech savvy person, but I've never been able to successfully program the stupid thing.

A light I'm very interested to check out is the new Microstream USB Pocket Light. I carry the standard Microstream, runs on a single AAA, and kicks out a whopping 28 lumens. The new USB version is of course rechargeable, but puts out 250 lumen in the same form factor as the standard Microstream.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products ... stream-usb
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

Scott B. wrote: A light I'm very interested to check out is the new Microstream USB Pocket Light. I carry the standard Microstream, runs on a single AAA, and kicks out a whopping 28 lumens. The new USB version is of course rechargeable, but puts out 250 lumen in the same form factor as the standard Microstream.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products ... stream-usb
Crap, my wife’s going to hate me... :nono:
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I've always thought it best to have a weapon mounted light for those times when you need your other hand free like if I'm having to control my dog on a leash or if I'm on the phone with 911. That being said, I've always carried a hand held light for when I need to identify something in the dark and don't want to be point a gun at it.

I've always used some sort of Surefire handheld light but for some reason I've only had the one Streamlight TLR-1S on my handguns (Glock 21, 17, and a Springfield Armory Champion Operator). I've had it probably 5 or 6 years. If it ever fails, I might switch to a Surefire or I may just buy another Streamlight :lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”