Is the .40 dead?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
sailor2000
Posts in topic: 1

Is the .40 dead?

Post by sailor2000 »

Once upon a time the .40 was the ultimate. Now I see the new and used markets flooded with them cheap. What happened?
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub

Re: Is the .40 dead?

Post by C-dub »

It’s a compromise caliber that is more difficult to shoot than either 9mm or .45ACP. I started with the .40 and now have .45’s. Some folks went up, while some down.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

It isn't dead, but it is less popular. I don't see it going away anytime soon.

And I agree that not all gun types shoot it very well. Some guns do okay, just a little more recoil. Some guns seem to make the recoil real rough. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most of the guns were just 9mm pistols converted to 40. I am not sure if any were built specifically for 40 S&W.

Also, the better performance of 9mm +P HP loads these days has more people going back to 9mm or up to 45.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

sailor2000 wrote:Once upon a time the .40 was the ultimate. Now I see the new and used markets flooded with them cheap. What happened?
Assault weapon ban which limited pistols to 10 rounds expired. That was a factor for some popularity.
Proliferation of pocket 9mm pistols in the market.
Advances in bullet technology lessening the gap between 9 and 40.
More women buying pistols.
More competition shooting. Few shoot 40 competitively.
The big one is law enforcement moving away from 40.

All 3 of my carry pistols are .40. I like the round and it's all I have ever had in a pistol that's not a 22. I can see the manufacturers quit offering .40 models in the future.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

It’s not dead but it’s dying. There are some good deals on pistols in .40

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Agency after agency has switched to 9mm. Reasons are many, but primarily cost, easier to shoot, less wear and tear on the platform, capacity, and improvements in 9mm ammo.

How drastic is it? My primary supplier for LE/First responder guns basically isn't even going to attempt to stock .40 cal product going forward. It will be mostly special order because they don't want to get stuck with inventory that nobody is buying.

Put another way, of the guns I've sold to area LEOs just this quarter, 99% are 9mm, the remaining one percent were by numbers 1st) 45 cal, 2nd) 357 Sig, and 3rd) .40 bringing up the rear.

All you need to do is look at used / police trade-in .40 cal gun prices.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Yup .40 is gone. Ive carried glock 27 since ‘07. It’s getting harder and harder to find ammonium. I will be switching my 27 to a 26gen5 very soon. Or just get a 40-9 barrel.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Grundy1133 »

i carry the .40 i love it. its an M&P full size. if the caliber is really disappearing hold onto them because theyll be worht some cash down the road
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i just bought 1K rds of 40 S&W but like someone mentioned i dont think its going anywhere anytime soon...
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

The short answer to this, would be “no, it's not dead.” In fact, it's no more dead than 10mm is. The .40 caliber will always have a following, and there will be some who will always believe it is the best option, no matter what the FBI or anyone else says. The most important thing, is that we all carry what we can handle in a defensive situation.
https://www.concealedcarry.com/gear/40-sw-is-it-dead/
NRA Member

strogg

Post by strogg »

Agreed. It is definitely not as popular anymore. I noticed that yes, there are a ton of used 40s on the market, but they are also all being bought up. People are using them. I personally may not like it, but caliber preferences, as everyone knows, is subjective. I'm happy if they're happy.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Grundy1133 wrote:i carry the .40 i love it. its an M&P full size. if the caliber is really disappearing hold onto them because theyll be worht some cash down the road
If that happens I doubt if anyone old enough to read this forum will still be alive.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Is it dead?

Not yet. IME 9mms are easier and cheaper to shoot, and IME the .40 has more recoil/muzzle flip than a .45 in a similar sized handgun. This may be due the .40 running at almost twice the pressure of the .45.

IMO the .40 is a good cartridge that provides optimum antipersonnel ballistics from a handgun, and you really don't hear anything about the .40 failing to work as designed with JHP ammunition and proper shot placement.

You could do a whole lot worse than the .40 as your primary handgun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

aaangel wrote:Yup .40 is gone. Ive carried glock 27 since ‘07. It’s getting harder and harder to find ammonium. I will be switching my 27 to a 26gen5 very soon. Or just get a 40-9 barrel.
There may be a miriade of reasons for the decline of the .40 S & W. However, lack of ammo avalibility is not one of them. I just bought 1000 rounds. You can go online and buy everything from a 50 round box to 500 and 1000 round cases.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

WTR wrote:
aaangel wrote:Yup .40 is gone. Ive carried glock 27 since ‘07. It’s getting harder and harder to find ammonium. I will be switching my 27 to a 26gen5 very soon. Or just get a 40-9 barrel.
There may be a miriade of reasons for the decline of the .40 S & W. However, lack of ammo availability is not one of them. I just bought 1000 rounds. You can go online and buy everything from a 50 round box to 500 and 1000 round cases.
ditto. I don' think 40s are dying... I just think that people try them and decide they don't like them. like you have hardcore 9mm fanboys and .45 fanboys and they buy a 40 S&W to try it out and they decide they dont like it an dsell it... like was mentioned earlier, yes they're on th emarket but people are buying them up... I like the 40 S&W. you can read all day about how x caliber is better than y cailber... or how this caliber is bad for self defense etc etc... but at the end of the day it comes down to what you like and what you're proficient with... also WTR when you go to sell your glock 27 HMU. unless the they release a gen5 glock 27.
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”