Motorcyclist Crashes and shoots self

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rtschl

Motorcyclist Crashes and shoots self

Postby rtschl » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:48 pm

For those of you that ride... A motorcycle rider was seriously injured in a bizarre crash in Melbourne, Fla., last week when he wrecked his bike and got shot in the leg by the gun he was carrying on his hip.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/04/16/motorcycle-rider-crashes-and-gets-shot-by-his-own-gun.html

My first question is what holster.
Ron
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Re: Motorcyclist Crashes and shoots self

Postby Grundy1133 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

my first question was why was he carrying a .22? my 2nd question was why holster did he have. my 3rd question is why do people ride motorcycles? my cousin almost lost her life less than a month ago. crushed her ankle. road rash all over her arm and leg. she bit a hole thru her tongue. the fact that she had a helmet on was what saved her life. however her boyfriend didnt make it. he was driving the motorcycle. I'll never understand the appeal of those death traps... people are such reckless drivers now a days i dont even feel safe driving a full sized car let alone a tiny motorcycle.
NRA Member

SIGFan43

Postby SIGFan43 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:my first question was why was he carrying a .22? my 2nd question was why holster did he have. my 3rd question is why do people ride motorcycles? my cousin almost lost her life less than a month ago. crushed her ankle. road rash all over her arm and leg. she bit a hole thru her tongue. the fact that she had a helmet on was what saved her life. however her boyfriend didnt make it. he was driving the motorcycle. I'll never understand the appeal of those death traps... people are such reckless drivers now a days i dont even feel safe driving a full sized car let alone a tiny motorcycle.

I used to ride with a local club on the weekends. The reason: "wind therapy." I stopped riding in 2009 because of the inattentive SUV drivers; it got scary a couple of times. I wore a neon green jacket, and people would still not see me.
SIGFan43

Grundy1133

Postby Grundy1133 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:02 pm

SIGFan43 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:my first question was why was he carrying a .22? my 2nd question was why holster did he have. my 3rd question is why do people ride motorcycles? my cousin almost lost her life less than a month ago. crushed her ankle. road rash all over her arm and leg. she bit a hole thru her tongue. the fact that she had a helmet on was what saved her life. however her boyfriend didnt make it. he was driving the motorcycle. I'll never understand the appeal of those death traps... people are such reckless drivers now a days i dont even feel safe driving a full sized car let alone a tiny motorcycle.

I used to ride with a local club on the weekends. The reason: "wind therapy." I stopped riding in 2009 because of the inattentive SUV drivers; it got scary a couple of times. I wore a neon green jacket, and people would still not see me.

Yeah. i mean i LOVE the way motorcycles look and I can see the appeal to an extent but I'd be too worried about not being seen which is what happened wiht my cousin. an SUV didn't see them or wasn't paying attention and they hit the SUV as it turned out into their lane.
NRA Member

uthornsfan

Postby uthornsfan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Just like most people here say there are very few if any "Guns that accidentally went off", I would say "Almost" all motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclists fault.

I ride as much as I can and the things I see other motorcyclists do is beyond me.

Even cars turning left in front of bikes alot of times, the bike could've been more alert or prepared. Like flashing their lights and positioning themselves with an out. Its not much different than carrying a gun.

uthornsfan

Postby uthornsfan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Just like most people here say there are very few if any "Guns that accidentally went off", I would say "Almost" all motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclists fault.

I ride as much as I can and the things I see other motorcyclists do is beyond me.

Even cars turning left in front of bikes alot of times, the bike could've been more alert or prepared. Like flashing their lights and positioning themselves with an out. Its not much different than carrying a gun.

jason812

Postby jason812 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 pm

uthornsfan wrote:Just like most people here say there are very few if any "Guns that accidentally went off", I would say "Almost" all motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclists fault.

I would tend to agree but there is always the SUV that makes a left hand turn from the third lane in the same direction of travel and you bounce off the side. Ask me how I know. I gave up street bikes 18 years ago cause I wanted to try to live to be an old man. I gave up dirt bikes 6 years ago and if I knew I would not get seriously hurt, I would have another one in a heartbeat.

Grundy1133 wrote:my first question was why was he carrying a .22?

I carried my .22 this weekend. I was working on a fence and needed to run to town. In fact, I goofed and left my normal car gun in house but have the .22 and I'm fixing to go to Wal-Mart on my way home because the wife asked me too. I'm going to carry it again cause I'm not going in with just a knife.

We as a group do not need to question what somebody carries but embrace the fact they do.

Unless they carry a Glock then it's game on :lol::

Grundy1133

Postby Grundy1133 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:21 pm

jason812 wrote:

I carried my .22 this weekend. I was working on a fence and needed to run to town. In fact, I goofed and left my normal car gun in house but have the .22 and I'm fixing to go to Wal-Mart on my way home because the wife asked me too. I'm going to carry it again cause I'm not going in with just a knife.

We as a group do not need to question what somebody carries but embrace the fact they do.

:iagree: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
NRA Member

Topic author
rtschl

Postby rtschl » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
jason812 wrote:

:iagree: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Ron
NRA Member

puma guy

Postby puma guy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

My first question is what handgun was he carrying. The first thing that comes to my mind is a SAA .22 revolver of original design. The hammer could have struck or been struck hard enough to discharge the weapon. It actually doesn't take much to do that.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Liberty

Postby Liberty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm

I don't think it matters much what holster he was carrying, A crash can shred just about any holster.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Take Down Sicko

Postby Take Down Sicko » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Maybe he hit the curb and made a flip like that guy on police academy.

John Galt

Postby John Galt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 pm

I have many miles riding motorcycles under my belt (all lower 48 states) on my touring bike, but have sold it because I no longer trust drivers in cars to pay attention to their surroundings. I have retained the smaller Harley for an occasional ride around the neighborhood.

There is a saying in the motorcycle world, ride as if you are invisible.

txhighlander

Postby txhighlander » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:56 pm

I drive a fuel tanker for a living so I am not screwed to tight to begin with. I get on my Harley every chance that arises and most of the time carry as well. One day I might not live to tell the tale, but living life can be dangerous and so far worth every second. :tiphat:
Truth against the world

treadlightly

Postby treadlightly » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Sympathies for your cousin’s injuries and her loss. I’ve lost three irreplaceable friends on motorcycles. They would understand why I still ride.

I guess you don’t get to pick which briar patch you’re born in. I’ll probably be fine. Good enough odds, I think. It’s freedom, and it has risks.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”