My guns don't need to be pretty, they just need to work

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My guns don't need to be pretty, they just need to work

Post by strogg »

To me, it depends on the gun. My 6.8 SPC AR? It looks disgusting. The hand guard is just a Hogue tube, not at all rail compatible, the scope looks very out of place, the stock is of a fixed type, the mag is metal only, and the pistol grip looks awkwardly goofy. But it works wonderfully and is incredibly ergonomic. It's my go to intermediate caliber rifle. My 1911? It functions very well. It's problem-free, and it is an amazing tack driver. It didn't come out of the box like that. It came out as a clunky, fugly looking thing that didn't shoot straight (fitment problem). As I tweaked the functionality to my liking, it also happened to start looking better and better (unlike my AR). Now it's both accurate and tactically pretty. Arisaka Type 38? It's gorgeous and has an incredible story to tell. I really don't care if it shoots well or not. That is not at all a concern. Remington Speedmaster 522? Hahaha... it's pretty ugly (it's old and beat up) and shoots a 10 MOA group on a good day, assuming it even cycles. It's not something I'm going to get rid of, though, considering it's been in my family for about 50 years now. I think that covers all the bases.

Essentially, for my intents and purposes, prettiness and functionality are two very different things in my books that may or may not overlap, depending on the purpose the particular item serves in my collection. I think most everyone here would agree on that.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

The ugliest gun I have is still very pretty. Guns tend to get prettier the more you use them.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Guns are meant to be used, in doing so, they'll accumulate a few dents, dings and scars just like their owners. By the same token, IMO, guns aren't meant to be abused and trashed, not if you value them.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I like the way people have engraved their guns. or had fancy ceracoating done on them. A set of fancy grips or some slide ports can turn a gun into a work art. Those kewl crafted hosters are ready for Sunday church.

I really do admire the work people have done tarting up their carry. I'm a simple man, with pretty simple taste. I my wife is a reliable and treats me well, a wonderful woman, most times not very fancy though couldn't be more loving and dedicated., My cars are simple, run well and don't cost me a lot are perfect for what they are called to do. I'll replace them someday with new, but they won't be any fancier. Fancy and pretty is fine for some folk and I can admire what others have without being envious.

My guns might not be the fanciest nor the prettiest, but they will do what they are called upon to do. Some of them show a little wear and tear on the outside, but they shoot better than when they were brand new. They fit me and are in no danger of being sold while I'm still alive.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”