Cons - Weapon Lights

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Cons - Weapon Lights

Post by Abraham »

I've yet to make up my mind whether to install a weapon light.

I've read enough at this point, that some find, after installation, they're just not weapon light people.

I wonder why?

Additional weight?

Found to be too bulky?

Have to buy a different holster, and it feels odd with a light?

Is there one outstanding reason people turn away from weapon lights after installing them?

Grundy1133

Re: Cons - Weapon Lights

Post by Grundy1133 »

Personally I just carry a light in my pocket that way I can use it at night and still use it with a drawn gun in case i need to... gun lights seem unnecessary but thats just MHO
NRA Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I used to be of the anti lights lasers population, however with some conversations with combat veterans and LEO friends I have cone around to lights. I still believe that lasers are lazy, unnecessary and create bad habits. On my daily carry 1911 I don't feel the need for a light. Keyword:daily. At night having that light as a deterrent is a huge advantage. The light I keep on my nightstand weapon (also a 1911 :mrgreen: ) does not have the strobe function, however it can be momentarily flickered just as well as a strobe. This is a great way to exert your authority non-lethally in a dangerous situation. The other advantage (the main one) is having a free hand AND a light in dark situations. For instance: changing mags and opening doors, or using your non dominant hand for anything is much easier done with a weapon mounted light. I think the extra weight is a tradeoff. Yes it is a few more ounces to your gun potentially making it less comfortable to carry, however having that weight at the end of your gun can help mitigate recoil and allow for quicker follow up shots. Everybody's situation is different and I think everyone should try out a weapon mounted light. If you don't like it and feel more comfortable with a handheld then by all means go that route. For me personally, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

jb2012 wrote:I used to be of the anti lights lasers population, however with some conversations with combat veterans and LEO friends I have cone around to lights. I still believe that lasers are lazy, unnecessary and create bad habits. On my daily carry 1911 I don't feel the need for a light. Keyword:daily. At night having that light as a deterrent is a huge advantage. The light I keep on my nightstand weapon (also a 1911 :mrgreen: ) does not have the strobe function, however it can be momentarily flickered just as well as a strobe. This is a great way to exert your authority non-lethally in a dangerous situation. The other advantage (the main one) is having a free hand AND a light in dark situations. For instance: changing mags and opening doors, or using your non dominant hand for anything is much easier done with a weapon mounted light. I think the extra weight is a tradeoff. Yes it is a few more ounces to your gun potentially making it less comfortable to carry, however having that weight at the end of your gun can help mitigate recoil and allow for quicker follow up shots. Everybody's situation is different and I think everyone should try out a weapon mounted light. If you don't like it and feel more comfortable with a handheld then by all means go that route. For me personally, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
check out the Thrunite TN12 http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn12-2 ... lashlight/ it's what I carry I've had it for about a year. 5 mode plus a strobe function with max lumens at 1100. and it has memory so if u set it on medium, the next time you turn it on it'll be on medium again. waterproof shock resistant. i absolutely love the thing ive used it many times and use the belt clip that it comes with. (it also comes with a lanyard and a belt holster but i prefer the clip)
NRA Member

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thank you one and all.

I will research every thing suggested.

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RossA »

I am one of the anti-light guys.
Did you ever hear the old Army saying, "tracers work both ways." In other words, a tracer helps the shooter see where his rounds are going, but it also helps the enemy see where they are coming from.
It's the same way with lights. They help you to see if a bad guy is out there, but they also help a bad guy to see you as well.
Just my opinion. Others will disagree.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

strogg

Post by strogg »

RossA wrote:I am one of the anti-light guys.
Did you ever hear the old Army saying, "tracers work both ways." In other words, a tracer helps the shooter see where his rounds are going, but it also helps the enemy see where they are coming from.
It's the same way with lights. They help you to see if a bad guy is out there, but they also help a bad guy to see you as well.
I 100% agree, and I'm a pro-light kind of guy. That's why I don't make the habit of turning on the light to poke around corners. I use it so I can see what I'm aiming at.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

RossA wrote:I am one of the anti-light guys.
You are absolutely correct about that. Unfortunately that is one of the pitfalls of using a light.

Grundy- I'll have to look into that one, sounds very intriguing!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I can't say that I'm anti mounted light, but I don't find a need for them under my daily routine. I Don't go out much at night, My house is dimly lit throughout, and I have no other people in my home other than my wife. My property is small and has lots of indirect lighting around it. My night vision is still pretty decent.

I figure I know my home and surrounds better than anyone breaking in. I have a hard enough time finding holsters and carrying without extra stuff hanging off my guns.

I do have an AR-15, That so far doesn't play an important part in my home defense plans, Plenty of room to hang all kinds of good things on it. Maybe someday a laser, a red dot, and a light. I still haven't decided how I want to dress it up or work it into my home defense plan.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I'm 100% pro light. I also carry a handheld. I've also done a LOT of night shooting, and prefer a weapon light.

If I end up in a situation where I need to fire my weapon in a dark setting (and most violent crime by adults is committed in the evening/night hours), then I really, REALLY want a light on my weapon. Watching for a muzzle flash isn't going to cut it, especially if the attacker is shooting on the move. I also want both hands available for a better grip (which equals faster, more accurate shooting) if possible.

The whole point of a weapon light is having another option. Handhelds can easily be dropped. It's also easy (depending on the technique you're using) under stress to forget you have it on, or point it in the wrong direction from what you're shooting (I see this happen in training all the time).

There are pros to handhelds... I carry one because I like having multiple light sources (in a pinch I can pull my weapon light off and use it, but I've only had to once or twice). You can use a handheld to search without drawing your weapon, or you can use it to light up someone suspicious in a dark parking lot.

After thousands of rounds of shooting in daylight/night/twilight/early mornings, my personal preference is a weapon mounted light coupled with night sights.

Nobody can tell you what your preference will be, but I would highly recommend that you go out and try every technique and tool available, then make your own decision after you know what works for you. And then practice, practice, practice with it. And then your preference might change again. Repeat ;-)
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”