I have a really dumb question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

I have a really dumb question

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I am a 1911 fan. Currently have 5 of them, and have owned and sold about 10 more. All have been in 45 ACP. I have holsters, and mag holders for my 1911's that I really like. I am thinking about getting a 1911 in 9mm. Probably a CCO type model (looking at the DW Valkyrie). Here's the question, are the gun dimensions exactly the same for the same model in 45 and 9mm? In other words, will my holsters work with a 9mm version?

I'm assuming that the 9mm mags will be thinner and may be too loose in my leather mag carrier that was made for 45 cal mags. But does anyone know the exact difference here?

SamBodie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I have a really dumb question

Post by SamBodie »

To the best of my knowledge the exterior dimensions a are the same, at least they are on my Super 39 1911.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

SamBodie wrote:To the best of my knowledge the exterior dimensions a are the same, at least they are on my Super 39 1911.
I assume its how the M&P 9mm and S&W 40 are the same outside dimensions.
NRA Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

Yes, the outer dimensions of the slide and frame are the *same... so all your holsters of appropriate length should work. That's the short answer. I'd bet that DW are standard but you could verify that with a call to your favorite holster maker.

*There are some minor variation in brands and parts like slide releases (even among .45's) so there may be a few exceptions, or cases of "works but not perfect fit." Remember early 2000's springfield loaded models didn't fit standard holsters properly.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote:Yes, the outer dimensions of the slide and frame are the *same... so all your holsters of appropriate length should work. That's the short answer. I'd bet that DW are standard but you could verify that with a call to your favorite holster maker.

*There are some minor variation in brands and parts like slide releases (even among .45's) so there may be a few exceptions, or cases of "works but not perfect fit." Remember early 2000's springfield loaded models didn't fit standard holsters properly.
My 45's are DW's (at least the one that I carry the most, and which is the same size as the Valkyrie), so that should not be an issue.

Thanks, all.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

If you go to the Dan Wesson website, they give all the dimensions for each pistol in the specs. Looking at the CCO in 9mm & .45 show the same exact dimensions.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flechero

Post by flechero »

I've also been wanting a 1911 in 9mm, for a long time... but since I don't load for 9mm, I have resisted. I'll give in when I find the right gun! :fire

strogg

Post by strogg »

1911 dimensions are generally very consistent to make parts easily interchangeable. This includes the mag well, slide, etc. The exterior dimensions of the magazine will be the same because of that. Interior dimensions will be modified to work with the caliber of choice, of course. The extractor will be a bit different. The ejector is also a different size, which means you'll have a larger cutout on the firing pin retainer thing. Of course, the barrel will have a 9mm bore, but the exterior dimensions will be the same. Makes for a nicer, thicker barrel. Spring weights are tuned to the specific caliber too, but those are all the same dimensions.

One other notable difference is the firing pin. The 9mm version is thinner than the .45 version, so you'll need a different size opening on the breech face. The rest of the dimensions on pin are the same. Although the pins aren't interchangeable, more than likely your modern .45 uses a 9mm firing pin anyway. So in a way, that point is now moot.

Other than that, the guns should be exactly the same. Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

DocV

Post by DocV »

My 1911 9mm mags fit fine in my mag holster.
Volkmann 9mm (Springfield type) on the left. 45 ACP on the right:
https://imgur.com/fcaQfRr

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”