Would you buy this 1911?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Would you buy this 1911?

Post by Abraham »

I mentioned earlier: I've owned a Colt Commander 1911. Stovepipes/failure to eject, failure to feed, and I have none of these problems with all my other semi-autos.

Okay, I take that back, I now own a Ruger LC9S that isn't reliable.

I wouldn't sell it or trade it. I will take a hacksaw to it. (well, ok, it has one more chance at the range, only one, if it continues to fail, buh-bye as I wouldn't want anyone to depend on it. It wouldn't be ethical to sell it...)

Then I'll buy a Glock 43 as I still need a light weight yard gun.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:I mentioned earlier: I've owned a Colt Commander 1911. Stovepipes/failure to eject, failure to feed, and I have none of these problems with all my other semi-autos.

Okay, I take that back, I now own a Ruger LC9S that isn't reliable.

I wouldn't sell it or trade it. I will take a hacksaw to it. (well, ok, it has one more chance at the range, only one, if it continues to fail, buh-bye as I wouldn't want anyone to depend on it. It wouldn't be ethical to sell it...)

Then I'll buy a Glock 43 as I still need a light weight yard gun.
I'm not doubting your experience with the Colt. They generally make good guns, but everyone makes a lemon on occasion. I just don't think it's accurate to say that all 1911's are terrible because you had a bad experience with one. I have had bad experiences with a Glock. If that was the first Glock I bought, I wouldn't conclude that all Glocks are terrible. Especially when there are a ton of people who will testify to their positive experience with Glocks, like folks are doing here with 1911's.

On the LC9S, has it been back to Ruger? They have pretty good customer service, and will likely cover shipping both ways. Probably worth the trouble instead of just destroying it. Of course, you could always wait for the next gun buy back and at least get a $50 gift card or whatever.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Yes, it went back to Ruger.

Original problem fixed, then on to more. (though the original problem was so 'out there' I couldn't believe it) but yes, they fixed it, then onto others...

Ruger = junk

Not in the past, now low quality when it comes to semi-autos.

Avoid...

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Yes, it went back to Ruger.

Original problem fixed, then on to more. (though the original problem was so 'out there' I couldn't believe it) but yes, they fixed it, then onto others...

Ruger = junk

Not in the past, now low quality when it comes to semi-autos.

Avoid...
I have owned only one Ruger semi-auto handgun. It is a SR22, which works flawlessly (for a .22 semi-auto). I also have 3 Ruger 10/22 rifles, one of which has had issues, and a Ruger American bolt action rifle which works fine (but it's a bolt action so I didn't really expect any issues). So, of the semi-auto's I'm 3 for four. I definitely would not conclude that Ruger = junk, even though I have had issues with one of them. Maybe that one Ruger = junk, but that's not exactly the same thing. Oh, one more, a Ruger AR-556, but I haven't gotten around to firing that one yet, so who knows. Point is still the same. It would take more than one bad experience for me to conclude that all guns of a given type, or from a given manufacturer, were "junk".

On the plus side, I have had really good luck with the Glock 43. But I would recommend a S&W Shield instead. The 9mm version is a better gun than the G43, IMHO. Although if you are going with a Shield, then you might as well get the .45 ACP model. For some reason, the recoil difference is really negligible in that particular platform.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

My dismay with Ruger LC9S and 1911's isn't based solely on my experience...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”