Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Would you buy this 1911?

Post by Abraham »

Elders...?

I'm older'n Methusala.

Deaf, can barely utter a word, (most of the time I'm completely mute) walk with limp, but I can still shoot adequately...still above ground for however long that lasts...and frankly if it were to end before I type the next word, I've lived a wonderfully adventurous life. Now, don't I sound like an old fart? Oh, let add: Sonny!

P.S. I actually like 1911's, but being a crusty, old, contrarian, I love to hear the howls of the true believers when I criticize them.!

P.P.S. Plus more than half of what I say in general is to hear howls of indignation. It's music to my ears, which I have to shave...sometimes a little orneriness can break a bout of monotony hereabouts...

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

Yeah, yeah... I'll take and make jokes with the best of them. But in this case (I love ya but) you're just wrong.

I've been active on the 1911 forum for 15 years now... I see what people post about the "plain jane" guns... a few need a tweak here and there but the VAST MAJORITY (like most guns) run from the start. I've only ever owned 1 1911 that cost over $1k. All my plain jane guns have run like tops.

There is big a difference in joking around and just spreading bovine excrement. :lol:

:tiphat:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

I've owned only one 1911.

A Colt Commander, treated with loving care and never ever, not once was reliable.

I sold it for pennies.

I also informed the buyer it was a fine paper weight...

Their beautiful, hunks of mostly junk unless made by Ed Brown or some similar super duper high quality mfg.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Abraham wrote:I've owned only one 1911.

A Colt Commander, treated with loving care and never ever, not once was reliable.

I sold it for pennies.

I also informed the buyer it was a fine paper weight...

Their beautiful, hunks of mostly junk unless made by Ed Brown or some similar super duper high quality mfg.
and then there is the Ruger, a company with a reputation for modest well built guns that perm reliably, their SR1911_is also earning a reputation as a reliable modestly priced 1911
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

I have had maybe 12-15 1911's. I still have 7, 1 was not up to par the rest were just fine, any of mine now are just as reliable as anything else and I still carry them regularly, dad's old Swenson is still my favorite carry, I have shot them many 1000's of rounds and would not hesitate on carrying any of them, honestly I have seen very few that did not work well if they were a decent one to start and had not been "improved" ! None of mine are or would be called newer ones.

Para, Colt, A Swenson, STI, SV, Hoag, Kings & Wilson all run fine.
Stay Safe

Topic author
ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

How does a round eject with that thing on there?

flechero

Post by flechero »

ml1209 wrote:How does a round eject with that thing on there?
the slide travels rearward when fired

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

I'd just like to point out that I was not the one this time skewering 1911s and calling them antiques. :lol:
Psalm 91:2

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Not that it matters, but for me, the 1911 is like the AK-47 of combat handguns.

Stupid simple and designed to work (or repaired) under combat conditions. I will never see combat and I've learned to run away from bad situations. The 1911 is an old friend and has never failed to function as designed.

Those of you that love Glocks have the same feelings for your choice. Carry on!
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Diesel42 wrote:Not that it matters, but for me, the 1911 is like the AK-47 of combat handguns.

Stupid simple and designed to work (or repaired) under combat conditions. I will never see combat and I've learned to run away from bad situations. The 1911 is an old friend and has never failed to function as designed.

Nick
Not that it really matters, but the 1911 simple?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Do any of you have a sense of humor when it comes to antique firearms?

1911's aren't all that serious an issue.

Laugh a little, life's too short to get all worked up over a bit of razzing.

How often are other gun models made sport of...?

Many, especially Glock.

But, let's face it, unless the 1911 is of super duper high quality they fail a lot, in fact it's one of the most commonly unreliable pistols on the market, unless of course you want to spend thousands to find one that's generally reliable.

Dieheads, I love ya, but ya gotta realize when truth strikes, truth wins out every time.

Generally speaking, your average 1911 has to be so tweaked to be even faintly reliable you may as well just buy one that cost thousands to begin with cuz if you buy a standard off the shelf model, it'll fail and fail and fail....
Abraham -

Which 1911 models have you owned and what specific issues did you have with them?

Your experience is a lot different than mine. All of the issues I have had have been with non-1911's. I'm guessing that you either bought some very low end 1911's, or have just had incredibly bad luck.

nvm, I see you answered this question up-thread. Let's just say that your sample of one may not be sufficient to allow you to draw conclusions about all 1911's. By that standard half of all potential wives are terrible, because I've been married twice and the first one was a real piece of work.

My experience is 20 or so 1911's owned. The only issue was a non-staked barrel lug. That did not effect anything, but I got it repaired anyway. So between the two of us, we have less than a 5% failure rate for 1911's.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Diesel42 wrote:Not that it matters, but for me, the 1911 is like the AK-47 of combat handguns.

Nick
I've been told or read (I can't remember which), that the John Moses Browning spec 1911 is almost unstoppable. It's the tightening of tolerances and clearances to make a "nice" 1911 that have hurt the reliability.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

flechero

Post by flechero »

jason812 wrote:
I've been told or read (I can't remember which), that the John Moses Browning spec 1911 is almost unstoppable. It's the tightening of tolerances and clearances to make a "nice" 1911 that have hurt the reliability.
I can't agree or disagree on reliability since all mine have been "right on Bob" but here is the info on the original torture tests by the Army:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... -the-1911/
On March 3, 1911, the Army began a torture test. Each pistol would be fired 100 times, then allowed to cool for five minutes. After each 1,000 rounds the pistols would be cleaned and oiled. After 6,000 rounds, the pistols were tested with deformed cartridges, some with bullets seated too deeply, others not seated enough. The test pistols were soaked in water, mud and even acid. Browning’s design passed every test without a single failure—the first of any firearm to survive such a 6,000-round test.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”