Curious as to what the instructors/“experts” carry?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Curious as to what the instructors/“experts” carry?

Post by LeonCarr »

Allons wrote:My instructor for LTC course only carried 1911's. He called all other guns throw away's.
I guess your LTC Instructor likes doing live fire malfunction drills. :smilelol5:

A quick google search of instructors who started out as big 1911 proponents (Chuck Taylor, Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers) now carry Glocks as their primary carry gun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jb2012 »

LeonCarr wrote:
Allons wrote:My instructor for LTC course only carried 1911's. He called all other guns throw away's.
I guess your LTC Instructor likes doing live fire malfunction drills. :smilelol5:
I think he just prefers a sidearm combat proven for over 100 years!! :coolgleamA: All jokes aside I would bet that instructor isn't carrying a Taurus or Philippino 1911.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

The two instructors I admire the most carry S&W M&P 9mm.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

Instructor during my class was carrying a glock 27, was a LEO and carried a 23 while on duty. As to the LCP as a first carry, that was and still is my normal carry gun, but even so I try to discourage people new to shooting from buying one. Still trying to convince the other half to take up shooting to some extent so she can get a LTC and carry. She works at a pharmacy with several clients who are on too many opioids so I worry. For learning I plan on teaching her on my steel frame 1911, then transitioning to a smaller 9mm.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I remember that the lead instructor for my very first CHL class in 2007 pocket carried a Kahr PM9, while I think his helper had a Glock 19. I shot the qual with a HK USP Compact .40 and left my 1911 at home.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I shot the qual with a HK USP Compact .40 and left my 1911 at home.
Didn't want to embarrass the rest of the shooters on the line with a perfect score? Your humility is admirable! :lol: :tiphat:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flechero wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I shot the qual with a HK USP Compact .40 and left my 1911 at home.
Didn't want to embarrass the rest of the shooters on the line with a perfect score? Your humility is admirable! :lol: :tiphat:
:mrgreen: Actually, it was more simple than that. I wasn’t sure how long each string of fire would be, and the HK had a 13 round magazine, as opposed to the 7 round mag of the commander sized Sig 1911 I owned at the time. I didn’t want to have to reload in the middle of a string of fire.

I know it sounds stupid now, but back then I just had no idea of what to expect, and I wanted to be prepared. As it was, I shot very well with that gun and got a pretty good score.....although I no longer remember what it was.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by surferdaddy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
flechero wrote:
:mrgreen: Actually, it was more simple than that. I wasn’t sure how long each string of fire would be, and the HK had a 13 round magazine, as opposed to the 7 round mag of the commander sized Sig 1911 I owned at the time. I didn’t want to have to reload in the middle of a string of fire.

I know it sounds stupid now, but back then I just had no idea of what to expect, and I wanted to be prepared. As it was, I shot very well with that gun and got a pretty good score.....although I no longer remember what it was.
This was why I got a PPQ to practice for and qualify for my instructor license. Aside from having a pretty rediculous trigger and resulting accuracy, it held enough rounds that I wasn’t worried about running out of bullets mid stream.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I was made to unload my mags and reload only 5 rounds at a time. I had originally brought 5 12 round full mags.

Allons

Post by Allons »

jb2012 wrote:
LeonCarr wrote:
I think he just prefers a sidearm combat proven for over 100 years!! :coolgleamA: All jokes aside I would bet that instructor isn't carrying a Taurus or Philippino 1911.
Wilson combat was his weapon of choice.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Allons wrote:

*Sighhhhh someday a Wilson or 5 will be in my carry rotation

Allons

Post by Allons »

jb2012 wrote:
Allons wrote:

*Sighhhhh someday a Wilson or 5 will be in my carry rotation
Yeah I wish It were in my carry rotation too. I can't seem to find a range with the try before you buy option though...I wonder why? :lol:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

AndyC wrote:This was my first Texas CHL test, shot with a Philippino 1911 and my 200gr SWCs. The flecks scattered over the target like fly-poop are from the overly-soft lube I was using at the time.
My understanding that the "Phlipino" 1911s are manufactured on old Colt machinery. Nuff said.....along with that target.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

oljames3 wrote:"What Some Clueful Instructors Carry as a Defensive Firearm | Active Self Protection Extra"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erejjFtnz64
Fantastic video answer. Punchline:
  • Common: 9mm; Glock or S&W M&P; Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot
  • Rare: 1911; stock glock
  • Always concealed; Almost always on waist
  • Always one in the chamber
  • Almost all firearms do not have an on/off switch (manual safety)
  • Graphical survey responses (click "see Previous responses")
acronym 4/26/2018 10:58 AM

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”