Glock generation 4 and 5

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SkipB
Posts in topic: 2

Glock generation 4 and 5

Post by SkipB »

Can any of you glock guy's explain to me the difference between a Glock 19 gen 4 and gen 5. I thinking about a Glock 19 and have seen several 4's.
Skip Bishop

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glock generation 4 and 5

Post by bblhd672 »

SkipB wrote:Can any of you glock guy's explain to me the difference between a Glock 19 gen 4 and gen 5. I thinking about a Glock 19 and have seen several 4's.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/glock- ... z5Do82kgVe

https://auctionarmory.com/gen-4-and-gen ... -are-they/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=difference+be ... 1_g&ia=web
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero

Post by flechero »

the gen 5 is more perfect than the gen 4? Sorry, I got nuthin' :lol:

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

flechero wrote:the gen 5 is more perfect than the gen 4? Sorry, I got nuthin' :lol:
the thing i like about gen 5 is the ambidextrous slide release.
NRA Member

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

Can't say anything about the gen5 but, the gen4's have a marginally better grip than gen3. Although the grip is thinner (to me) the plastic seems more flimsy. I suppose that's the trade off. And it looks to me like the new gen5's have the nose profile of the old g26. Looks better, but that's subjective. Any of them are worth a look. You can't lose anything by getting one.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

My gen 3 G19 sports a hogue handall grip sleeve.

So does my Ruger LC9S, though I may be buying a Sig 365 to replace it, if, when, the cost comes down.

Plus, buying a new (almost anything...) isn't something I like to do.

Why?

I'm not into beta testing.

That's for the 'I gotta have it now' guys....

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Glock Gen 4
Finger grooves
Flat squared slide
Textured grip
Removable back straps
Standard Glock polygonal barrel
And can switch mag release to either side

Glock Gen 5
NO finger grooves
Ambi slide release/stop
Beveled slide to help re-holstering
Textured grip
Removable back straps
Glocks new marksman barrel
And can switch mag release to other side

Topic author
SkipB

Post by SkipB »

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the info.
Skip Bishop

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Grundy1133 wrote:
flechero wrote:the gen 5 is more perfect than the gen 4? Sorry, I got nuthin' :lol:

Yea I've never understood how glock is "perfection" but yet there is a million upgrades and add ons out there, and multiple generations.. how do you improve perfection?

Allons

Post by Allons »

Odinvalknir wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

Yea I've never understood how glock is "perfection" but yet there is a million upgrades and add ons out there, and multiple generations.. how do you improve perfection?
:thumbs2: :iagree:
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Allons wrote:
Odinvalknir wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

:thumbs2: :iagree:

Not to mention the retarded slide release. Granted you should always unload a gun before cleaning or stripping, but so many idiots don't and end up blowing off their hand or fingers bc they cover the muzzle while trying to push the stupid little tabs down.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Besides the obvious, internally, the locking block is different because of the 2 pin design. The takedown lever spring is now a coil spring instead of a leaf spring. The trigger group is also different with different trigger bar, trigger return spring, and firing pin block. The slide catch is also utilizing a different spring compared to the Gen 4 as well. Other than that, it looks like a Glock and shoots like a Glock.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:My gen 3 G19 sports a hogue handall grip sleeve.

So does my Ruger LC9S, though I may be buying a Sig 365 to replace it, if, when, the cost comes down.

Plus, buying a new (almost anything...) isn't something I like to do.

Why?

I'm not into beta testing.

That's for the 'I gotta have it now' guys....
For what it’s worth, the Gen 5 is just a Gen 4 with a couple of refinements; the Gen 4 is a Gen 3 with a couple of refinements; the Gen 3 is a Gen 2 with a couple of refinements; etc., etc., etc. Glock ”beta testing” ended about 40 years ago. I’m not suggesting you should run right out and buy a Gen 5, but if you actually wanted one, I wouldn’t let “beta testing” get in the way of buying a new Glock.
cmgee67 wrote:Glock Gen 4
Finger grooves
Flat squared slide
Textured grip
Removable back straps
Standard Glock polygonal barrel
And can switch mag release to either side

Glock Gen 5
NO finger grooves
Ambi slide release/stop
Beveled slide to help re-holstering
Textured grip
Removable back straps
Glocks new marksman barrel
And can switch mag release to other side
I’ll admit that I’d like some of those Gen 5 features that it has over the Gen 4s. Although I’ve gotten used to them, getting rid of the finger grooves is a long-overdue improvement; and as a lefty, adding an ambidextrous slide release to the already ambidextrous mag release was the right thing for Glock to do. I do like the beveled slide on my G26, but that feature is less important to me than the others. I like what Glock has done with the Gen 5 guns, but not enough to run out and buy a new one just to have those features. OTH, if I ever find myself in the position of buying another Glock, I’d be willing to pay a little bit more for a Gen 5 - just like I had to do to have a Gen 4 over a Gen 3.

Hmmmm..... I still don’t own a Glock in .45 ACP.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I’ll admit that I’d like some of those Gen 5 features that it has over the Gen 4s. Although I’ve gotten used to them, getting rid of the finger grooves is a long-overdue improvement; and as a lefty, adding an ambidextrous slide release to the already ambidextrous mag release was the right thing for Glock to do. I do like the beveled slide on my G26, but that feature is less important to me than the others. I like what Glock has done with the Gen 5 guns, but not enough to run out and buy a new one just to have those features. OTH, if I ever find myself in the position of buying another Glock, I’d be willing to pay a little bit more for a Gen 5 - just like I had to do to have a Gen 4 over a Gen 3.

TAM you should pick up a 21. That’s my favorite Glock other than the 19. To me it’s the sweetest shooting Glock and I love the one we have. I owned a 30 and it was okay but I never got around to really liking it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cmgee67 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I’ll admit that I’d like some of those Gen 5 features that it has over the Gen 4s. Although I’ve gotten used to them, getting rid of the finger grooves is a long-overdue improvement; and as a lefty, adding an ambidextrous slide release to the already ambidextrous mag release was the right thing for Glock to do. I do like the beveled slide on my G26, but that feature is less important to me than the others. I like what Glock has done with the Gen 5 guns, but not enough to run out and buy a new one just to have those features. OTH, if I ever find myself in the position of buying another Glock, I’d be willing to pay a little bit more for a Gen 5 - just like I had to do to have a Gen 4 over a Gen 3.
TAM you should pick up a 21. That’s my favorite Glock other than the 19. To me it’s the sweetest shooting Glock and I love the one we have. I owned a 30 and it was okay but I never got around to really liking it.
I’d need a threaded barrel for it, since I already own a .45 suppressor. My 1911 and XDM45 both have threaded barrels, but they don’t function reliably with the suppressor mounted. OTH, my G17 and G19 just chug right along, suppressor or no suppressor.

Still..... I need an autoloading tactical shotgun more than I need another .45 pistol.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”