Daniel Defense - Friend or Foe

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cyphertext
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Daniel Defense - Friend or Foe

Post by cyphertext »

And to address Rotors comment that "Many people at the convention are from states that don't allow rifles to under 21"... Many people were at the convention, very few under 21, and I bet that most of those who were under 21 were from Texas... Now is not the time to push the 18 to 20 year old crowd away. We need as many of them on our side as we can get. From looking at the crowd at the convention, the average age of NRA members seems to be north of 40... This simply should not have happened at the NRA convention.

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

Rather than continuing to argue the point, I really don't know why DD would not let your son enroll in the raffle or whatever it was. You could have so easily just asked them rather than posting this.
We just had a post about Ellen's with a definite anti gun note on their receipts. No question Ellen's is anti 2A. But DD?
We have so many groups to criticize for their anti 2A beliefs, Dick's, Yeti, Citigroup, National Car rental, you name it. Do you really believe Daniel Defense is anti 2A?

Topic author
cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

rotor wrote:Rather than continuing to argue the point, I really don't know why DD would not let your son enroll in the raffle or whatever it was. You could have so easily just asked them rather than posting this.
We just had a post about Ellen's with a definite anti gun note on their receipts. No question Ellen's is anti 2A. But DD?
We have so many groups to criticize for their anti 2A beliefs, Dick's, Yeti, Citigroup, National Car rental, you name it. Do you really believe Daniel Defense is anti 2A?
I believe that DD has erred on their position in the past, and appears to err on it again when dealing with folks under the age of 21. And, I have asked DD, but they have not responded as of yet. It's not the first time a 2A company did something that didn't really support 2A. Ruger supported banning of high capacity magazines. S&W made a deal with the Clinton administration. Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms have also been under the microscope lately... so this is not the first time that a pro-gun business has made a dumb move to alienate itself from the gun community.

I really don't see this much different than that of Yeti, to be honest. Yeti decided not to do business with the NRA. Daniel Defense decided not to do business with a subset of NRA members, specifically 18 to 20 year olds... We blasted Yeti and supported the NRA position. The NRA has stated that they do not support raising the age to purchase rifles, so I have also emailed the NRA to let them know what happened at the convention and asked if this is acceptable coming from an Exclusive Guardian Sponsor.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

There are two separate discussions that I wanted to address in this thread. The first is the question of how to deal with 18-20 year-old adults and the current threat to their rights. I do not believe that any organization or group of people in any hobby can afford to turn away young people who are interested. We need to get the young people interested and keep them close IF we want our hobby and rights to continue. Apple understood this philosophy when they started giving computers and software to elementary schools. Hook the kids young and they will be Apple fans for a long time.

I firmly believe that this is one of the reasons the anti-gun crowds are pushing both the school protests and the raise in age to buy firearms. It has nothing to do with safety, which we all know. It has everything to do with a long term removal of firearms rights. We need to counter this in several ways, but especially in reaching out to youth and young adults to get them interested in fairness if not in firearms. I have also started answering these people with a simple phrase that the leftists started in a different area - "My rights are not subject to debate." I agree with the women who say that and I believe it should be our answer to.

The second, and just as important, is what makes a company or person a friend or a foe in this area. I do not expect anyone to ever agree with me 100% on anything. I can vote for a politician who is not 100% with me on firearms, I have friends who are just anti-gun as can be, and I don't really care about many businesses and their stance on firearms. I will not do business with Enterprise car rental but I don't really consider them a foe yet. Firearms are not their business and they get to decide who they give discounts to, whether I agree or not. I would not support a strong boycott of them because I don't see them as a real foe. I think we can talk with them and possibly convince them to support us, especially if we can make a good business case for it.

But you could compare that to Dick's. Dick's could make their decision and I did not consider them a foe. I thought it was a poor business decision but it is their business. They moved to being a foe when they decided to hire lobbyists to work against what I believe in. But the similarity between Enterprise and Dick's is that neither of them is truly a firearms company. Firearms were a small part of the sporting goods business at Dick's, so they might reasonably have decided they could lose it. Last time I went in their store, it looked much more like a team sports store than an outdoor sports store (until they got the Field and Stream side business).

Now take a look at Daniel Defense. Their primary function is firearms. I do not see their supporting any gun control measure and not being a foe. In this, I put them in line with the old Smith and Wesson. One position against my firearms interests is all it takes to make them a foe. When S&W made their decision I stopped buying their products and started working to convince others to. If they had not been sold to a company who changed their position, I would still not own any of their weapons. As a matter of fact, the only S&W I have bought since then is a thirty year old revolver that was bought used as a trade-in from a PD.

I will wait to see if DD is actually taking a position or if there was some other reasonable explanation. If they take a position against any part of firearms, I will consider them a foe. Right now, I am in the wait and see position though.
Steve Rothstein

BBYC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BBYC »

Did they do a background check on everyone before allowing them to enter the drawing? If not, I don't believe any excuses about other state's laws that don't apply in Texas, where this happened.

OP: I hope your son tells all his friends what a great time he had and about DD not wanting 18-20yo business.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

BBYC wrote:Did they do a background check on everyone before allowing them to enter the drawing? If not, I don't believe any excuses about other state's laws that don't apply in Texas, where this happened.

OP: I hope your son tells all his friends what a great time he had and about DD not wanting 18-20yo business.
Trust me, he has! I heard him talking to friends last night. He had a great time at the convention, and he and his friends do not have a positive view of DD due to this.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”