Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

TIP: Gun cleaning indoors

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Since I started using Pro 7, I've been able to clean my guns inside in my reloading room. Although it's much nicer, especially during the hotter months, I don't like getting solvent on my reloading bench. I was at Sam's Club today and saw a box of "Puppy Training Pads" and decided to give them a try.

I was somewhat surprised to see that, even though I was using a single pad, it did not leak through to the bench during an extended cleaning session with several pistols. It was very absorbent but it did not soak through the bottom liquid-proof layer. Pro 7 is a mild solvent, so it might not work as well with others like Hoppe's No. 9, Ed's Red or the much harsher solvents like Sweet's. I might try them later (in the garage), so I can report back.

Chas.

mot7981

Re: TIP: Gun cleaning indoors

Post by mot7981 »

I agree with Mr. Cotton. I have been using these pads for several years now and they work great. I've used no. 9 with them as well with no issues although I wouldn't recommend spilling a whole bottle to test their effectiveness. Here's another tip to add. I pick them up at the dollar store in the pet section. They usually come in packs of three or five. One pad will last several cleanings but at that price, who cares? Use as many as you like.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

Aside from cleaning my own guns, I clean a lot of customer guns so I'm always looking for tips.

M-Pro 7 is excellent. I keep a 32 oz spray bottle of it close by my bench. I've got the copper cleaner too but don't use it much.

I'm too cheap to go the puppy pad route. I cut boxes down and use them.

Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is another favorite. Anything that has heavy carbon buildup gets a shot of that and it's 'indoor friendly.'

Small parts, I'll sometimes toss them in a ziplock bag, shoot it full of foaming cleaner, let it sit. Get more cleaning life out of the magic fluid.

Best cleaning tool, Remington SQUEEG-E kit covering all the major calibers up to 12 ga. Pull all the cleaning gunk and fouling out of your barrels in one pass. No more pushing patches through till they come out clean.

I go through a 100 count box of nitrile gloves pretty quickly.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

My wife is used to the smell of gun cleaning solvents since my main one is a 50/50 mix of Kroil and Hoppes (I normally clean on a portable table I set up in the living room). I use the MPro 7 too but I have the Tekmats that I clean on so they soak up solvent.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Funny- I read the title and assumed it was a question on which solvents smell less. :lol:

Been a user of puppy pads for years for gun cleaning plus most 'would be' garage projects that end up in the utility room, mid summer!!

***Tip for current users- buy them in the pharmacy area as people pads for incontinence and they are even cheaper- in bigger sizes.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Wow, these are all great ideas. I am going to get some today.

Joe

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Scott B. wrote:Aside from cleaning my own guns, I clean a lot of customer guns so I'm always looking for tips.

M-Pro 7 is excellent. I keep a 32 oz spray bottle of it close by my bench. I've got the copper cleaner too but don't use it much.

I'm too cheap to go the puppy pad route. I cut boxes down and use them.

Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is another favorite. Anything that has heavy carbon buildup gets a shot of that and it's 'indoor friendly.'

Small parts, I'll sometimes toss them in a ziplock bag, shoot it full of foaming cleaner, let it sit. Get more cleaning life out of the magic fluid.

Best cleaning tool, Remington SQUEEG-E kit covering all the major calibers up to 12 ga. Pull all the cleaning gunk and fouling out of your barrels in one pass. No more pushing patches through till they come out clean.

I go through a 100 count box of nitrile gloves pretty quickly.
I looked at M-Pro 7 and it looks good enough to give it a try. Do you use their LPX lubricant as well?

Also, do you use anything special to clean out the plastic fouling on your shotguns?
Psalm 91:2

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

SQLGeek wrote:
Scott B. wrote:Aside from cleaning my own guns, I clean a lot of customer guns so I'm always looking for tips.

M-Pro 7 is excellent. I keep a 32 oz spray bottle of it close by my bench. I've got the copper cleaner too but don't use it much.....
I looked at M-Pro 7 and it looks good enough to give it a try. Do you use their LPX lubricant as well?

Also, do you use anything special to clean out the plastic fouling on your shotguns?
I've not tried the LPX. Have you?

I use a couple of different lubricants depending on the application.

- Slip2000 EWL 30 is my go to.
- I've been testing one from a local Houston company called 2A GUN OIL from PolyDyn. So far, seems like pretty slick stuff.
- When grease is called for, I use Mil-Comm TW25B, mostly because of the handy reusable syringe.

Plastic fouling from shotgun shells. That's actually on my to figure out list. I ordered a product that said it was really good for that, can't remember the name and haven't seen it show up yet. Going to shoot skeet league next month for the first time and thought I might need it!

I'm hunting for a good one piece shotgun cleaning rod if you have any suggestions. I like the Tipton carbon fiber rods but thought I should look around some first.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I have not used LPX though I think I'm going to give that and their gun cleaner a try since I'm almost out of Ballistol.

For my shotguns and rifles, I use a boresnake and the Otis kit. I like the pull through feature that both offer and the Otis kit has a 12 GA adapter to make a snug seal with the bore. I think it does a pretty good job of cleaning.

Please let me know what you figure out for plastic fouling as I'm on the hunt myself.
Psalm 91:2

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I've tried a 'raw carbon fiber' boresnake my dad gave me to try. It's yellow and supposedly can be cleaned with hot soapy water. Yeah....not so much.

I do use a tornado brush which is pretty good about fouling. I think the trick on the plastic wad buildup is to clean more frequently. :mrgreen:

But once it gets built up, it can be tough. I've read about guys using a drill to power clean w/ a bit of cleaning rod chucked in it. Can't say I'm a big fan of that idea on my nice shotgun.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

May/June issue of American Handgunner has an article about environmentally friendly products, I'll be trying Hoppes Elite.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

SQLGeek wrote:Please let me know what you figure out for plastic fouling as I'm on the hunt myself.
Ended up in a small sporting clays charity tournament this morning. The mystery can of cleaning fluid came in Friday or Saturday while I was out. So it was the perfect time to give it a try this afternoon. I'd put a hundred plus rounds thru the gun and another 75 by a squad mate who's gun malfunctioned. I've only owned the gun since Monday, brand new, and I'd put about 125 rounds thru it during the week in testing. I had cleaned it after that session.

Shooter's Choice: Shotgun & Choke Tube Cleaner is not indoor or human friendly. However, it does a heck of a job on fouled barrels. I gave both barrels a good dosing per the instructions, waited a few minutes, and then hit it with the tornado brush. Black, oddly stringy gunk came out the end of the barrels like you wouldn't believe. I'm assuming the stringy stuff is bits of chemically melted plastic?

With that thought, I became immediately concerned for my front fiber optic sight.

I'd say it works pretty good, but don't breath it in. My lungs feel I've smoked a stogie.

...and somehow I took home a trophy today. Crazy. :txflag:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”