How many acres needed for shooting?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

How many acres needed for shooting?

Post by mloamiller »

My wife are getting to the age that we're starting to talk about what's "next" in our lives. One thing we've been talking about is buying some acreage that would allow me to setup a small range for my personal use and an occasional shooting and/or LTC class. Someone once told me - and I don't know where he got this from - to be careful where you buy property. At the moment, it might be unincorporated so shooting would be OK, but if a nearby city decides to annex the area, you could lose the ability to shoot on your property. He also said that there was a state law that said if you had at least x acres (10 maybe?), you would maintain the ability to shoot on your property even if annexed.

Is anyone familiar with the laws in this regard, and/or know where I could find more information?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

comp73

Re: How many acres needed for shooting?

Post by comp73 »

Depends on the property location, but no matter the size, you are responsible for ensuring that anything shot out of a firearm stays within your property unless you have permission from a neighbor. Anything under 10 acres, the city or county can pass regulations banning shooting on your property.

I believe this thread actually shows the relevant statutes.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66984

-Mark
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by uthornsfan »

Taken from

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... LG.229.htm

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
Last edited by uthornsfan on Fri May 11, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 18 (S.B. 734), Sec. 4, eff. May 3, 2005.

Sec. 229.003. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON BY CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES. (a) This section applies only to a municipality located wholly or partly in a county:

(1) with a population of 750,000 or more;

(2) in which all or part of a municipality with a population of one million or more is located; and

(3) that is located adjacent to a county with a population of two million or more.

(b) Notwithstanding Section 229.002, a municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and:

(i) more than 1,000 feet from:

(a) the property line of a public tract of land, generally accessible by the public, that is routinely used for organized sporting or recreational activities or that has permanent recreational facilities or equipment; and

(b) the property line of a school, hospital, or commercial day-care facility;

(ii) more than 600 feet from:

(a) the property line of a residential subdivision; and

(b) the property line of a multifamily residential complex; and

(iii) more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and:

(i) more than 1,000 feet from:

(a) the property line of a public tract of land, generally accessible by the public, that is routinely used for organized sporting or recreational activities or that has permanent recreational facilities or equipment; and

(b) the property line of a school, hospital, or commercial day-care facility;

(ii) more than 600 feet from:

(a) the property line of a residential subdivision; and

(b) the property line of a multifamily residential complex; and

(iii) more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(3) discharged at a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of a tract of land.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Added by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1230 (S.B. 1742), Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2009.

Amended by:

Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1163 (H.B. 2702), Sec. 81, eff. September 1, 2011.

Sec. 229.004. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON BY CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES. (a) This section applies only to a municipality located in a county in which the majority of the population of two or more municipalities with a population of 300,000 or more are located.

(b) Notwithstanding Section 229.002, a municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality on or before September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(A) on a tract of land of 100 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(A) on a tract of land of 100 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

OK, so you're saying that I'm not supposed to shoot cans with my BB gun in the back yard? Hopefully, my son's Nerf guns are still OK.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

My municipality specifically bans discharging BB guns within city limits.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

couzin

Post by couzin »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:OK, so you're saying that I'm not supposed to shoot cans with my BB gun in the back yard? Hopefully, my son's Nerf guns are still OK.
As said by Hoorah - IF your municipality/city has passed an ordinance saying you cannot, then no. If I owned 100 acres inside any city I would have to be thinking about cashing in, not shooting in my back yard...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”