Does anybody here still carry a revolver?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

cheezit
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Does anybody here still care a revolver?

Post by cheezit »

puma guy wrote:
cheezit wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
cheezit wrote:S&W model 36, 37, 38 are among the collection of revolvers I carry from time to time.
I don't understand the draw to the newer ruger revolvers over the vintage s&w's on the used market. For less money you get a gun that will go up in value and has a better trigger.
I have a S&W 36 no dash. It was made August 1984 and hasn’t been shot five rounds. I love it I just don’t carry it. I carry a couple of other J Frames.

I am on the look out for a S&W 37. So if your gets to be a burden you have my number. :thumbs2:
If I find another at a good price I'll let you know,
But I'm always on the look out for pinned j frames at good prices.
I wish you'd posted a week earlier there was a pinned barrel Model 37 on Gunbroker that went for $402
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769104576
Good price for local pick up. By the time you pay transfer and shipping it goes from good price to I can hunt that local. I think I paid $350 For my last one and $ 450 for a lnib with correct box and sold for $500 A few months later.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

cheezit wrote:
puma guy wrote:
cheezit wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
cheezit wrote:S&W model 36, 37, 38 are among the collection of revolvers I carry from time to time.
I don't understand the draw to the newer ruger revolvers over the vintage s&w's on the used market. For less money you get a gun that will go up in value and has a better trigger.
I have a S&W 36 no dash. It was made August 1984 and hasn’t been shot five rounds. I love it I just don’t carry it. I carry a couple of other J Frames.

I am on the look out for a S&W 37. So if your gets to be a burden you have my number. :thumbs2:
If I find another at a good price I'll let you know,
But I'm always on the look out for pinned j frames at good prices.
I wish you'd posted a week earlier there was a pinned barrel Model 37 on Gunbroker that went for $402
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769104576
Good price for local pick up. By the time you pay transfer and shipping it goes from good price to I can hunt that local. I think I paid $350 For my last one and $ 450 for a lnib with correct box and sold for $500 A few months later.
I've got two Model 36's from the 60's floating around in the stolen gun world. S/N's were 40 guns apart. I bought two Model 60's back then and they're still in the box. I still have one and gave the other one to my middle daughter.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LDB415 »

Tex1961 wrote: I heard about them new fangled thangs called safety's. Round here we call them a dead mans switch...
:fire
All my firearms, whether revolver or pistol and whether handgun or long gun all have the same safety device and safety lever. The safety lever is about 3 inches long. The safety device is about 3 pounds. They are identical and function identically as well on every one.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

MechAg94

Re: Does anybody here still carry a revolver?

Post by MechAg94 »

I have revolvers, but I am not set up to carry any of them except the little snubby. I need to fix that. I have a S&W with 3" barrel and 7-shot 357 magnum cylinder that would be a decent carry gun. I need at least one speed loader also.

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

Sonetimes, when I only have myself to worry about, I'll carry either my:

GP100 4" .357 mag
SP 101 3 1/4" .357 mag
SP101 2" .357 mag
S&W 940 9mm

With several speed strips or moon clips. The .357s with Remington Express 125 grain SJHP full blown magnum and the 940 with Federal HST 124 grain +p.

By myself I figure I can maneuver myself out of trouble or run and achieve cover for reloading purposes much faster when I don't have to worry about wife or grandkids. Plus, the .357s are going to be deafening, and I'd hate to expose my grandkids to that.

But when I've got them with me, it's always a semi-auto of some sort, and at least two extra magazines.

Edited to add: and I always have a .380 Pico/LCP or .38 Special LCR in the left front pocket in addition to whatever else I'm carrying, so that augments the low capacity of the revolver.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

what do you all think of the Kimber K6s? I like 6 of 357 in a little package. The Kimber name has me a bit spooked.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

stash

Post by stash »

When I carry a revolver (pretty much all the time) it is the LCR .38 or the SP101 .38, both loaded with the old FBI load. I know there are better loads out there but I do like the load I carry which is Buffalo Bore. I carry this load for SD and not for target.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/ ... ested.html
The man, identified as David Scott Haney, 49, was discovered and on Saturday was charged with taking a .40-caliber service revolver issued to a Pasco County sheriff’s detective.
Apparently, there is at least one Florida Sheriff's Detective carrying a .40 Service Revolver. :biggrinjester: :banghead:

And this is from the one network that we would hope would get it right. Is there no writer/reporter that does any research any longer? :sad:

On a side note: the article also claims the gun was stolen. How can that be? It was abandoned in a bathroom and found by this guy. He didn't take it from the detective. He took it from the bathroom. :biggrinjester:

EDIT: Upon further review, there appears to be a couple models of a .40 revolver. However, what are the odds of a LEO actually carrying one and then the same LEO leaving it in a bathroom. Hmm, starting to make me wonder if it might have been intentional. :evil2:
Last edited by C-dub on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Yes a 1960s era Charter Arms Undercover 38!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

cherokeepilot

Post by cherokeepilot »

Folks….
After carrying high capacity auto pistols in .45ACP and 9mm for over twenty years, I have returned to carrying my old original revolvers as my everyday primary carry. These revolvers were my everyday duty service carry that I had learned and practiced and besides they are already paid for…..and now, I’m a Retired Kamikaze Pilot and not legally obligated to pursue and capture. The two revolvers are S&W K & L models №.: 19-2½”bbl, and a №.: 65-3”bbl.

While these two revolvers are carried in a rotation with the Mod 65 as primary, I have found that both revolvers are interchangeable in fit and carry in a variety of different style, carry and manufacturer holsters. I do keep a couple of BUGs for when we are going on serious social calling or some folks are gettn’ let loose from an assortment of correctional facilities.

73s
73s
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

C-dub wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:03 pmOn a side note: the article also claims the gun was stolen. How can that be? It was abandoned in a bathroom and found by this guy. He didn't take it from the detective. He took it from the bathroom. :biggrinjester:
Just to clarify, since Florida and Texas may be similar in this case, but under our laws, theft is taking any property without the consent of the owner. That includes found property if the owner did not actually abandon it. You really aer supposed to turn in anything you find, not just let the loser weep about it. :lol:
Steve Rothstein

mloot
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mloot »

I just picked up a .357 LCRx and have been carrying it in a Concealment Solutions Cobra OWB holster. It is a lot more comfortable and lighter than the Steyr 9mm I have been carrying for several months, and even in OWB setup it is not as noticeable as the Steyr in my IWB holster.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

For years I carried a PM9. Four or so years ago I switched to the S&W Airweight 430 with 38 +P in one front pocket and three speed loaders in the other. I ride a Harley most of the time. LOL... even in the rain or cold. I just like the security of pocket carry over holster carry when it comes to dumping my weapon out on the highway.

I am about to say something here that is not popular opinion these days. Never ever ever in my 50 years of shooting has a revolver ever failed to go bang in my hands. But I can't count the number of times a semi auto has malfunctioned. Once is too much if it is at the wrong time and place.

I will tell you another favorite reason. I am often wearing my leather jacket when riding, except in warm weather, and I like to carry in my jacket pocket. I often ride alone and find myself in areas I am not familiar with. I can keep my right hand on my gun in ready to fire grip(finger index of coarse) so if attacked like the couple in a recent posting, I can and will fire right out of my pocket. A semi auto complicates this method.

Qunine

Post by Qunine »

I don't have a revolver but below are some of the reasons I have heard from various people on why they carry a revolver.
1. Some people just like revolvers better then semi autos
2. If you carry a snubbie in your purse or coat pocket, you can shoot through the pocket or purse with no malfunctions, cannot do that with a semi auto.
3. Some people think pocket carry with a snubbie does not print like a gun. The print pattern is a bit more broken up.
4. You can carry the magical .327 federal magnum cartridge. Near 357 mag performance with significantly less felt recoil than 357 mag. Apparently Ruger will be coming out with an LCR chambered in .327.
5. Some people do not have the hand strength to rack the slide of a semi-auto
6. Oh yeah, then there is the revolvers are more reliable argument, which is probably true.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Themistocles said, - "The Athenians govern the Greeks; I govern the Athenians; you, my wife, govern me; your son governs you."
Cheers, https://diceus.com/business-intelligence-developer/
Last edited by Qunine on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”