Protectant for Parkerized Finish?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Protectant for Parkerized Finish?

Post by dlh »

Picked up my new Mossberg 590A1 shotgun yesterday! An awesome shotgun!

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-51663/

This is my first firearm with a Parkerized finish. I pulled out a Rem-oil wipe to wipe the barrel down but the wipe hardly fazed it. Maybe the wipe was getting dry from sitting a long time in its container--not sure.

Ballistol...Breakfree...Mobil1?

I searched on the internet and read some guys put barrels in the oven, etc. but I don't want to go to those extremes.

What do you guys use as a protectant and how do you apply it?
Last edited by dlh on Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Protectant for Parkerized Finish?

Post by flechero »

I don't apply a specific protectant... a park'd finish is much more durable than your standard blued finish so I wouldn't worry excessively over it. Although I only use my shotgun barrels to direct lead, not club :smash: or finish things off! :lol: Clean after shooting/hunting and then wipe down with a silicon cloth when putting it back into the safe.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

For a new firearm, oil the snot out of it and let it sit overnight. Much of the oil will soak in. Wipe off any that doesn't.

Parkerization is a very porous finish, designed to hold oil next to the metal so it won't rust.

That finish has been widely used by the military for many years. You don't see them with too many "gun ovens".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Pawpaw wrote:For a new firearm, oil the snot out of it and let it sit overnight. Much of the oil will soak in. Wipe off any that doesn't.

Parkerization is a very porous finish, designed to hold oil next to the metal so it won't rust.

That finish has been widely used by the military for many years. You don't see them with too many "gun ovens".
I will have to try letting it sit overnight. Typically I just apply some oil to all the metal parts after I clean a gun and wipe clean after I reassemble. I do think you need more than just a wipe for this. I don't bathe it, but I do wet the metal.

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dlh »

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I applied two or three Hoppe's Gun Oil Field Wipes to the barrel and receiver and that did the job! At first the finish was like sandpaper and resisted the oil but after repeated passes the oil finally "overcame" the finish and it looks great!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Once I "seasoned" my Parkerized weapons I pay no special attention to them. Just wipe them down normally when I clean them

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”