PMR-30 - Do You Own The Latest Iteration?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Re: PMR-30 - Do You Own The Latest Iteration?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Chemist45 wrote:I've had one for about a year. It is my ranch gun.
It has delivered the coup-de-gras on several deer and varmints and dispatched one feral cat.
I tried several different brands and types of 22mag - it fed and fired them all.
I really like it. Mine is FDE with fiber optic sights. It is quick on target and, even with a full load out, very light and comfortable to carry.
I carry it in an M12 style holster. The holster comes with a plastic cleaning rod that I replaced with a brass 22 rod with a loop.
If I have a jam, I can pound out the stuck round.

I have owned other Kel-Tec firearms that I sold after using for a bit.
I'm keeping this one.
:shock: Have you had any such jams?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have a CMR carbine. Never had any issues with it that I can think of. Works great. You can put a suppressor on the barrel also. 22 mag is still too loud without ear plugs. Academy has some subsonic 22 mag, but it doesn't cycle and the velocity is no better than 22 LR.

I bought a PMR-30 4 years or so ago. Happened upon a good deal and didn't have to overpay. Primary Arms sells a few guns and they happened to put one out at their store front that day at the MSRP price. Anyway, that pistol always worked great. At least it worked just as well as any Ruger Mark II have had which do well. Occasional issues, but empties most mags just fine.

I got one used later. Maybe that was a mistake as it would fail to feed every other round (or every round). I had always always wanted to try the barrel with the flash hider so I got that to try before I called Keltec about the issues. With the different barrel, the pistol started functioning 100%. I figure something was out of spec with the feed ramp or the fit somewhere else in the slide. Since then I haven't had any issues. I feel I got lucky there.

If you have issues, Keltec will help you fix them (based on experience with another pistol). Also, I have started to see the PMR-30 at prices below MSRP which makes them a lot more attractive.

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Abraham »

" Also, I have started to see the PMR-30 at prices below MSRP which makes them a lot more attractive."

Good to hear, but unless I can buy it from a brick and mortar store, I guess I'll never own one.

I'm never going to buy a gun over the internet, not because I'm some government looking over my shoulder paranoid nut case, just want a place to come back to without having to do back flips if things go wrong.

My last pistol purchase was from Cabelas. Something went wrong with the pistol and they shipped it off, did the dance to get it fixed, etc. Cost to me? The hassle of bringing it in and later picking it up. Not too bad a deal...I don't think if I'd bought it over the internet things would've gone as smoothly.

I did a dealer search and there's a long list of dealers in my zip code, but turns out not one has a PMR-30 - though I did'nt check out 'every' dealer.

If any of you know where one can be had (in a brick&mortar store) please, let me know.

Thanks.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

My friend purchased his PMR 30 from a local dealer, so they are available.

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chemist45 »

TAM asked
:shock: Have you had any such jams?
Nope. But I've seen many range trips ended when someone had a jam on one of their guns.
So I try to carry a rigid cleaning rod with me where ever I go.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:If any of you know where one can be had (in a brick&mortar store) please, let me know.

Thanks.
In my first reply in this thread, I gave a location that has them .... but it would be a bit of a drive for you. It’s at Shoot Point Blank in North Richland Hills, and they have both the pistols and the carbine in stock.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mrvmax »

Abraham wrote:" Also, I have started to see the PMR-30 at prices below MSRP which makes them a lot more attractive."

Good to hear, but unless I can buy it from a brick and mortar store, I guess I'll never own one.

I'm never going to buy a gun over the internet, not because I'm some government looking over my shoulder paranoid nut case, just want a place to come back to without having to do back flips if things go wrong.

My last pistol purchase was from Cabelas. Something went wrong with the pistol and they shipped it off, did the dance to get it fixed, etc. Cost to me? The hassle of bringing it in and later picking it up. Not too bad a deal...I don't think if I'd bought it over the internet things would've gone as smoothly.

I did a dealer search and there's a long list of dealers in my zip code, but turns out not one has a PMR-30 - though I did'nt check out 'every' dealer.

If any of you know where one can be had (in a brick&mortar store) please, let me know.

Thanks.
Look for a Davidson’s dealer (Gallery of Guns). They offer their own lifetime warranty on everything they sell. When I used to buy a lot through them I used their warranty several times and I could get a brand new replacement firearm in two days. If the firearm is not in stock they will fix it for free. They claim the customer must pay for shipping but I don’t recall them ever making the customer pay.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

When I said I had seen them below MSRP, I pretty sure that was the last Pasadena Gun Show I went to, but I may be mis-remembering. They are getting more common and easier to get.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all for your help.

I don't want to travel beyond the Houston/Galveston area to buy one.

It looks like I'm in for a long wait for this gun.

...unless Kel-Tec starts cranking em out quicker, thus making them more available everywhere they're sold.

One thing further, I won't over pay to own one, like I ran into when I wanted one of their Sub2000's. I recall they wanted something like $750.00, and I just laughed.

While I'd buy it today if it was at a reasonable cost, I don't 'need' one, just want one.

Someday, one'll become available at a cost I'm willing to pay.

Assuming I'm still above ground...

gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gtolbert09 »

I’ve seen the PMR 30 available from at least 3 to 4 dealers at the Fort Worth gun show and the Lewisville Gun show. They usually have all the colors too. Seems like they were $349 to $399.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

gtolbert09,

Thanks, now I know a cost range.

One place I looked at wanted $486.00 - never gonna pay even close to that.

As stated earlier, I 'want' one, but don't need one...

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Just keep an eye out. You will see what you want eventually.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

MechAg94,

Thanks!

I tried to contact Kel-Tec but they want more information about me than I'm willing to give for emailing. They do provide a phone no., but right now, (and maybe forever) I can't call them as my voice is out of commission.

I wanted to email them for the latest range of serial numbers as I understand the first ones produced were problematic, so I want one of the newer models.

If after a year or so, I can't find one, I'll either get a Sig P365 though Kel-tec PMR-30 .22 cal magnum (equipped with a 30 round magazine) really appeals to me as the recoil is almost non-existent so you can pour on the coals without getting off target.

The Sig P365 will hold 12 rounds. Not bad, compared to my Ruger LC9S, but no comparison to 30 rounds with almost zero recoil.

I am loath to buy a used gun, but if some trusted forum someone here has one to sell and assures me it's not problematic, I'd consider buying used.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

https://www.classicfirearms.com/kel-tec ... -kelgpmr30

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... +Navy+Blue

I see them in stock at a reasonable price on these sights. If you have a local dealer you like, they ought to be able to get one from their distributor. Order you can just order it online. I understand not everyone wants to do that.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”