Opinion on gunsmith situation

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Opinion on gunsmith situation

Post by SigM4 »

Just from your description yeah I wouldn’t have accepted it nor paid. I would have told them to call me when they had a new unmolested slide as replacement for their incompetence.

Email me pictures if you’d like and I’ll post them for you. I’m sure others would like to see the mess you’re describing as well.

Posting pictures provided by SRO1911 (apologize as they're out of order as a received them, someone when uploading they got mixed).

Last edited by SigM4 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Syntyr »

SigM4 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:17 pm Just from your description yeah I wouldn’t have accepted it nor paid. I would have told them to call me when they had a new unmolested slide as replacement for their incompetence.

Email me pictures if you’d like and I’ll post them for you. I’m sure others would like to see the mess you’re describing as well.
:iagree:

Yep no go. If you can see the internals then obviously they have gone too deep. I also would never trust that gun as a carry piece again without a replacement slide. Even after that I would run it through more than a couple of mags to make sure nothing else was screwed with.

When milling you have to go slow. Once you take metal off you can put it back on.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

flechero

Post by flechero »

I'd like to know who it is... especially since I have been researching smiths for machine work.

Edited after pics went up:

I'm disappointed for you. I can't imagine what a gut punch that must feel like. :cryin
Last edited by flechero on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Texas RGV

Post by South Texas RGV »

Ohhh that sounds awful. I suppose the best case would be a refund and a new slide at their expense.

I would dearly like to see photos if that can be worked out.

In any event, I've had two XDM 9mm slides milled by Powder River Precision, which is the main information I wanted to convey. Each time the work has been excellent, with a quick turnaround. I haven't sat down and compared with the mounting plates removed, but my recollection is that the PRP milling job seemed directly comparable to that done by the factory on my XDM OSP. If you end up with another slide and want the work done, I'd check them out when looking for options.

I applaud your goal of keeping the spending local, but ... yeah it hurts to read your description.

Good luck!

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

After seeing the pictures I'm inclined to say you need to go back to the shop and ask how they're going to make this right or if they refuse start the charge back process through the provider (if you paid with a CC). That's downright atrocious. I mean, drilling into the extractor is just the worst. That part needs to be able to move freely, not just for function but should you ever need to remove it now you can't. Was the removal of the LCI part of the initial discussion when this work was proposed?

Beyond that the use of the random Allen screws vs. the Torx screws provided speaks to their inability to even use a basic level of common sense.

Would love to know the name of the place.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

AndyC wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:34 pm Nope, I'd take it back and expect a replacement slide.
Agreed, take me back to “before it happened”. Then, find someone else
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

That's a lot of chatter.

Looks like somebody stuck the slide in the mill and started cutting away without even thinking through what they were doing.
Psalm 91:2

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:34 pm Nope, I'd take it back and expect a replacement slide.
:iagree:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

If the optic is moving, that is not acceptable. Hopefully you can come to an accommodation.

My advice to customers, when seeking slide work, is to ask if the shop has ever done their model of firearm before. You don't want to be somebody's test run.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”