Anyone else stocking up on mags?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
denwego
Posts in topic: 1

Anyone else stocking up on mags?

Post by denwego »

Much like toilette paper in March, panic is causing everyone to buy up every round of every caliber RIGHT NOW to regain a sense of control. The value of having ammo a few thousand rounds of 5.56 on hand notwithstanding, I'm especially struck by the illogic nature of this - no matter who gets elected in November or what state you live in around the country, no one's going to ban common ammo. Demand will normalize. Supply chain deficiencies will balance.

Instead, I've started to grow more pessimistic about the fall and winter nature of politics and society, and I've been starting to buy some more standard-cap mags now and again. Not panic levels... just one or two 30 rounders when I happen to think of it, here and there. Grabbed a couple of 33-round Glock sticks and a few PMAGs because I was already in the store last week, that sort of thing. No plans to flip them, no self-mandated goal of if I don't have 100 mags for every firearm I am a failure... just want to have a reasonable personal supply for a few years to come.

Mags are in stock and often on sale because no one has any ammo to load them right now, so, not the worst idea I can proffer. Anyone else here starting to walk down that path of thought?

TreyHouston

Re: Anyone else stocking up on mags?

Post by TreyHouston »

Post some good sales of you come across them!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Buy a good mag loader and teach the wife and or kids to load the empty’s while you’re cycling through the loaded ones. Kind of like the old musket days. But on topic, I always try to have at least 5 magazines for every firearm I own. And a minimum of 1k rounds per caliber as well. More of course for my everyday shooters.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So is ten mags enough, if I ever get around to buying the gun that is.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:43 pm So is ten mags enough, if I ever get around to buying the gun that is.
:smilelol5:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I read reviews on 1 site selling mags that the curved ones and 2 rubber bands make a smiley-faced facemask but you need really strong rubber bands to hold the weight ... doubles as a neck exerciser

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

After the rioting on my block in Dallas (and other cities) I bought some extra Surefire MAG5-60's, and some pistol mags and Taran extensions for my primary pistol.

That's not to say I didn't already have a Surefire MAG5-60 loaded on my Bedside AR-15, a loaded Betamag, plate-carrier with rifle and pistol mags and a med kit attached... plus multiple pistols and belt double mag holders on or about my person. I keep a 5.11 concealment vest with loaded 30rd rifle and pistol mags nearby as well, for a covert option. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Mags are great and affordable and necessary... but training matters the most.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Never can have enough mags IMO. I tend to have at least 5 for any gun I own. For competition guns or guns that get shot often at least 10 but possibly more. Not a fan of surefire 60 or 100 rd mags though. They don't have the best track record over time. D60s here which are solid. Regardless of what you buy just make sure if you buy them to check them for function in case you ever need them. I load and cycle through all of mine during regular use. Each is numbered and I track any issues with them to determine problem mags which do exist depending on the gun or mag manufacturer.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Armybrat

Post by Armybrat »

I recently bought six Ruger SR9 17 round mags for my new PC Carbine (which came with only one from the factory).
I’d like to have four more, but those things are pretty pricey, even when buying twin packs from GaG.... IF they are in stock.
Already have two SR9 pistols with two each.

E150GT

Post by E150GT »

I started buying Glock magazines last year. Every other pay period if buy one. I have 9 Glock mags now. I bought g17 mags for my 19

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have spare AR, AK, SCAR 17, and Glock mags still in the package that I haven’t even opened yet. I would like to pick up a few more M1 carbine mags, but it’s not an emergency.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:09 pm I have spare AR, AK, SCAR 17, and Glock mags still in the package that I haven’t even opened yet. I would like to pick up a few more M1 carbine mags, but it’s not an emergency.
I didn’t mention it, but the 10 mags I bought will go with the other 40 I already have. I keep 25 loaded all the time, and the rest are still in their packaging. I have speed loaders. To quickly load 30 rounds at a time if I think I’ll need them. I have 10 mags each for all of my pistols with the exception of my two new CZ’s I just bought. Only three mags each for them so far. I have a 54 round shotgun shell bandoleer, that is loaded with, #1 buck, 00 buck, #0 buck, and slugs. I have 1000 rounds of each one on hand in ammo cans. My only short fall is 308 rounds for my bolt action rifle. Just did a quick count and I’m down to less than 500 rounds. I’m on several waiting lists for replentishment.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

For the pistols that I use in competition, I've got ten each, so pretty good there, although you can never have too many... I went on a sort of tear when Comrade Obama got elected and then we had the Newtown tragedy... I bought AR mags ten at a time and simply put them in a footlocker type box.

Taking a broader view, there are a couple of not frequently used guns in the safe that I should likely add some high cap mags to and I could use some extra mags for my M1A.

Since I'm not actively in the market for another firearm, and ammo is in short supply, I'll likely do likely some of you and start ordering some on payday and grind away at it.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Was in the garage today digging through the Rubbermaid tub o’ mags when the wife walked out. She had to do a double take then asked if the whole tub was full of “the same thing”. I didn’t make the heart to tell her that’s what 107 AR mags look like still in their packaging. So yes, I have a few. That said I need a few more mags for the AR-10 just to feel good there. Beyond that I think I’m done with mags for a while.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”