AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Rafe
Posts in topic: 11

Re: AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Post by Rafe »

Not to stir up the Freedom Munitions pot any more, but in the spirit of the season this was the gift that just keeps on giving.

Once I confirmed the website breach that was simultaneous with my October purchase, I had my bank retire that credit card number and issue a new card. Never an easy thing nowadays when you have everything from Amazon to the cable company using the on-file card for payment. Gotta manually go change everything and make sure it's timed correctly so any automatic monthly payments or standing order doesn't bounce. Had my new card in hand before the end of October and all was taken care of. Right?

Wrong.

Remember that notice from Freedom that said they had identified a breach spanning October 16 to November 26? Well, the primary card authority, in this instance Visa, was notified of the breach and provided a list of those customers potentially affected. Visa in turn notified the issuing banks. Got this email notification this morning:
[Bank Name] was recently notified by our card processor that your Visa® card ending in XXXX may have been compromised during an exposure window from 10/16/2020 – 11/26/2020 by an unnamed/undisclosed ecommerce merchant. While this kind of news can be alarming, this does not mean any fraudulent activity occurred on your account. However, we are taking every precaution to ensure your account remains secure. Rest assured that [Bank Name]’s system was not compromised.

As a precautionary measure, we have reissued your Visa card with a new number. You should receive your new card within 7-10 business days....
I was on the phone within 30 minutes of the time-stamp on the email, trying to explain that I knew what this was in relation to, and that I had already handled it with a new card and new card number in October. The bank politely apologized and said that it was a done deal, that those notices only go out after a new card has actually been processed. That they can't cancel the operation. That I'm getting another new card and card number whether I like it or not. It's in the mail, as it were.

So, thank you, Freedom Munitions. Because now I have to go through the whole credit card changeover mess yet again, and this time during the holidays when, if I have any issues, it's going to be much more difficult to get the right person on the phone. Woo hoo!

Anybody have a Grinch mask I can wear the rest of the day?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

flechero
Posts in topic: 9

Re: AMMO. Buying, selling or nothing

Post by flechero »

Well the silver lining is that it should be much easier this time... you know exactly who to call and what needs changing!

No grinching now, it's practically Christmas Eve!! :tiphat:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”