Never sleep with the doors unlocked!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Never sleep with the doors unlocked!

Post by Lynyrd »

Great story! I hope the shirt is still around somewhere. That would be a great item to start conversations with the grandkids about situational awareness.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

Great story and well told. On a sadder note, back in the late 70's, a High School buddy of mine and his brother were gunned down in that very forest by a nutjob while they were just relaxing by the fire. Never was easy enough to hunt there again.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I normally hate it when an old thread is resurrected. Not the case with this one.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I had no idea Safariland has been around that long.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

C-dub wrote:I had no idea Safariland has been around that long.
Since 1964. Even a year earlier if you count the start-up in Perkins' garage.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

mojo84 wrote:I normally hate it when an old thread is resurrected. Not the case with this one.
I'm glad it was, I'd hate to imagine never coming across it. Was a great morning bedtime story. Now back to bed with me!
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I missed this one too TAM, I needed that this morning already a tough start at work. Great story, glad nothing but a shirt, and maybe some pride, was injured. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

This story for me is a reminder to keep the house doors locked even during daylight hours.

Without detailing the entire story, suffice it to say a stranger unlocked, came through my gate, then walked the 150+ feet down the driveway from the gate to the house and attempted to open my door and walk into my house.

Had the door been unlocked who knows how it would've ended?

Starting off with his hand on my door, he blurted out some improbable story of a lost dog. Why on earth he thought his story qualified him to walk into my house unannounced makes me think he was a criminal.

I stood there with a .357 in my hand, (I'd spotted him before he got to the house) held behind my back. After catching on that I wasn't about to open the door, he promptly left.

I struggle with my wife to keep the door locked.

PatrickMas20

Post by PatrickMas20 »

Great descriptive post!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

This is a truly terrific story with lots of good insight into thought processes when trying to assess danger in the dark.

Throwing light on the subject is the only way to resolve those uncertainties for sure, as was the case here.

That's the reason that no matter where I am I sleep with a high intensity flashlight either next to or mounted on my closest gun, and why when I am compelled to visit those benighted places where firearms are prohibited, the flashlight is still always there.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

EdnaBambrick
Banned

Post by EdnaBambrick »

mojo84 wrote:I normally hate it when an old thread is resurrected. Not the case with this one.
Great stories are timeless. My crime would have been in NOT resurrecting it. Glad to see it's bringing joy to others.

PS - A little something about me. My grandparents all died early before I was 10. When I got to be a few years older, I used to get on a bus and just ride around. I used the opportunity to talk to strangers and hear their stories. This was in the late 70s in Kansas City so a lot of those stories were from people in their 70s and 80s and had lived through WWI and the depression. Probably the most memorable was a guy that used to rob banks. He said he had good luck outrunning the police until they got radios and could call ahead. He said "It was easy to outrun their cars but he couldn't outrun those radio waves" I guess that's how he got caught and had to pick a new career when he got out of prison.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Great story. Thanks for resurrecting it TAM!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Great story. Very interesting to read.

Question, what happened to the western shirt that took 6 rds of 357? Did you have to buy your friend a new shirt, or new underwear "rlol" ?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol::
Last edited by parabelum on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Yes I missed this the first time around as well.

Like Excalibur noted, it's a good example of the utility of a flashlight.

And it sounds like Don's shirt was not the only thing with holes in it. Did your parents notice the holes in the wall or did you get them filled in before that? ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ELB wrote:Did your parents notice the holes in the wall or did you get them filled in before that? ;-)
What wall?
Charles L. Cotton wrote:The cabin had a full width screen porch on the front with four double beds and ceiling fans.
Screen wire is pretty easy to replace. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Never Again!!”