Accidental Discharge! My brother was shot!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
DMoses
Posts in topic: 3

Accidental Discharge! My brother was shot!

Post by DMoses »

I really don't how to begin this but within an hour of this event I knew I needed to share it with the firearms community. We can never be too careful or safe with our firearms!

Let me first start off by saying that my brother and I have always been around firearms and our dad "preached" gun safety all of our lives. I myself have considerably more exp. than my brother since I am a CHL holder, ex military and shoot in the IDPA and IPSC in the past. My bro knows all the safety rules:

1. Always assume that a gun is loaded.
2. Never point a firearm at anything that your not ready to destroy.
3. Never drop the hammer unless your pointed down range or have just cleared the chamber yourself.

Yesterday while at my office, my brother who is employed by me came in during lunch to show me his pistol. He had just aquired it a couple of days before and wanted to show me something. He opened the gun case and handed me a pistol with a mag inside. I dropped the mag and cleared the chamber before handling it any further as is the way I was trained. During our discussion I asked him how heavy the pistol was when loaded. He said he really didnt notice. I proceeded to load 10 rounds of .40cal into a fresh mag. and then placed the mag inside the pistol while the slide was in the forward position. I then pointed the pistol in a safe manner and brought it at eye level. My brother watched this entire process even when I loaded the mag. I held the pistol for about 15 seconds when my office phone rang. I then handed it to my brother and turned around in my chair to answer the phone.
I don't know how long I was on the phone before I heard a loud "bang". In a split second I thought to myself...."what in the hell, did he just do that on purpose?"
Before my I could turn around, my brother started calling my name. Not yelling but with urgency in his voice. As I swiveled in my chair I noticed first that he was standing and his hand was bleeding profusely. I immediatly went into a robotic state (for lack of a better term) that is a testiment to all me first aid training that I had recieved over the years in Boy Scouts and the military. I dont remember all the details while being on the phone with 911 but I will say that the female on the other end was not very pleasent and I feel she made the call last twice as long as it needed to last. After getting my brother to sit down I began to apply pressure to a thru and thru gun shot in his hand. After a few seconds my brother pointed out to me which I thought was just blood from his hand wound, that he had been shot in the leg also. There was very little blood coming from the wound and I didnt even notice becuase the hand was bleeding so badly. That wound also was a thru and thru. I then called for some assistance from 2 employees to come assist me with stopping the bleeding. During all this my brother remained calm and handled himself quite well considering.
The Fire Department showed up within 6-7 minutes and an ambulance following within another two. The paramedics and firemen were all very professional and performed thier duties very well. They got him bandaged and whisked him away to of all places "Ben Taub".
I waited for the police department to give me a case #, which by the way the took his pistol and the spent casing but not the actual round. It took about 10 minutes to find the round which had ricocheted off the floor and headed in my direction into my office desk. My solid wood desk stopped the bullet from exiting and the bullet ended up in my top drawer. According to the police, there was a very good chance that the bullets trajectory could have sent it into me but we will never really know.
By the time I reached the hospital I had missed visiting hours and would have to wait for 3 hours before I could speak to my brother. During the next 3 emotional hours I replayed the whole incident a hundred times. I asked myself over and over..."did he not see me put bullets in the mag?"
Is this all my fault regardless of wether or not he broke so many rules?
Once I was finally able to visit him in pre-surgury one of my first questions was; "did you not know I loaded the mag?" and his repsonse was, "yes I know you loaded it because I watched you but I just forgot."
He forgot the mag was loaded and had a brain fart of nuclear size. He wanted to dry fire the gun and put his hand on top of the slide, covering up the breech. He couldnt see that that he was ramming a round into the chamber. He then point the gun down and pulled the trigger into his hand which was on his knee.

He had surgery in the middle of the night last night. The surgeons told him that the leg wound hit nothing vital and they would just let it heal on its own. No stitches! He broke 1 bone in his hand and had 2 pins put in. As of this morning he couldnt move 1 of his fingers and there was a possibility that the surgeons would be going back in to take a look. He seems to be well good spirits but I'm sure he will be traumatized for the rest of his life. He has scars and might never regain total use of his hand. The scars are his everyday reminder of the time when for a split second he gun safety went out the window.
I will always hold myself responsible regardless of how many rules he forgot. Had I not been curious as to the weight of his loaded gun this never would have happened. Had I not let the ringing phone distract and keep me from ejecting a loaded mag then this all could have been avoided. He has his constant reminder and I have mine:

Remember folks, you can NEVER be too safe!

DMoses

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I hope your brother makes a full recovery. Safety always has to be #1.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Wow...glad it turned out semi-ok.

+1 on safety
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

DANG! I am soooo glad both of you are going to survive.

Do you want incident critique or no?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Glad to hear you came out of it unscathed, and that your brother's prognosis is good.

Had he pointed the muzzle toward his thigh, he might have bled out right in front of your eyes. I know you both count yourselves lucky, and already realize the mistakes that were made.

I hope all turns out well.

Thank you for sharing this event and reminding us to be ever careful.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

HighVelocity wrote:I hope your brother makes a full recovery. Safety always has to be #1.
ditto!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
DMoses

Post by DMoses »

Thanks for the support guys! He's doing pretty good so far and should leave the hospital on Sunday.

yerasimos

Re: Accidental Discharge! My brother was shot!

Post by yerasimos »

DMoses wrote:I will always hold myself responsible regardless of how many rules he forgot. Had I not been curious as to the weight of his loaded gun this never would have happened. Had I not let the ringing phone distract and keep me from ejecting a loaded mag then this all could have been avoided. He has his constant reminder and I have mine:

(photo of the recovered slug)

Remember folks, you can NEVER be too safe!

DMoses
A perfect storm, indeed, as typical of many accidents. Best wishes to you & your brother. Hopefully your brother will get his gun back promptly, as he should.

I have a pretty good idea of what the instructor from DFW would like to say, but I will let him say it.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

I'm glad your brother is OK!! Thanks for sharing that's a very important lesson/reminder for all of us...
ReySC

Blazen

Post by Blazen »

Glad your bro is recovering. Best wishes!

PPM

Post by PPM »

This simply means that God has other plans for you both! Consider yourself blessed...and smarter (or at least more aware). Praise God that you are both alive and that your brother IS around to remind you each and every day!

We've all been blessed by your sharing of your story. Thanks!
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

PPM wrote:This simply means that God has other plans for you both! Consider yourself blessed...and smarter (or at least more aware). Praise God that you are both alive and that your brother IS around to remind you each and every day!

We've all been blessed by your sharing of your story. Thanks!
+1
Best regards to you both. I know this will be a lifelong reminder of SAFETY.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
DMoses

Post by DMoses »

*UPDATE*

I picked my brother up from the hospital this afternoon! He can walk but very slowly. He has to have another surgery on his hand but as of now he seems to doing pretty darn good considering that he was shot 2 days ago. I appreciate the concern and well wishes.

BE SAFE!

DMoses

jclif1995

Post by jclif1995 »

you know what i find to be so impressive about the story? both you and your brother, along with everyone else in your employ went in to action mode. everyone didn't go into freak mode, crazy mode, panic mode. you had the ability and where-with-all to rise to the event and function. your bro had the where-with-all to understand his situation and allow emergency care and aid without loosing his mind.
-
scary and hurtful that someone had to get shot, that someone has to carry a memory, and that someones will most likely have scars. the better memory is what you and everyone did during that short period of time.
-
in my opinion the reaction of you, your brother, and the balance of the group is a formula that makes a hero, in the military yes but also in the civilian world.
-
nicely done!
john

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Every once in a while we need a little safety reminder. Sometimes this comes in the form of an accident. They call it the school of hard knocks. Best of luck to your brother and you. No matter how safe you think you are, you aren't...

Return to “Never Again!!”