Teaching new shooters...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
j1132s
Posts in topic: 4

Teaching new shooters...

Post by j1132s »

This happened a month ago, but thought I'd share it. Hopefully it'll prevent somebody from repeating my mistake.

I have tought a few new shooters how to shot. (Actually ~20 coworkers and a few years ago.) The last time I visited the site, they invited me to shoot w/ them and introduced me to several new shooters that they've taught. It is interesting to be given the title "the original one". So, I don't think I'm that bad of a teacher :)

Anyway, that was many years ago. Recently my wife has an out-of-town friend visiting. This friend indicated that she's interested in learning how to shoot a handgun! What's more amazing is that my wife, who's anti-guns, decided to learn w/ her friend.

I was really happy and called around to arrange a private instruction for them. Mainly because I didn't want to teach my wife (tried that before and didn't work). Unfortunately, the nearby range's instructor was having surgery done so the closest instructor I can find was 30 min. from our house.

Anyway, to make a long story shorter, my wife decides that 30 min is too far. So she asked if I would teach them. Initially I said "no", but later I changed my mind, figuring it is my chance to get my wife shooting.

So I spend a lot of time digging up my old NRA basic pistol book, making some outlines on what to teach. I thought I'll set them up on 2 adjacent lanes and let them compete w/ 22s.

When instruction time comes, my wife wanted me to compress everything into 10 minutes. (Note: her friend has never shot before, and she's only gone to the range a few times herself.) I was planning a 2 hours instruction. So I finish up in 20 minutes and we head out to the range.

It was a Sunday and the range was very busy, we were lucky to get 2 (non-adjacent) lanes w/o much waiting. I set up each lane w/ a 22lr and a 9mm. I was running between the lanes to help. The 22s jammed a lot; they never jammed with such frequency when I last shot them (which is a few months ago). The 22s got so bad that they just quit using them after about 10 rounds and when on to the 9mms.

The RO warned (very kindly) my wife's friend about holding on to the pistol and moving away from the stall; this is after I warned her once and gone over during the 20min instruction. I felt really embarrassed (since its really a reflection on my poor instructions).

Well, the ladies did not so well w/ the 9mm. I put the targets at 3 yards and we were having a hard time even hitting it. There is the typical 1 shot center, then lower shots, and finally off paper. I didn't get a chance to use ball-and-dummy since I was so busy going between the 2 lanes.

Finally, we left after about 15 minutes at the range, and everybody had a terrible time. My wife's firend who were thinking about getting a pistol for her home decided that she definitely does not want one anymore. Oh well.

Thinking back, I lost a great opportunity to get my wife into shooting. Some mistakes:

1. Did not try to find a private instructor who's willing to meet at our house or the nearby range. This didn't even occur to me until later.

2. When to the rnage during a busy time. Too many others at the firing line making loud noises :)

3. Not trying out the 22lr pistols. I after the above session, I really hated those guns that I've not had the interest to fire them. I think they may need more lube to prevent the jams.

4. Instruction too short. My shooters didn't know the pistol parts well enough to understand my on-the-firing-line instructions easily.

5. Bad shooter attitude; I should just quit trying to get my wife involved.

The only good thing was the fact that I preloaded the 9mm magazines before going to the range.

Topic author
j1132s

Post by j1132s »

Now it's going to be even more difficult to get my wife into shooting. I think she's anti-guns only because she's not familiar w/ them.

If only there's a female -only class near Austin and I can get some of her friends signed up for it and the stars align right and she's not busy...

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

I never had any success trying to teach my wife. There's something about the husband/wife relationship that can get in the way.

I did get her to practice with my airsoft replica in the back yard. It was far more causual to do it that way, and you don't have to be hard nosed about safety.

One suggestion about teaching new shooters... Have them do a decent number of dry fires at their target before you give them live ammo. I've found that they'll learn more dry firing... and shoot better too.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

KRM45
Posts in topic: 1

2 hours?

Post by KRM45 »

The first time my wife went shooting with me I spent about 10 minutes with her at the range, then I handed her my Ruger 22/45 and let her shoot. She loved it.

If I had tried to talk to her for two hours about how a pistol works we never would have made it to the range...

Topic author
j1132s

Re: 2 hours?

Post by j1132s »

KRM45 wrote:The first time my wife went shooting with me I spent about 10 minutes with her at the range, then I handed her my Ruger 22/45 and let her shoot. She loved it.

If I had tried to talk to her for two hours about how a pistol works we never would have made it to the range...
Actually that's how I thought all my coworkers too. But I thought I'd give it a very detailed instruction this time since her friend was considering a pistol purchase and she's single w/o any prior experience.

I think I was over joyed when my wife actually decided to learn w/ her friend. Anyway, I'm probably should accept that my wife is anti-gun and stop trying to change her. I'm glad she's not interfered w/ my gun hobby.

Topic author
j1132s

Post by j1132s »

Paladin wrote: ...
I did get her to practice with my airsoft replica in the back yard. It was far more causual to do it that way, and you don't have to be hard nosed about safety.
This is a great idea. Unfortunately I think I've missed the window of opportunity w/ my wife. If I ever get a replacement wife and I'm still into shooting, I'll have to try that.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

j1132s wrote: If I ever get a replacement wife

:smilelol5:

Diode

Post by Diode »

KinnyLee wrote:
j1132s wrote: If I ever get a replacement wife

:smilelol5:
Hope you didnt teach her how to log into the forums... :shock:

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Paladin wrote:I never had any success trying to teach my wife. There's something about the husband/wife relationship that can get in the way.

One suggestion about teaching new shooters... Have them do a decent number of dry fires at their target before you give them live ammo. I've found that they'll learn more dry firing... and shoot better too.
If there is any chance she will ever fire the real thing relaxing the saftey standards with the airsoft is a mistake. Best case is there will be things to "unlearn" .

Dave B.

No4Mk1

Post by No4Mk1 »

j1132s, thanks for sharing this! It is tough to admit defeat, but this post could really help others. One other thing to point out to anyone teaching newbies is that once you get to the firing line try to run more lanes than you have instructors. Let them take turns.

You were very smart to start at such short range, it usually builds confidence very early.

Another general tip for anyone interested, I usually start with only a single round per firearm. This eliminates the risk of a new shooter getting scared and squeezing off a second shot by mistake.
The beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com

PWK

Post by PWK »

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

bauerdj wrote:
Paladin wrote:I never had any success trying to teach my wife. There's something about the husband/wife relationship that can get in the way.

If there is any chance she will ever fire the real thing relaxing the saftey standards with the airsoft is a mistake. Best case is there will be things to "unlearn" .

Dave B.
It's not so much that I allow unsafe handling with airsoft... as that when unsafehanding inevitably occurs... there isn't much danger or much anxiety on my part... and I can offer a gentle, casual correction.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Never Again!!”