Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

How not to handle a carjacking

Post by seamusTX »

This page contains video of a carjacking that occurred yesterday:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/31/attorn ... index.html
(Windows only).

There are two things to notice: (1) It happened fast, about 22 seconds. (2) The victim allowed herself to be shoved into the car after getting several feet from the attacker at one point.

I say allowed because this woman did not have to cooperate to the extent that she did.

I don't watch television, but sometimes I can't help seeing it. :^) Right after showing this video, CNN had a self-defense expert who said you should flee if possible, and fight like a wildcat if you can't flee.

If the attacker has a firearm and you flee, the weapon may not work. The attacker may not shoot. If he shoots, he will probably miss; and if you are hit by a shot, you're still likely to survive.

OTOH, if a woman is kidnapped, she almost certainly is going to be raped and probably killed.

The expert didn't mention screaming, but I think that's a good idea, too.

The victim in this case was unarmed. If she had been packing, she would have to have been very alert and ready to draw, at the rate events occured.

- Jim

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

Its sad that we don't teach women to be more agressive. I have instructed my wife that somone who attempts to take her WILL kill her. If she flees, he may shoot her, but at least it will be in an area where she is likely to get help, rather than an isolated area of the criminal choosing.

Regarding this case, the woman is an attorney who handled divorce cases. It is likely the criminal is an opposing spouse. I believe I heard that her ATM was accessed 3 times at different locations yesterday, and her SUV was recovered.

Prayers for her safe return, but not much belief. :sad:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

She was rescued. I don't know anything about the attacker or what he may have done to her.

- Jim

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

seamusTX wrote:She was rescued. I don't know anything about the attacker or what he may have done to her.

- Jim
WOW! Great, do you know when?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

AggieMM
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AggieMM »

Many years ago, my wife and I were talking with a very knowledgeable local LEO about safety, kid and adult. One thing he mentioned that has stuck with me ever since concerns "crime scenes" in abductions.

In abductions, there are two crime scenes. The first crime is the where the abduction takes place. The second crime scene is where you are taken and the "real" crime happens.

NEVER LEAVE THE FIRST CRIME SCENE with the Abductor. He stated that you do whatever you can, run, fight, crash your car, but make sure you never leave the first crime scene with the abductor. The chance of surviving is actually very high, whereas the chance of surviving the second crime scene is extremely low.

I've been preaching this to my kids for years. :)

Ryan

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

txinvestigator wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Great, do you know when?
She was rescued at 5:30 p.m., the same day she was kidnapped. The details are in the URL that I gave. They'll probably update it as more information becomes available.

- Jim

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

I tell all women I know to never go with a kidnapper. Take your chances in the parking lot. Fight like crazy.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “Never Again!!”