unholster OOPS!!!!!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Target1911
Posts in topic: 5

unholster OOPS!!!!!

Post by Target1911 »

It's not nearly as bad as it could have been but.....
Just few minutes ago (at home) I went to unholster to take care of business. Wearing jeans, owb holster, G22, and a button up dickies work shirt untucked.
As I went to unholster, I couldn't get my shirt tail up to grab the grip of my gun. EEEECK!!!!! It was shock.....what the heck is going on!!!! I tried again but still the same. I looked to find what my shirt could possibly be hooked on......there WAS a little tag on the inside seam that had found its was around the the clip of my knife. So ya think, ok no big deal....the knife would just slip up put of the pocket...WRONG....the Kydex belt loop prevented that from happening as it sits just over my knife. I tried to pull hard just to see if it could have been pulled loose but that wasn't happening.
After I git everything unhooked, I immediately cut the looped tag and will be checking all of my other shirts for the same problem.
Thank God I didn't NEED to unholster in a hurry.

On a side note....I have been using this exact same set up for 4 years and never had any issues but I'm not taking any chances. Off with the tags.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: unholster OOPS!!!!!

Post by C-dub »

I had something similar a few years ago happen due to having my holster and knife on the same side. I switched the knife to the left front pocket.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jpfrog

Post by jpfrog »

I generally keep anything I can out of my pockets because I hate the feel, but I always make sure my pocket on my carry side is empty so I never have to get to it and/or have it get in the way of my pistol...even if I'm carrying full frame and not just a pocket pistol. However, your post makes me think a little...I'm going to check my shirts tonight and remove any tags I see around the bottom of them. Thanks for the post!
-JPFROG

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I also noticed that was an extra flap across the bottom inside edge of the shirt that can grab stuff too.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

duallydondon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by duallydondon »

Checked my frequently worn shirts and found that some have more than one tag! Thanks for info

duallydondon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by duallydondon »

Believe I lost my Spyderco Persian knife this way !

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Yeah ive lost a kershaw and a Benchmade and I think this is how too.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

yogihat

Post by yogihat »

I never carry anything in or out of my pockets on my carry side but your post made me think. Never considered inside tags on a shirt being a problem. Thanks for the post.

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I just wanted to bring this up again. Somehow one of my shirts got overlooked when I was cutting the tags and it happend again. This time I checked them all again.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

C-dub wrote:I had something similar a few years ago happen due to having my holster and knife on the same side. I switched the knife to the left front pocket.
I keep my knife in my left front pocket for two reasons.

First, if my right hand is holding a knife it can't be holding my gun.

Second, for retention purposes. I've practiced the scenario where someone is trying to do a gun grab from my holster, where I am trying to retain the gun with my right hand, while I pull the knife with my left hand and start slashing the arm of my opponent.

As for the OP, this is one good reason to shoot IDPA competing with one's actual carry rig. Equipment and wardrobe issues are better to work out on the range in competition instead of on the street when one's life is at stake.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I too keep a knife on my left side but it is a fixed blade on my belt. My folder goes in my right front pocket. I have carried it there for many years and tried to change that but I just couldnt get used to it.
Also I shot IDPA for several years and yes. it has been very helpful.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com

Return to “Never Again!!”