Sportsmans Guide AAAARRRRRGGG!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AR Traveler
Posts in topic: 1

Sportsmans Guide AAAARRRRRGGG!

Post by AR Traveler »

A few months ago I was looking to replenish my supply of 7.62x39 and the Sportsmans Guide had a special, screaming deal of 1000 rounds of Wolf 154 grain for $128 plus shipping. So I order a box and also joined their buyers club (free shipping plus discount for 20-30 bucks) and got the confirming email on the order (price, quantity, etc.). When the order arrived, the invoice was for almost $200! Evidently the "computer" chose a price of $165 for the ammo and added shipping and the buyers club dues. :evil: Called customer non-service and they wanted me to ship the ammo back even though it is against their written policy and illegal (hazardous material that needs a certified shipper). Called the credit card company and had them fight it out with Sportsmans Guide and got the correct price.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I decide to use the coupons they sent thinking they couldn't possibly screw up again. WRONG! For one order of $53.25 I was billed $59+ and a second for $53.96, I was billed $60. Called customer no-service again and got no satisfaction. They said the confirming email was irrelevant and the price I was charged was correct. So I called the credit card company and they refunded the differences.

The problems weren't shipping/taxes or any other charges. It was their website computer isn't the same one that generates invoices/emails. For their perfect batting average, Sportsmans Guide wins my "Never Again" award. :mad:

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I've seen reports of problems in other forums.

Myself, I've never had a problem. I kept ammunition on backorder all last year as the prices were skyrocketing.

Even if it was months before it shipped, it always billed at my ordered price.

My complaint is that they seem to have fewer and fewer 'deals' on shooting supplies.

BTW, I believe Gulf Coast Ammunition in Groves still has Wolf 7.62x39 in some varieties for $122/1000.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I haven't had any problems with them in a dozen or so transactions. The ammo backorder thing is certainly a nuisance though. Right now I've got 2k rounds of 38spl backordered since last September. The price is about 30% of current pricing everywhere else so I will wait for it.

As far as customer service goes, I haven't yet had to call. I hope I never do.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

austin

Post by austin »

There is a worldwide shortage of 7.62 x 39mm right now as the Iraqi Army is training up and operational units are in high tempo.

jimmy

Post by jimmy »

I'm sorry to hear about these problems because I've gotten repeatedly excellent service from SG. Sounds like I've been lucky--so far.

trvlgnome
Posts in topic: 2

Sportsmans guide

Post by trvlgnome »

Sportsmans guide has always been a favorite of mine. I've had a few products returned but all were due to wrong size or just not quite what I wanted. No real quality issues.
That said, I just put in an order for 6 different boxes of ammunition to test in my P3AT and one box of Magtech JHP's for my 9mm. All by far the cheapest I've found. I'll post again when I receive them but I have high hopes.

Hopefully I can give you a report on the KelTec's performance with the various ammo once I'm done as well.

trvlgnome

Sportsmans guide a.o.k.

Post by trvlgnome »

Even though this post is a little tardy, I got all the ammo quickly, all was in stock and at the right price.

para driver

Post by para driver »

austin wrote:There is a worldwide shortage of 7.62 x 39mm right now as the Iraqi Army is training up and operational units are in high tempo.
I have a hard time with that concept, as the manufacturing capabilities in the former Soviet Comm block could, I believe knock this out in a few months..

jbenat

Post by jbenat »

I've never bought ammo through the internet but I have bought several items from S.G. The shipping charges are astronomical! I paid about $15.00 (including shipping) for four little plastic magazine loaders (the kind that fit on your finger) that could have been sent in a envelope but they sent a catalog and several pages of advertising so the shipping cost was something like $6.99. I bought a Uplula pistol magazine loader from eguns.com that is much bigger and heavier but thier shipping charge was just $1.99. Neither purchase was by express delivery, just regular mail. :roll:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

para driver

Post by para driver »

S&H is a profit center.. they get a bulk discount from UPS and charge you retail + labor...

Return to “Never Again!!”