Close call with Glock

So that others may learn.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

WTR

Re: Close call with Glock

Postby WTR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:31 am

tbryanh wrote:You need to be safe from the gun, and you need the gun to make you safe.

1. To be safe from the gun, you need to avoid accidental and negligent discharges.

2. For the gun to make you safe, it needs to fire when you pull the trigger.

Thumb safeties can be excellent when it comes to 1, but they can cause problems when it comes to 2.

If you ever need to fire your weapon in self defence, chances are your going to be nervous and jittery with an overdose of adrenalin pumping through your system. You might pull the trigger without taking the safety off first, and when the gun doesn't fire, your mind might freeze up for a split second making you unable to figure out what the problem is in time to protect yourself.

This might sound far fetched, but its not. While I have not been in any gunfights, I have driven a car for many decades. On a few occasions when I tried to stop the car, I hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. I knew there was a problem, but I didn't know what the cause of the problem was. My foot was stuck to the gas pedal, and my mind froze up for a split second. Luckily my mind snapped out of it in time to move my foot to the brake and stop the car. Similar things can happen when deploying guns that have thumb safeties.

If the gun doesn't fire when you pull the trigger, the gun is not a safe gun.

We obviously have different understandings as to what a safety on a gun is designed for.

Soccerdad1995

Re: Close call with Glock

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:42 am

To use my gun, I need to draw it from the holster, keep my finger off the trigger, take up my sight picture, put my finger on the trigger, and pull the trigger. If it has a safety, I also need to ensure that my method of drawing the gun and taking a grip deactivates that safety. I want to make sure that I can do all of these things naturally, and without thinking, while I am in a high stress situation. So I practice. Ad nauseum. I am confident that when I take my grip during the draw, my thumb will come down and apply pressure to the top of the safety before coming to rest on top of the safety lever. The reason I am confident is because that is exactly where it goes every single time I draw my gun. And every single time I take a firing grip at the range even if I am not practicing my draw, even if I am using a gun that does not have a thumb safety.

I would no sooner "forget" to deactivate the safety than I would "forget" to take the gun out of the holster, or to acquire a sight picture, or even to pull the trigger. There is actually a greater chance of forgetting to do any of those other things because they are things that I actively do as opposed to my thumb position which is a natural result of gripping the gun in my hand.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

Return to “Never Again!!”