Close call with Glock

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Close call with Glock

Post by Bill »

I am a glock fan for 10 years, with that said I have never had the need to unholster in a vehicle. You are looking for trouble and there is no real reason to do this. My glocks stay in a holster until I am at a safe location with no possibility of a round going into something I do not want it to. Carry your glock in a holster and remove the holster period. This will never be a issue if you do. There are plenty of good holster that can be easily removed from your belt or slip belt off and slide holster off. :patriot:
retired CHL Instructor

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

I carry IWB /OWB kydex style holsters exclusively, I like to have a clear path regardless of my position.
Also, if I have to remove the gun, I take the holster off completely. I find it safer plus, I don't have my unholstered piped glock rattling around in console.

Glad you are ok!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Laneman wrote:Hope this helps someone avoid an AD. I had just returned from work late at night, pulled into my driveway and turned off the truck. As always, I reached my Glock out of the center console and went to holster it into the soft holster on right hip. As I pushed the gun into the holster I heard the distinct sound of the trigger catching on the holster edge then snapping free. The holster had plucked the trigger like a guitar string. I no longer holster in the dark. I turn on the cab light and watch the trigger as I slide the gun in. I also do this in the day whenever I holster, always watch and verify the trigger is clear of the holster as it slides in. Be safe everyone.
Coming soon...

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jmra

Post by jmra »

I'll pass. My Glock works just fine the way it is.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

jmra wrote:I'll pass. My Glock works just fine the way it is.
:iagree:
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Laneman wrote:Hope this helps someone avoid an AD. I had just returned from work late at night, pulled into my driveway and turned off the truck. As always, I reached my Glock out of the center console and went to holster it into the soft holster on right hip. As I pushed the gun into the holster I heard the distinct sound of the trigger catching on the holster edge then snapping free. The holster had plucked the trigger like a guitar string. I no longer holster in the dark. I turn on the cab light and watch the trigger as I slide the gun in. I also do this in the day whenever I holster, always watch and verify the trigger is clear of the holster as it slides in. Be safe everyone.
Coming soon...

Unless it would be a factory glock option, I would not mess with that. I prefer all factory components on my carry gun.

But speaking of having your thumb on the rear of the slide :nono: , did anyone watch this hickock45 video :

"rlol"

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

rockinar wrote:
OldCannon wrote:"Soft" holsters are bad, exactly for the reason you have (safely) observed. If you have a gun with an external safety, like a 1911, they're not AS bad, but still.

"Soft" holsters are not bad. Holstering and unholstering any gun while sitting down in a vehicle is bad. Gun in a center console is useless. Might as well leave it at home.
The only acceptable use I can think of for a soft holster is for off body use and keeping stuff out of the trigger guard - for example, using it instead of a zip up case for a gun kept in a truck console.

They are nothing but misery for on body use. They don't hold their shape, the holster itself can get caught inside the trigger guard( see the OP ), and they are nearly impossible to reholster with one handed as one may well need to do immediately after an engagement. They also almost always come with thin metal clips that allow the holster to come out of the pants with the gun when an attempt is made to draw the gun in a serious situation. (Don't ask me how I know this last point, but the moment I discovered it was the last time I ever carried a soft belt holster, and that was 40 years ago.)

Their drawbacks far exceed the advantage of their cheap price.

To those who have used guns professionally for serious purposes, seeing one in use marks the wearer as someone whose gun handling skills should be regarded as suspect at best.

Edit: You may have noticed that they often appear in pictures of OCT events.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

jmra wrote:I'll pass. My Glock works just fine the way it is.

I agree, no need here.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Vol Texan wrote:
This is precisely the reason I changed my EDC from a Glock 36 to my Sig Pro 2022. I used a good leather holster, and I'd never had any issues with it, but I was always concerned about the tail of my shirt (when untucked) catching in the trigger guard as I holstered. I'm not a little guy, so this was a real danger - real enough that I carried without one in the chamber. Yes, I know that's crazy, but the safety concern of holstering the Glock outweighed the risk factor of having to rack one if I had to pull in a hurry. I couldn't live with myself if I'd had a ND and hurt someone.

Now, with my Sig, I can keep my thumb behind the trigger (it's a DA/SA, so I carry hammer forward), and get a tactile response if the trigger is 'self pulling' due to obstruction such as a shirt tail. Edited to correct: I can keep my thumb behind the hammer, not the trigger.

If I were in an OC situation, or if I didn't have to go unarmed at times, this wouldn't be such a concern. But given that I have to holster / unholster / reholster during the day (picking up my daughter at school, etc), I thought the risk was too much.

And I do love the Sig so much more!
Yep. me too. By keeping my thumb on the hammer when holstering I'm getting tactile feel about an AD. I really like my sig M11 A1 (P228) over my Glock 19. It took a little practice getting use to the long 10lb trigger pull on the DA and the softer shorter pull on the SA.

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

I also feel the Sig is the safest pistol out there. That is why I chose it.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

tbryanh wrote:I also feel the Sig is the safest pistol out there. That is why I chose it.
Is there a reason why? Just wondering there are lots of DA/SA with hammers, and it my platform of choice. Is there a reason that this design is safer than others... The one thing that does differentiate the M11-1A from similar handguns is that it has a decocker instead of a safety.

Just curious.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

carlson1 wrote:There is ZERO wrong with leather if you use quality leather makers. Fifteen years using same DM Bullard holster with my G19 it has never went off. :shock:
+1 Bullard products hold up very well.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

Glad you didn't have an accident.

A Glock, like any other firearm, must be respected at all times. DILIGENCE.

Knowing the trigger is the GO button, one must protect it at all costs. A soft holster is not safe.

As one would hold his thumb up on a 1911 safety when holstering, one should cover the trigger/guard with trigger finger when holstering striker fired pistols.

GUN SAFETY never stops.

Practice Practice Practice, until it becomes second nature.

Again, glad no AD, and you noticed what was occurring.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There is nothing wrong with a good nylon holster either. With a DA/SA Inside the waste it is practical and safe. It won't rip ones own personal hide to shreds like Kydex. nor irritate quite like tanned leather. . Although speedy holstering isn't going to happen. Disarming does involve removing both holster and handgun, but a good holster shouldn't ever be drawn with the handgun if properly worn,,,, A good belt is essential.

Everything is an engineering tradeoff. Complexity reliability, convienience. Trainining , Ease of use. There is no one answer for everyone.
No best handgun. No best holster rig, not even best training. A combinition of things though can make us pretty well prepared.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Never Again!!”