Close call with Glock

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Close call with Glock

Post by Excaliber »

Liberty wrote:There is nothing wrong with a good nylon holster either. With a DA/SA Inside the waste it is practical and safe. It won't rip ones own personal hide to shreds like Kydex. nor irritate quite like tanned leather. . Although speedy holstering isn't going to happen. Disarming does involve removing both holster and handgun, but a good holster shouldn't ever be drawn with the handgun if properly worn,,,, A good belt is essential.

Everything is an engineering tradeoff. Complexity reliability, convienience. Trainining , Ease of use. There is no one answer for everyone.
No best handgun. No best holster rig, not even best training. A combinition of things though can make us pretty well prepared.
This is true, and is why nylon rigs are not good holsters - because they DO come out with the gun way too often when a rapid draw is attempted.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

Getting prepared for Jan 1 2016, I did find some nylon holsters and bought a couple. They work very well, when I show them to my students and explain that they are legal but not the even close to the safest way to carry a pistol. I do make sure they know that that is my opinion and that it seems that many others have the same opinion.

I do not understand why folks spend hundreds of dollars on their pistol and then carry it in a holster that cost less than $20.00. (they probably cost less than $2.00 to make and ship.)
just sayin
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

Liberty wrote:
tbryanh wrote:I also feel the Sig is the safest pistol out there. That is why I chose it.
Is there a reason why? Just wondering there are lots of DA/SA with hammers, and it my platform of choice. Is there a reason that this design is safer than others... The one thing that does differentiate the M11-1A from similar handguns is that it has a decocker instead of a safety.

Just curious.
As mentioned, it is safe to holster by keeping your thumb on the hammer. It appears this is what the after market device for the Glock is trying to achieve.

Other DA/SA pistols that have safeties instead of decockers add complexity to operating the pistol. In an urgent situation, you can forget to take off the safety, then when you are unable to pull the trigger, your mind might go blank at that point as to what the problem is. This is why I stay away from pistols that have safeties.

The heavy trigger pull on the first shot makes up for not having a safety.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

tbryanh wrote:

The heavy trigger pull on the first shot makes up for not having a safety,
:smash:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

tbryanh wrote: Other DA/SA pistols that have safeties instead of decockers add complexity to operating the pistol. In an urgent situation, you can forget to take off the safety, then when you are unable to pull the trigger, your mind might go blank at that point as to what the problem is. This is why I stay away from pistols that have safeties.

I see where you are coming from, I do maintain that its how you train. If you practice your draw a correctly with the typical SA/DA the safety will always be off before your handgun is in a low ready position.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

tbryanh wrote:
Liberty wrote:
tbryanh wrote:I also feel the Sig is the safest pistol out there. That is why I chose it.
Is there a reason why? Just wondering there are lots of DA/SA with hammers, and it my platform of choice. Is there a reason that this design is safer than others... The one thing that does differentiate the M11-1A from similar handguns is that it has a decocker instead of a safety.

Just curious.
As mentioned, it is safe to holster by keeping your thumb on the hammer. It appears this is what the after market device for the Glock is trying to achieve.

Other DA/SA pistols that have safeties instead of decockers add complexity to operating the pistol. In an urgent situation, you can forget to take off the safety, then when you are unable to pull the trigger, your mind might go blank at that point as to what the problem is. This is why I stay away from pistols that have safeties.

Many police administrators thought so too - until they discovered that heavy trigger pulls significantly and adversely affect accuracy among those who do not train frequently.

Making the gun harder to shoot also makes it harder to shoot well.

This doesn't mean that it's not a good choice for a given individual who is willing to maintain a high level of skill with the weapon, but in general a gun with a heavy trigger pull on the first or all shots wouldn't be a good choice for an occasional shooter from an accuracy performance under stress standpoint.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

Excaliber wrote:
tbryanh wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Just curious.

Many police administrators thought so too - until they discovered that heavy trigger pulls significantly and adversely affect accuracy among those who do not train frequently.

Making the gun harder to shoot also makes it harder to shoot well.

This doesn't mean that it's not a good choice for a given individual who is willing to maintain a high level of skill with the weapon, but in general a gun with a heavy trigger pull on the first or all shots wouldn't be a good choice for an occasional shooter from an accuracy performance under stress standpoint.
There is no perfect system. You trade one problem for another. I choose the problem Sig has over the problems the other pistols have.

chanpuang91

Post by chanpuang91 »

In the truck I have my serpa holster on my hip. Then for CC I use the Blackhawk IWB soft holster. I haven't had a issue with my Glock 19. I will be getting a new IWB holster though just for adjusting the cant because I appendix carry.

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

lose that soft holster!

I wrote a how to a long time ago on this forum, with pretty decent instructions on how to make your own Kydex/Leather hybrid holster. Theyre cheap and info on construction and materials is all over the web.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I don't know how you could make that argument when a 1911 has both a grip and thumb safety and mt H & K has both a decocker and a thumb safety.

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

WTR wrote:
I don't know how you could make that argument when a 1911 has both a grip and thumb safety and mt H & K has both a decocker and a thumb safety.
Thumb safeties are considered by many to be a hazard when trying to deploy a weapon. I buy into that philosophy, so I consider a thumb safety to be a hazard.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

tbryanh wrote:
WTR wrote:
Thumb safeties are considered by many to be a hazard when trying to deploy a weapon. I buy into that philosophy, so I consider a thumb safety to be a hazard.

You have a problem with a thumb safety, that's a you problem not a pistol safety problem.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

I'd say that thumb safety,for me at least, is an additional step that I see as disadvantageous in self defense scenario. I could get better with practice I'm sure, but, while I love my Gold Cup and I think that it's the prettiest gun I've ever owned, my Glock rides with me all the time.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

parabelum wrote:I'd say that thumb safety,for me at least, is an additional step that I see as disadvantageous in self defense scenario. I could get better with practice I'm sure, but, while I love my Gold Cup and I think that it's the prettiest gun I've ever owned, my Glock rides with me all the time.

I was not addressing as to which pistol was most pretty. If that were the case I would nominate the 1911 or BHP for a semi auto pistol. I was responding to which inert object is more safe, one with a safety or one without a safety. I was not addressing the subject of what one considers a more deploy able weapon either. In the deploy able vain, I would make the argument that the majority of people would make a much or accurate "first shot" from a pistol in single action mode than double action mode. Personally, I could careless what weapon one chooses to care. However, I believe that the statement that a Sig is the safest pistol is ridiculous. In respect to your Glock, I seem to recall the term "Glock leg", not 1911 leg or H & k leg. I believe stereo types are earned and not given.

tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

You need to be safe from the gun, and you need the gun to make you safe.

1. To be safe from the gun, you need to avoid accidental and negligent discharges.

2. For the gun to make you safe, it needs to fire when you pull the trigger.

Thumb safeties can be excellent when it comes to 1, but they can cause problems when it comes to 2.

If you ever need to fire your weapon in self defence, chances are your going to be nervous and jittery with an overdose of adrenalin pumping through your system. You might pull the trigger without taking the safety off first, and when the gun doesn't fire, your mind might freeze up for a split second making you unable to figure out what the problem is in time to protect yourself.

This might sound far fetched, but its not. While I have not been in any gunfights, I have driven a car for many decades. On a few occasions when I tried to stop the car, I hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. I knew there was a problem, but I didn't know what the cause of the problem was. My foot was stuck to the gas pedal, and my mind froze up for a split second. Luckily my mind snapped out of it in time to move my foot to the brake and stop the car. Similar things can happen when deploying guns that have thumb safeties.

If the gun doesn't fire when you pull the trigger, the gun is not a safe gun.

Return to “Never Again!!”