Outed at Church

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Outed at Church

Post by chasfm11 »

I took a different approach and got a Kangaroo Carry for just such situations. Yes, it is a compromise

1. Draw from a Kangaroo is slower to much slower but with practice and the right setup, it gets better

2. Some people don't like the "girdle" feel of the Kangaroo. I've gotten used to it.

3. My Sig P250 is probably a bit smaller than your Glock.

Like TAM, I often play musical instruments in our church and am on display in front of the congregation. I tried my Minotaur but found that there were situations just like yours and I wasn't willing to risk them where the whole congregation was staring at me. As a member sitting in a pew, it might not be as bad.

In over two years and a lot of playing, noone has noticed.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

bauer

Post by bauer »

I have worn an undershirt since my high school years even in the summer time when the temps get north of the 100 degree mark. The majority of the time I'm in a t-shirt or a polo with the undershirt underneath (I prefer the Costco brand undershirts due the the fact they fit loose and are a heavier fabric). I carry in a king tuk with the same style belt clips that you have at the 5 o'clock position and even being a smaller framed individual my weapon completely disappears. When I know that im going to be bending and or reaching high I tend to tuck a small portion of the undershirt's tail under the lip of the left clip. This prevents the undershirt from riding up and exposing my Kimber should I bend down or reach high. I only tuck on the left clip and with the shirt being as loose as it is it still allows me to still get the shirt out of the way and draw should the occasion arise.
R.I.P SSG Ward 6 Apr 2013
"Garry Owen"

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

knotquiteawake wrote:Thankfully Saturday nights have been really light recently...

I guess while I was bending over doing one of our venerations (its an eastern orthodox church, its kind of like a 3/4s bowing down) my shirt rode up a bit, then got caught between grip and my back exposing part of the frame and the holster (but not the grip itself I think). One of the deacons who was behind me in line let me know the following day about it.

I was wearing a XL long sleeve shirt (normally I would wear a L), it was a glock 19, and it was in a crossbreed super tuck at about 3:30-4:00.

Its kind of frustrating. I still can't seem to find that magic combination of cant and "time" on my waistline to make the glock 19 disappear (oh, it "disappears" just fine if I'm standing straight up, but life doesn't work like that). Probably 3-4 people might have noticed (there were maybe 6-7 people other than clergy there that night anyways). I will probably go back to carrying my pocket .32 on saturdays/sundays until i figure this out.

When I use the Crossbreed riding low (clips on the top holes to make it ride as low as possible) its pretty uncomfortable to sit down, when I make it ride higher it sticks out like a sore thumb if I even lean forward. The holster doesn't seem to work very well if its at 3:00 because I'm pretty skinny but its the only location I can think of where that might be less of an issue.

so embarrassed by this. Cats out of the bag for me. Thankfully that deacon is a gun friendly guy, he was more laughing at me that reprimanding.
It's more likely that the deacon behind you was the only one who noticed.

People see what they expect to see, and rarely notice nonintrusive detail unless something happens to draw attention directly to it.

You might consider an under the shirt elastic holster that places the gun under your support hand arm. A normal dress shirt will conceal this just fine, regardless of whether you're bending or not.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TexAg12

Post by TexAg12 »

I carry the same set up with a glock 19 in the supertuck. I wear mine at about 5 o clock though. The back clip on the holster is usually just in front of the back belt loop. I don't know how well it will work for your body type, but you might give it a try. I can generally wear just about anything without problem.
a.k.a. Moose

"I carry 'cause a cop is hard to conceal."

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I just can not get comfortable with anything on my waist. I've tried a cross breed super tuck, as well as some other IWB holsters, but I just can't get comfortable with them. I've opted for the Deep Concealed Shoulder Holster. I wear it under my shirt. An emergency draw will mean flying buttons, but I'll worry about that then. In many situations, drawing will be slower, but the gun stays in the same place for all occasions. It's just as easy to draw from a siting position as from a standing one. They do make specialized shirts with hook and loop fasteners for a more rapid draw.
No, you're not going to win a Dodge City, fast draw type of gun fight with this holster. But you will have it with you every where you go, regardless of what you're wearing. It will always be in the same place, and you will be able to dress the way you want, not the way you need to for concealment.
I do also carry a .380 BUG in a pocket holster in the right hand hip pocket. If for some reason, I couldn't readily get to the 9MM on my shoulder, hopefully the BUG will buy me some time. The shoulder holster also has a place for spare mags for each.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

BigGuy wrote:I just can not get comfortable with anything on my waist. I've tried a cross breed super tuck, as well as some other IWB holsters, but I just can't get comfortable with them. I've opted for the Deep Concealed Shoulder Holster. I wear it under my shirt. An emergency draw will mean flying buttons, but I'll worry about that then. In many situations, drawing will be slower, but the gun stays in the same place for all occasions. It's just as easy to draw from a siting position as from a standing one. They do make specialized shirts with hook and loop fasteners for a more rapid draw.
No, you're not going to win a Dodge City, fast draw type of gun fight with this holster. But you will have it with you every where you go, regardless of what you're wearing. It will always be in the same place, and you will be able to dress the way you want, not the way you need to for concealment.
I do also carry a .380 BUG in a pocket holster in the right hand hip pocket. If for some reason, I couldn't readily get to the 9MM on my shoulder, hopefully the BUG will buy me some time. The shoulder holster also has a place for spare mags for each.
The reason I don't wear a belly band is how hot and uncomfortable it is, though it does make me sympathize with the wife a bit. ;-)

This looks like it would be about the same. Anyone have experience with this type AND belly bands that can offer a comparative review?
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “Never Again!!”