Don't forget this important component of your CHL ensemble..

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 1

Don't forget this important component of your CHL ensemble..

Post by GlockenHammer »

I return home from work today in a rush to get changed from my work clothes into something more suitable for the evening and get my son to soccer practice. I'm barred from having my gun in my vehicle at work, so I have to strap on after I get home. I wear an IWB holster and tuck my shirt over my gun for a tidy look and good concealment.

So, off to soccer to drop off. Back home to mow the lawn before it rains again. Back to soccer to pick up. (All the while, I'm replaying threads I've seen here about carry being uncomfortable and how my usual response is that I've never had a problem. Except today I just can't quite seem to get it comfortable.) Anyway...

Oops, time for bed already? Where did the day go?

So I head back into the closet and point in the direction of an external brick wall (my safe direction) to practice my one draw from concealment I get a day before locking her up for the night. Much to my surprise, my hand finds nothing but an empty holster :shock:

I actually tucked my shirt around an empty holster in my 3:00 position and didn't notice there wasn't a gun in there! Holy cow! I need to slow down and get some sleep. Speaking of sleep....maybe I should start following my own advice.

Stay safe,
GH

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Thank God you found out about it at home! :shock:

I have done the exact same thing with a leather holster. I rush to get a gun into my comp-tac.....it really is uncomfortable empty. I guess the gun gives the sweat shield some solidity and stops it from stabbing you in the kidney!

I have a practice routine much like yours in the evening. I will also do a mag change with my extra mag....I have reached into an empty pocket (Nemesis mag packer) on more than one occasion with my other mag already on the ground and find nothing there but lint.

I guess we live and learn. Thanks for the reminder.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

OverEasy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OverEasy »

Been there, done that!

Hey, maybe we should make up a tee shirt, think they would sell?

When I did that, I used it as an example to tell my wife why she should ALWAYS carry. Incase I have a "Senior moment".

We each carry a key for the other ones vehicle!!!

Stay safe, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

BACK UP GUN. It can not only save you if your primary weapon fails but it can also save you from yourself. ;-)

I'm glad that the error didn't cost you any more than embarrassment. I do equipment checks several times a day for this very reason.

Gary
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

Left the weapon on the table and went out to do my chores. Went all over the property with my tractor, and then noticed the holster was empty. I thought I had lost in in the fields somewhere.

After looking for some time, I went back in the house and saw it on the table...talk about a relief! I was afraid I had run over it with the tractor and buried it :shock:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

bad moderator!!!! BAAAAAAAAAADDDDDUHHHHH MODERATOR!!!

:lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

OverEasy wrote:We each carry a key for the other ones vehicle!!!
Is 42 too young to be doing this???

Or are we over compensating??? :lol:

Or, can I just blame my wife...(I like this one)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Stevie-d-64,
I don't know how long you have been married. But blameing your wife NEVER works out good, trust me! It'll come back to haunt you.

No matter what your age carry the key to the spouses ride. You will get home sooner and cheaper.

+ 1 on the backup gun and the FOX and the knife. But discovering that empty holster is weird!

My wife asks me if I'm holstered up, NOW, before we leave the house. But she still lets me walk around with my hair all messed up. Quote: "Oh I didn't even notice"

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Return to “Never Again!!”