Steel plates, fun, but not at close range

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Steel plates, fun, but not at close range

Post by RogueUSMC »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:You never know what will happen. I've been shot multiple times by ricochet's, last one being about say, three months ago. Myself and three other people were shooting targets I set up on a stock tank embankment, and I was observing their 25-30yrd crack shots at bottle caps and spent shot shells, when somebody shot, and as soon as I hear the vvvvrrrmmm, of a ricochet, I was trying to hit the deck, but as I was heading for the ground, I heard "thud," quickly followed by a great big "Ughh." Before I realized it, It was me curled over, holding my right side. A .40cal slug angled off of some rocks just under a tad of dirt and smacked me dead in ribs. I always wear eye protection, and depending on who I'm with, and what we're shooting, I'll wear a light vest. Even if you can't see a ricochet hazard, they're always there.
You move faster than I do...I hear a ricochet and then stop to think, "good thing it missed me." Knowing my luck, I'd dive right in front of it, where if I stood still it would go around me...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VMI77 »

MechAg94 wrote:I have never had an issue with steel as long as the plate is set it up so it is not rigid. IMO, any steel targets at close or intermediate range should be set up to hang or fall over so they always move when they are hit. Allowing movement helps absorb the bullet impact even if you are not using soft lead ammo.

I would also agree with the post above about setting it up with a slight angle. Not hard to do hanging a heavy plate by a bolt on the back side.

Of course, you should still use eye protection, but that goes for any shooting at all.
This. The movement also changes the angles of incidence and reflection.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Some really good info and insights in this video.

Range Tour 2: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

RogueUSMC wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:You never know what will happen. I've been shot multiple times by ricochet's, last one being about say, three months ago. Myself and three other people were shooting targets I set up on a stock tank embankment, and I was observing their 25-30yrd crack shots at bottle caps and spent shot shells, when somebody shot, and as soon as I hear the vvvvrrrmmm, of a ricochet, I was trying to hit the deck, but as I was heading for the ground, I heard "thud," quickly followed by a great big "Ughh." Before I realized it, It was me curled over, holding my right side. A .40cal slug angled off of some rocks just under a tad of dirt and smacked me dead in ribs. I always wear eye protection, and depending on who I'm with, and what we're shooting, I'll wear a light vest. Even if you can't see a ricochet hazard, they're always there.
You move faster than I do...I hear a ricochet and then stop to think, "good thing it missed me." Knowing my luck, I'd dive right in front of it, where if I stood still it would go around me...
My other experiences have been the opposite, usually it's, "thud" followed by "Vrrrrmmm" and "ahh!" I've had worse experiences with hot brass getting caught in a glove or such, but it's still an eye opener for sure.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:
My other experiences have been the opposite, usually it's, "thud" followed by "Vrrrrmmm" and "ahh!" I've had worse experiences with hot brass getting caught in a glove or such, but it's still an eye opener for sure.
ahhh, hot brass...night fire in boot camp saw a half dozen pieces go down the back of my shirt. I laid my rifle down and commenced to rollin' around tryina get that brass outta my shirt...that was tucked in my trousers...under my blouse...under the flak jacket...while the DIs were all over me like white on rice...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

RogueUSMC wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:
ahhh, hot brass...night fire in boot camp saw a half dozen pieces go down the back of my shirt. I laid my rifle down and commenced to rollin' around tryina get that brass outta my shirt...that was tucked in my trousers...under my blouse...under the flak jacket...while the DIs were all over me like white on rice...lol
Good times! :smilelol5:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

E10 wrote:There's a sign on the plinkin' range (Range 8) at the Fort Bliss Rod & Gun Club: 'No fruit or vegetables.' Seems the range workers got tired o' cleanin' up the mess.
Raccoons did a great job of cleaning up the cream cheese shrapnel from one experiment. Birds and bunnies ate well after the oranges.

Return to “Never Again!!”