So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
buddyhotrod
Posts in topic: 5

Need some advice on printing. And accidental exposure

Post by buddyhotrod »

Hello everyone

So I have been conceal carrying since early November when I got my chl.

Often when I am wearing a t shirt the handle of the weapon sticks out slightly. Is this illegal?
The weapon is a xds 3.3 in 45.
It is very slim an the only issue that the end of the gun makes a slight bulge. In no way does it look like or resemble a fire arm.

Next question
When getting dressed in the house before I go out often I will reach up to a cabinet for a cup and my wife will say that my gun is exposed.

If this were to accidently happen in public do to the wind blowing my shirt up or if perhaps I'm at a store and reach for something and the gun were to be exposed briefly.

Is this a violation? If so what are the consequences if this were to accidently happen?

Thanks for your time in reading my post.
Be kind and rewind.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need some advice on printing. And accidental exposure

Post by Beiruty »

In Texas,
There is no more offense for:
1) Printing, What printing?
2) Unintentional failure to conceal.

The law states the offense is for: " intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place."

See here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So to answer both your questions, there is no crime committed.
That being said, concealed means concealed. It is wise to dress around your method of carry. If you carry OWB then wear a jacket or sports vest.
For IWB, wear longer shirts and at least +1 size your pants and shirts. And, darker shirts work best.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
buddyhotrod

Post by buddyhotrod »

Ok

That is really good advice.

Thank you for your time.

very much appreciative :-)
Be kind and rewind.

cheezit
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cheezit »

Odds are your wife is the only one to notice. Most people are completely blind to the world

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

Beiruty and cheezit are both correct.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Beiruty and cheezit and SRH78 are all correct. :mrgreen: :cheers2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SRH78 wrote:Beiruty and cheezit are both correct.
Ssssssshhhhhhh! They'll get all big-headed about it.

Bottom line, don't do anything foolish, and dress around the gun. Nobody will know.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Beiruty wrote:In Texas,
There is no more offense for:
1) Printing, What printing?
2) Unintentional failure to conceal.

The law states the offense is for: " intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place."

See here: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So to answer both your questions, there is no crime committed.
That being said, concealed means concealed. It is wise to dress around your method of carry. If you carry OWB then wear a jacket or sports vest.
For IWB, wear longer shirts and at least +1 size your pants and shirts. And, darker shirts work best.
Or a nice Hawaiian shirt. :tiphat:

Outnumbered

Post by Outnumbered »

I agree with what the others have said. A helpful hint: When you reach for items above your head, use the hand opposite your gun. If you're carrying on your right hip, reach for the top shelf with your left hand. It makes a big difference.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Outnumbered wrote:I agree with what the others have said. A helpful hint: When you reach for items above your head, use the hand opposite your gun. If you're carrying on your right hip, reach for the top shelf with your left hand. It makes a big difference.
And do the low/high or low/low hug

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

...or a fishing vest. Just kidding!

Dress around the gun as TAM said, and get a good gun belt if you don't have one. A gun belt will keep it exactly where it needs to be. When dressing, I will ask my wife if I have any doubt about concealment. You certainly don't want to cause unnecessary alarm to the innocent bystander, but it is very rare that anyone would ever notice.

Topic author
buddyhotrod

Post by buddyhotrod »

Rrash wrote:...or a fishing vest. Just kidding!

You certainly don't want to cause unnecessary alarm to the innocent bystander

Hey thanks for the positive input but my concern is I just do not want to waste tax payer dollars for the police to have to come out for a bogus "person with a gun" call. That is like 1 hour or 2 hours possibly and with most officers around here making 25 to 35 dollars a hour or more along with a brand new 6 figure state of the art Tahoe sitting there idling, well the cost of tax payer dollars starts to climb pretty good. Not too mention all or any other officers that show up, then those numbers start to double. I mean you're talking a few thousand dollars per bogus person with a gun call.

?Uninformed Bystanders really? I'm thinking tax dollars and a waste of the Police departments time.

Think about it.. A department gets a call for a person with a gun call. How do you think they respond to those calls?
Yeah every officer in that area is gonna show up..

Uninformed Bystanders?
You say innocent I say uninformed their choice.

Did anyone read about the recent Florida guy who was 63 years old who was getting out of his car in a walmart parking lot and for a split second his concealed weapon was exposed and some super saver guy saw the weapon in the parking lot and followed the old guy into walmart then blindsided the old man and put him into a choke hold and began screaming he has a gun?

The cops showed up and arrested the super saver with assault and took him away.
The conceal carry old man was trying to say "I have a permit"

Just saying

Gotta take into consideration all of the different aspects.
Be kind and rewind.

DEB

Post by DEB »

When I first joined this site, that was one of my first questions as well. There was this one codger on here that said just carry and don't worry about it and really in some detail. So I did, just to see what kind of reactions I got and etc. I now carry a full size 1911 outside the waist belt, with a somewhat oversize shirt to cover it, usually dark in color. I have been doing this for going on 3 years, no issues. Quicker to get to in case of need and I use this same carry configuration when I occasionally compete. I think the only ones who really notice, is those who carry themselves or those folks intentionally looking for those carrying. The rest, unless you are making a nuisance of yourself, probably don't even care.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

cheezit wrote:Odds are your wife is the only one to notice. Most people are completely blind to the world
That was the biggest surprise. I figured mothers would point to the place where the gun was and whisper to their friend and they would move sideways to avoid me. I mean doesn't every one see that slight crease in my jacket.

No they are oblivious.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

DEB,

Codgers are legion on this site.

Personally, I prefer the sobriquet: Geezer!

Sadly, not all that long ago I was a Jr. Geezer with almost non-wrinkled skin. Now, I look like Homer Simpson's dad.

Return to “Never Again!!”