Learned a lesson about "jugging"

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

bortaz
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Learned a lesson about "jugging"

Post by bortaz »

Oldgringo wrote:Another reason that I'm glad that we call a rural hamlet of some 3,500-4,000 God fearin' folk home.

(The signs at the edge of town reads POP. 5,500 but some 1,500-2,000 of 'em are either in one of the prisons or the state hospital.) :mrgreen:

Sounds like my old stomping grounds of Rusk, in Cherokee County. I surely miss it.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

bortaz wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Another reason that I'm glad that we call a rural hamlet of some 3,500-4,000 God fearin' folk home.

(The signs at the edge of town reads POP. 5,500 but some 1,500-2,000 of 'em are either in one of the prisons or the state hospital.) :mrgreen:
Sounds like my old stomping grounds of Rusk, in Cherokee County. I surely miss it.
You nailed it, Rusk it is. Y'all come on by and sit a spell.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VMI77 »

Anyone using an ATM needs to have their guard up. I avoid the problem by never using an ATM.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

My wife and I have discussed scenarios like this, and her instructions are to drive straight to the local police station. They might follow, but I doubt that will attack. We also have home on our GPS set to the police station, not our house.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You learned a big lesson without paying a heavy price. It's always a good day when you survive intact.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

TexDotCom

Post by TexDotCom »

Thanks for sharing the story and giving a "heads-up" about this. Glad everything worked out well for you.

:txflag:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

baldeagle wrote:We also have home on our GPS set to the police station, not our house.
That is probably the craftiest thing I've heard in awhile. Don't have GPS on my car, but if I ever do I'm doing that.
NRA Benefactor Member

bortaz

Post by bortaz »

Oldgringo wrote:
bortaz wrote:

I was born and raised in good ol' Jacksonville, but lived in Rusk for many years...doing 8-hour sentences at the state prison there (as an employee!). Moved away to the valley nearly 11 years ago...career change etc. Still have family all over Jacksonville, Rusk, Dialville, and Maydelle. East Texas is the best place in the world. Nothing else compares.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

bortaz wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
bortaz wrote:

I was born and raised in good ol' Jacksonville, but lived in Rusk for many years...doing 8-hour sentences at the state prison there (as an employee!). Moved away to the valley nearly 11 years ago...career change etc. Still have family all over Jacksonville, Rusk, Dialville, and Maydelle. East Texas is the best place in the world. Nothing else compares.
We were sent here in '94 to build the Hodge Unit and ended up buying a house. I went on to several jobs upon completion of that prison while Mrs. Oldgringo stayed here as Main Street Manager and Asst. City Manager. We both quit working in '04 and hit the roads. Rusk is home and where we'll hang up our 'rock and roll shoes' - 6 or 700 miles from the nearest family. We have spent the past 5 summers in NW Montana. That's a great place to be in the summer but I suspect it's a little nippy up there in the winter.

Merry Christmas to your house from our house in the Pineywoods

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SA_Steve »

I've been a visitor and land owner in Palestine and Rusk (westside down hwy79) since the late 60's. Glad to have sold the Palestine place a few years ago, as did three different friends of mine. Still have happy friends firmly planted in Jacksonville.

Had to get out of Palestine for our own safety from crime and the stink of the local politics, judges, and lawyers was just too much. That town has turned into meth central.
You may have the last word.

bortaz

Post by bortaz »

Oldgringo wrote:
bortaz wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
bortaz wrote:

We were sent here in '94 to build the Hodge Unit and ended up buying a house. I went on to several jobs upon completion of that prison while Mrs. Oldgringo stayed here as Main Street Manager and Asst. City Manager. We both quit working in '04 and hit the roads. Rusk is home and where we'll hang up our 'rock and roll shoes' - 6 or 700 miles from the nearest family. We have spent the past 5 summers in NW Montana. That's a great place to be in the summer but I suspect it's a little nippy up there in the winter.

Merry Christmas to your house from our house in the Pineywoods
My wife was born in Kalispel, MT, and would like to look into that area as a summer locale when we retire. I've seen real snow twice or 3 times, so I'm a bit dubious of MT in the winter...

bortaz

Post by bortaz »

SA_Steve wrote:I've been a visitor and land owner in Palestine and Rusk (westside down hwy79) since the late 60's. Glad to have sold the Palestine place a few years ago, as did three different friends of mine. Still have happy friends firmly planted in Jacksonville.

Had to get out of Palestine for our own safety from crime and the stink of the local politics, judges, and lawyers was just too much. That town has turned into meth central.

The only good thing about Palestine, and the thing I miss most about East Texas...Little Mexico restaurant. I live right on the border with Mexico in the valley, and the Mexican food down here just isn't comparable to good old Tex-mex...and I grew up with Little Mexico as the gold standard for that.

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SA_Steve »

I remember, must have been in the 70's or 80's, when the owner of Little Mexico sold the place...then he opened a new place right across the street.
You may have the last word.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Beware of Topic drift and Forum Rule #10.

--One of your friendly moderators
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

bortaz wrote:
SA_Steve wrote:I've been a visitor and land owner in Palestine and Rusk (westside down hwy79) since the late 60's. Glad to have sold the Palestine place a few years ago, as did three different friends of mine. Still have happy friends firmly planted in Jacksonville.

The only good thing about Palestine, and the thing I miss most about East Texas...Little Mexico restaurant. I live right on the border with Mexico in the valley, and the Mexican food down here just isn't comparable to good old Tex-mex...and I grew up with Little Mexico as the gold standard for that.
While Montana is a Gold Star OC state, you just don't see it anywhere in town. I OC'd into a Mexican restaurant in Kalispell one day just to see what would happen. What happened was that we don't like Mexican food. There is a huge difference between Mexican food and Tex-Mex...we prefer to CC while eating Tex-Mex preparation.

Return to “Never Again!!”