8 year old Playing with gun dies. No. 4 Houston

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 8 year old Playing with gun dies. No. 4 Houston

Post by mojo84 »

Charles makes a good point. Further to his comment, we have to remember along with Liberty comes risk. It shouldn't take laws to make us do what is prudent and safe.

Unfortunately, in our narcissistic entitlement society, I believe the idea of a criminal penalty is the predominate deterrent for some over the chance of a child being killed. I know it's a sad comment but considering how many people endanger kids in other ways with driving and drugs, I believe it's true.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

:iagree: as well with Charles' comments in general. I do, however, find it difficult to term events such as this accidents. For me, they fall under the broad category of negligence and are for the most part avoidable. Education is indeed one key toward avoiding such tragedies -- education not only for gun owners but also for kids. Eddie Eagle is a great program, as is NSSF's Project ChildSafe. These programs don't reach nearly as many ears as need to hear them. Another key to avoiding such tragedies is a society infected with personal responsibility and accountability. Unfortunately, as we allow the powers-that-be to destroy the family and other positively guiding influences on society, we (as a society -- though I realize the audience here is an exception) have also abdicated accountability and personal responsibility in favor of political correctness and the State as a de-facto deity.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TXBO »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: ...... Gun owners' track record is also improving, likely because of a push for firearms safety training. We need to keep educating parents on how to secure their firearms to reduce accidents further.

Chas.
I think the explosive rate at which women are training and carrying has a lot to do with the decline in firearms accidents. They don't bring the egos to training that men do.

doncb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by doncb »

mojo84 wrote: "...we have to remember along with Liberty comes risk. It shouldn't take laws to make us do what is prudent and safe. ..."
I would change that from "risk" to responsibility.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

doncb wrote:
mojo84 wrote: "...we have to remember along with Liberty comes risk. It shouldn't take laws to make us do what is prudent and safe. ..."
Change it if you want but they both apply. Do they not?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

doncb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by doncb »

mojo84 wrote:
doncb wrote:
Change it if you want but they both apply. Do they not?
I was thinking more in the context of this instance. If the gun owner had shown more responsibility the kids wouldn't have had access to the gun.
In the larger picture of life in general, yes they do without a doubt both apply.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Return to “Never Again!!”