potential situation avoided

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Re: potential situation avoided

Post by mr1337 »

I don't think OP was paranoid, just cautious. I don't think it was out of line to high-tail it out of there. Probably what I would have done even if I were carrying.

Sure, the guy might not have had any malicious intent, but do you really want to stick around to find out? You're pretty vulnerable when in your car, especially when there's someone distracting you through your passenger window.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
truckster
Posts in topic: 4

Post by truckster »

wheelgun1958 wrote:
truckster wrote:I use Paige Road to get home to avoid the construction and traffic on 423 any time I can. I actually live on the West side of 423 and N Colony, so I'm going out of my way a bit by going through that intersection but it still saves me time from the traffic and whatnot.
You could try Standridge-Memorial-Blair Oaks-North Colony.
I use that route when going to and from Lewisville

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Just like it's possible he was doing something friendly, it's equally possible that he was up to no good, or what's happened to me before… he was road-raging for something you did, but you weren't aware that you ticked him off.

I had a situation years ago where I must have cut someone off or something, but he got out of his truck and came to my window and began beating on the window and demanding I get out… I was carrying. It sucked big time. I won't hijack the thread with the rest of the story, but getting out of dodge is a much better option than sticking around in my opinion.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Better to be sure and leave than hang around and find out if he was up to no good or not.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

So I agree with the initial running of the red-light in lieu of waiting to see if he was up to no good. I don't know the area so I don't know the options, but I believe I would have made a u-turn after making the left, make another left at the next light or something else that is highly unlikely after making that turn to see if who-ever it was followed.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Shotgun_jeremy wrote:Check your brake/tail lights. I've never, nor would I ever, gotten out at a red light to tell someone they had a brake light out, but I have followed people to parking lots and told them from a non-threatening distance/while staying in my vehicle. It could have been someone just trying to give you a friendly heads up.
:iagree:

One night, quite a few years ago, I came up behind a Jeep that didn't have a single light on the back of it, including brake lights when it stopped. When traffic allowed, I pulled up next to it on the driver's side and spoke to the young lady through the window. I offered to follow her into a parking lot to help if she wished, but she declined. That was a smart thing for her to do considering she didn't know me and couldn't tell if I was lying. After she declined, I sped up and stayed in front of her, so she wouldn't be nervous thinking I was following.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

atx2a

Post by atx2a »

I would have done the same thing. I had a similar experience in Dallas a few years ago in the Walnut Hill area (not a good area). Except the person was in front of me and got out and started walking toward me. There was nobody behind me, so I floored it in reverse and drove over the divider bump into the right turn lane and took off.

It was a large guy and every hair on the back of my neck stood up. Never got in the car again without a firearm.
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

Return to “Never Again!!”