When Bad Holsters Turn Worse

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gdnewcomer
Posts in topic: 1

When Bad Holsters Turn Worse

Post by gdnewcomer »

First post to the group. Thanks for the ad. Did a search in the group and did not find a match. Pretty good read on Nylon IWB holsters.

The OP's take on "flexible" materials and the "one size fits all" is pretty good. And the pics of his uhh lil accident due to his T-Shirt bunching up are a good and constant reminder to be vigilant with safety at all times.

http://concealednation.org/2016/02/when ... essential/

gdnewcomer

Countryside
Banned

Re: When Bad Holsters Turn Worse

Post by Countryside »

No doubt it was a striker fire type pistol, and something...a thread from the holster...his t-shirt or shirt...something pulled the trigger. Since the so-called "safety" is on the trigger itself...and since it doesn't know what is pulling the trigger (finger, shirt, etc) there was nothing stopping the trigger from being pulled and the gun firing. Also, how did whatever pulled the trigger gain access to the trigger? I couldn't tell from the pic of the holster if it covered the trigger guard. Soft nylon holsters have never appealed to me...and now they sure don't. I am glad he's going to be okay, and glad the police had a sense of humor.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

Wow - sounds like from reading the article the guy did everything right, just was a poor choice in holsters. Sucks that he had to learn such a valuable lesson the hard way, but at least he wasn't seriously injured. The upside is everyone can gain a 'what not to do' out of the experience.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Countryside wrote:No doubt it was a striker fire type pistol, and something...a thread from the holster...his t-shirt or shirt...something pulled the trigger. Since the so-called "safety" is on the trigger itself...and since it doesn't know what is pulling the trigger (finger, shirt, etc) there was nothing stopping the trigger from being pulled and the gun firing. Also, how did whatever pulled the trigger gain access to the trigger? I couldn't tell from the pic of the holster if it covered the trigger guard. Soft nylon holsters have never appealed to me...and now they sure don't. I am glad he's going to be okay, and glad the police had a sense of humor.
Said in the article that he had a tucked in t-shirt with a loose overshirt. The conjecture was the t-shirt bunched up and pressed in on the nylon, and when he went to sit it shifted and depressed the trigger. I carried in a nylon holster until my leather one got made when I first started carrying. Glad nothing like that happened to me, as I was carrying appendix at the time. Makes me even more glad I'm using a completely hard shell and on my hip now though.
NRA Benefactor Member

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

I carry IWB most days with a leather/kydex holster, but I do keep a soft nylon holster around for 2 reasons:

1 - Long road trips. I put the XD in the soft holster, which then goes into the door pocket so I don't end up sitting with a pistol grip wedged between my back and the seat for a few hours.

2 - It's a bit more secure for pocket carry around the house than nothing. Rather than put on the IWB holster, I'll use the nylon one and put that into a back pocket. Much more convenient for chores, like taking the garbage out and such.

That said, I would not use it for daily carry. I can get my finger under the nylon and into the trigger with minimal effort. Plus the potential for something external to wedge into the trigger. Too risky for me.
J.R.

truckster

Post by truckster »

jrs_diesel wrote:I carry IWB most days with a leather/kydex holster, but I do keep a soft nylon holster around for 2 reasons:

1 - Long road trips. I put the XD in the soft holster, which then goes into the door pocket so I don't end up sitting with a pistol grip wedged between my back and the seat for a few hours.

2 - It's a bit more secure for pocket carry around the house than nothing. Rather than put on the IWB holster, I'll use the nylon one and put that into a back pocket. Much more convenient for chores, like taking the garbage out and such.

That said, I would not use it for daily carry. I can get my finger under the nylon and into the trigger with minimal effort. Plus the potential for something external to wedge into the trigger. Too risky for me.
Couldn't the unthinkable happen even if the holster isn't carried daily? A low quality holster won't differentiate between daily carry or not. It just takes once

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

I hope the guy doesn't get butt hurt about all the comments people leave. Those people can be a real pain in the butt. :biggrinjester:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Javier730 wrote:I hope the guy doesn't get butt hurt about all the comments people leave. Those people can be a real pain in the butt. :biggrinjester:
Too soon "rlol"
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

truckster wrote: Couldn't the unthinkable happen even if the holster isn't carried daily? A low quality holster won't differentiate between daily carry or not. It just takes once
It could, but I believe I have mitigated the risks somewhat. I don't often use the soft holster, only long road trips and some household chores (especially at night), like taking out the garbage.

Also, my XD has a grip safety. I wouldn't consider a soft holster for anything without a safety of some kind. Whenever I handle it or holster it (in any holster), I keep my hands low on the grip so that my fingers are nowhere near the trigger or grip safety. Same precaution applies whenever I attach the holster to my belt or pocket. I'm even more cautious with the soft holster.

My wife thinks I'm a klutz as it is, I don't want to reinforce that idea with an AD/ND. :shock:
J.R.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

One officer turns to Matt and says “Sir, do you wish to press charges against yourself?”

Matt smiled and replied, “I’ve consulted with my council and I choose not to at this point.”
This cracked me up. I'm glad no one was severely hurt (I guess that's up to debate!) or killed, and really sorry that he had to learn this way. That's a story I hope I never have to tell.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

It could have been worse, thankfully that was as bad as it got. If it were me that it happened to, the bullet would have missed. (so I am told)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Swoops1

Post by Swoops1 »

I'm going to play the devil's advocate. Looking at the holster I feel like there are some parts of the puzzle are missing. I appears to be a left handed IWB, he was wearing it at approx. 6 o'clock so he's either a contortionist or he's right handed. I'm trying to figure out the wadded up t-shirt part ????? I just shot myself in the butt cheek and I'm going to wait for LEO to figure out where the bullet went. I know it was a theory, poorly written article, if they actually wanted to be helpful print some facts.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Swoops1 wrote:I'm going to play the devil's advocate. Looking at the holster I feel like there are some parts of the puzzle are missing. I appears to be a left handed IWB, he was wearing it at approx. 6 o'clock so he's either a contortionist or he's right handed. I'm trying to figure out the wadded up t-shirt part ????? I just shot myself in the butt cheek and I'm going to wait for LEO to figure out where the bullet went. I know it was a theory, poorly written article, if they actually wanted to be helpful print some facts.
Left handed IWB converts to right handed draw if you put it IWB at your back. Kind of anyways, a forward cant doesn't work but a straight up and down will. Plus those types of holsters have some extra room in the belt clip so they will tilt a little bit either direction (happens mainly because they are designed so they can take a larger belt, so if the belt is narrower then you get wiggle). Only thing that makes sense considering where it was worn and it being a left handed holster.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “Never Again!!”