TX: Brazoria County 7 year old shoots himself in the face-gun was locked in safe

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

TX: Brazoria County 7 year old shoots himself in the face-gun was locked in safe

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/7-yea ... lf-in-face

Before shooting himself in the face, 7 year old went to a lot of trouble to get his grandfathers gun. The keys to the gun safe was with dozens of other keys on top of a 5ft high cabinet. Fortunately the boy is expected to live. No charges will be filed.

The 5 year old who did the same thing in Houston a few days ago has died.

Deltaboy

Re: TX: Brazoria County 7 year old shoots himself in the face-gun was locked in safe

Post by Deltaboy »

That little fellow needs a hug ,a talk and a few swats plus a couple weeks of grounding to cure him of meddling.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

C-dub

Re: TX: Brazoria County 7 year old shoots himself in the face-gun was locked in safe

Post by C-dub »

He's probably learned his lesson and swats won't be necessary. I see that in that article, doing a better job of hiding the key is mentioned, but teaching children about the dangers of firearms, their safety, and to respect them at a younger age is not.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:He's probably learned his lesson and swats won't be necessary. I see that in that article, doing a better job of hiding the key is mentioned, but teaching children about the dangers of firearms, their safety, and to respect them at a younger age is not.

Exactly, the left's agenda is to take away personal responsibility, as soon as possible. At 7 years of age, he should have been taught gun safety, and been disciplined enough to know that there would be consequences for disobeying rules. Mine knew that even minor rules violations, meant punishment, it may have just been denying them something they enjoyed doing, or it may have meant more stringent punishment, but there were consequences. The left never want to endorse teaching gun safety, even though they put the words in their anti gun organizations.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

My dad made a really good point on this story. It's likely that at some point this little boy saw someone else access the cabinet, thus learning how to open it.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

TexasTornado wrote:My dad made a really good point on this story. It's likely that at some point this little boy saw someone else access the cabinet, thus learning how to open it.

Kids learn how to do everything by watching parents, grandparents, etc.. But he should also have been taught about guns, the fact that they are off limits, and how to safely handle them, only under adult supervision. Mine were taught before they were three, what they could, and could not touch. Even things like their paintball guns, bb guns, and bow and arrows, were only to be handled with my supervision. Any violations of these rules resulted in punishment. Not necessarily spankings, but they learned very quickly, that Dad means what he says.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Jusme wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:My dad made a really good point on this story. It's likely that at some point this little boy saw someone else access the cabinet, thus learning how to open it.

Kids learn how to do everything by watching parents, grandparents, etc.. But he should also have been taught about guns, the fact that they are off limits, and how to safely handle them, only under adult supervision. Mine were taught before they were three, what they could, and could not touch. Even things like their paintball guns, bb guns, and bow and arrows, were only to be handled with my supervision. Any violations of these rules resulted in punishment. Not necessarily spankings, but they learned very quickly, that Dad means what he says.
Agreed. By age 5 or 6 my son was aware of trigger finger discipline & muzzle awareness via playing with his toy guns. Any opportunity to instill a lifelong habit aught to be capitalized on.

Return to “Never Again!!”