So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

73 year old Florida woman shot dead in citizens police academy demonstration

Post by The Annoyed Man »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... imulation/

Details of where she was shot and how a loaded gun came into play have not yet been released. The woman was attending a citizens police academy class in Punta Gorda, Florida. During a scenario simulation in which she played the victim, and the police officer played the bad guy, he shot her. She was rushed to a hospital and pronounced dead.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 73 year old Florida woman shot dead in citizens police academy demonstration

Post by LucasMcCain »

1. Always treat every gun like it's loaded.
2. Never point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy.
3. Finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Always be sure of your target and your backstop.

Could you do me a favor and forward that to the Punta Gorda PD? I think they could benefit from this information.

That poor woman and her family. Not to mention all of the spectators. Why even use real guns for something like that? Why not blue guns or pellet guns or something? I just don't understand how they could let that happen.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 73 year old Florida woman shot dead in citizens police academy demonstration

Post by WildBill »

This is exactly why they make blue guns.
There is no reason to use a real firearm in this type of demonstration/training exercise.

Prayers for the woman and her family. RIP
NRA Endowment Member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I have no words...

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

This is a sad situation. I will bet the libtards are going to ride this as long as possible.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

lildave40 wrote:This is a sad situation. I will bet the libtards are going to ride this as long as possible.
Nah, doesn't fit the narrative. Only highly trained police and federal officers and soldiers are responsible enough to be allowed to handle guns. Here, there is the possibility that a trained officer or officers, depending on how the simulation was being run, was/were negligent and a woman died. This will be buried very quickly, or possibly used as a cautionary tale of why the serfs don't need to know what is going on in our police departments. The less the serfs know the better...

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Good grief. That is beyond horrible.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

While clearing and making gun safe. I speculate this what happened
He racked the pistol, eject a bullet BEFORE removing the magazine.
Removed the magazine and declared the pistol safe. It was Glock with no manual safety
And, the rest is will go in the annals of the news magazines.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Beiruty wrote:While clearing and making gun safe. I speculate this what happened
Removed the magazine and declared the pistol safe. It was Glock with no manual safety
Wouldn't have to be a Glock. A lot of firearms sold specifically to police don't have the no magazine lockout.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:While clearing and making gun safe. I speculate this what happened
You may be right as to the failure to remove the magazine before clearing the chamber, but I don't think that the lack of an external manual safety comes into play. Unless the gun had a magazine disconnect — and most Sigs, M&Ps, Glocks, etc., etc., do NOT have a magazine disconnect unless they are sold in a state like California — it wouldn't have mattered if it was a Glock or some other brand. You rack the slide, which (a) ejects the chambered round, (b) cocks the gun, and (c) chambers a new round, and the gun is now hot. MY M&P45 came with a thumb safety, but most of the M&Ps I've seen, including those carried by cops, did not have one. If it was a 1911, he would not have been able to rack the slide at all if the thumb safety was engaged. So in all likelihood, the Glock's lack of an external thumb safety had nothing to do with it.....if it was a Glock. After all, this was not a case of "Glock-leg", it was a case of aiming a real gun at a target the shooter did not intend to destroy, on the assumption that it was either unloaded, or not a real gun, and then pulling the trigger.

All of the basic rules of safety were violated.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

something I read said that he didn't clear the chamber....

:shock:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

I agree with other posters, the weapon was probably made 'safe' incorrectly. One of the first lessons learned when I got a semi auto, in order to make sure the gun is clear, drop the magazine first, then rack the slide open and check for a round. Certainly an LEO knows that too. Personal opinion here, somebody has to be held accountable. The State investigators will probably declare this a tragic accident, and the officer who pulled the trigger might wind up with a reprimand, or a serious blot on his career. In my opinion, it's a career ender at a minimum.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

they only "excuse"....and I'm using that word very loosely. If if this was this officer's first time in front of an "audience"? and he was nervous? but even then clearing his weapon should be muscle memory, like folding towels.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

As stated previously, blue guns exist for a reason.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

baseballguy2001 wrote:I agree with other posters, the weapon was probably made 'safe' incorrectly. One of the first lessons learned when I got a semi auto, in order to make sure the gun is clear, drop the magazine first, then rack the slide open and check for a round. Certainly an LEO knows that too. Personal opinion here, somebody has to be held accountable. The State investigators will probably declare this a tragic accident, and the officer who pulled the trigger might wind up with a reprimand, or a serious blot on his career. In my opinion, it's a career ender at a minimum.
Yeah, but for you and me, it would be a freedom-ended. The officer may lose his job, but we would face prison time, I'm sure.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “Never Again!!”