Had to Pull My Gun Today!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

jminn1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Had to Pull My Gun Today!

Post by jminn1 »

Dogs are the reason I carry. In 2013 I was walking in a neighborhood and came around the blind corner of a fence. A woman was walking her two dogs off-leash approaching the same blind corner from the opposite direction about 20 yards away. When they saw me, both dogs charged. I backed up to the fence and got as big and loud as possible. The two dogs backed off a bit, but were still snarling with bared teeth and snapping at me until she called them off. I told her to her face that if I had been carrying that both dogs would be dead and she would be the one charged as local law requires dogs to be on-leash at all times. Got my plastic in January of 2014 and have carried daily since.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

jminn1,

Sorry you went through that.

What was the dog owners reaction to your response?

In my experience, as I've had a number of dogs attack me on my long distance bike rides out in the country, most dog owners act self righteous.

You are the bad guy, as you should (apparently, let the dogs bite you or at least intimidate you) but, if you defend yourself by employing pepper spray to stop the attack/the owners sometimes go bonkers. You are a mere human, but their dogs are royalty...

Unleashed dogs and their inconsiderate owners are a constant for me...

Consider getting some 'potent' pepper spray with a clip on belt holster.

It's not injurious to the dog, but it is temporarily very painful and most of the time if you manage to spray the mucous membranes i.e., eyes, nose, mouth they'll quickly decide to leave you alone.

Also, get some Sudecon decontamination wipes if you accidentally get some of the spray on yourself.

PM me if you want more detail regarding pepper spray.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:jminn1,

Sorry you went through that.

What was the dog owners reaction to your response?

In my experience, as I've had a number of dogs attack me on my long distance bike rides out in the country, most dog owners act self righteous.

You are the bad guy, as you should (apparently, let the dogs bite you or at least intimidate you) but, if you defend yourself by employing pepper spray to stop the attack/the owners sometimes go bonkers. You are a mere human, but their dogs are royalty...

Unleashed dogs and their inconsiderate owners are a constant for me...

Consider getting some 'potent' pepper spray with a clip on belt holster.

It's not injurious to the dog, but it is temporarily very painful and most of the time if you manage to spray the mucous membranes i.e., eyes, nose, mouth they'll quickly decide to leave you alone.

Also, get some Sudecon decontamination wipes if you accidentally get some of the spray on yourself.

PM me if you want more detail regarding pepper spray.
Prior to civilian use of pepper spray, back in the stone age, when I was a mere lad, of 12, with a paper route, I carried a plastic squirt gun with ammonia in it. Only had to use it a couple of times, but the dogs, that had encountered my weapon of mass destruction, stayed on the porch and barked at me. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Rick Perry would have shot them.............just sayin'
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

canvasbck wrote:Rick Perry would have shot them.............just sayin'
Dick Cheney would have as well

mayor

Post by mayor »

rotor wrote:You are very brave to have handled it like you did. I don't care what anyone says about "friendly" pit bulls, they were bred to fight and kill. I would have shot them if the owner didn't come out right away to retrieve them. My neighbor was badly mauled by a pit during her daily walk.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/verify/v ... /439292520 take it with a grain of salt, I have one and she is very gentle. my 3 year old great niece plays with her.

That being said, I wouldn't have had a standoff for 10 minutes, either and if my dog was that aggressive toward someone, i wouldn't be upset if she wound up dead. That's the main reason I carry my 380 when i go for walks.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

SHogun62 wrote:
canvasbck wrote:Rick Perry would have shot them.............just sayin'
Dick Cheney would have as well
Dick Cheney would have shot the dogs across the street!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

mayor wrote:http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/verify/v ... /439292520 take it with a grain of salt, I have one and she is very gentle. my 3 year old great niece plays with her.

That being said, I wouldn't have had a standoff for 10 minutes, either and if my dog was that aggressive toward someone, i wouldn't be upset if she wound up dead. That's the main reason I carry my 380 when i go for walks.
Seriously, comparing a ferocious chihuahua to a pit bull? That's some real investigative reporting. :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

mayor wrote:
rotor wrote:You are very brave to have handled it like you did. I don't care what anyone says about "friendly" pit bulls, they were bred to fight and kill. I would have shot them if the owner didn't come out right away to retrieve them. My neighbor was badly mauled by a pit during her daily walk.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/verify/v ... /439292520 take it with a grain of salt, I have one and she is very gentle. my 3 year old great niece plays with her.

Old post. The article says that 65% of fatal dog attacks are caused by pit bulls. That pretty much proves my point. The fact that there are many gentle pit bulls out there is not questioned. These would be considered "defective" dogs as they are not following the genetics of the breed. Border collies that don't herd, Beagles that can't hunt, gun dogs that are gun shy. They may make great pets but they are not exhibiting the nature of what the breed was developed for.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

In 2016 it was 71% pit bulls

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

rotor wrote:
mayor wrote:

Old post. The article says that 65% of fatal dog attacks are caused by pit bulls. That pretty much proves my point. The fact that there are many gentle pit bulls out there is not questioned. These would be considered "defective" dogs as they are not following the genetics of the breed. Border collies that don't herd, Beagles that can't hunt, gun dogs that are gun shy. They may make great pets but they are not exhibiting the nature of what the breed was developed for.
I would say it's less of a 'defective' issue and has a lot more to do with the poorer breeders out there these days. Between backyard breeders and puppy mills that don't adhere to the breed standards or only do it for profits. On top of that people often don't get proper training or do proper socialization of their pets, which can lead to some behavior problems - some breeds are worst about it than others.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 4

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

WTR wrote:In 2016 it was 71% pit bulls
Odds are that a Substantial percentage (my estimate is in excess of 70%) of those were misidentified as pits or pit crosses when they were some other breed or crossbreed.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
WTR wrote:In 2016 it was 71% pit bulls
Odds are that a Substantial percentage (my estimate is in excess of 70%) of those were misidentified as pits or pit crosses when they were some other breed or crossbreed.
Rationalize all you want. Pits where bred to fight. I have known sweet Pits. I have known sweet Pits who have turned aggressive for no apparent reason. Bottom line Pits are involved in more bite and death incidents. No denying that no matter how many excuses you want to make. I wouldn't leave a Pit with a child and I wouldn't leave my Catahola alone with a child.....and she is crazy about me

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pitbulls have been bred to fight, but that is not what the breed was established for. Those that were bred to fight went against the breed standard for temperament and considered POORLY bred by any reasonable person. And also in circles of those that would call their dogs American Staffordshire Terriers instead of Pitbulls or Pits.

One other breed that gets mixed in to make an actual Pit larger and is often confused with Pits is the American Bulldog.

It's all a mess and terrible what backyard breeders and other less reputable people did to the breed. Even worse than what similar people did to the Rottie in the 80's and 90's.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pitbulls have been bred to fight, but that is not what the breed was established for. Those that were bred to fight went against the breed standard for temperament and considered POORLY bred by any reasonable person. And also in circles of those that would call their dogs American Staffordshire Terriers instead of Pitbulls or Pits.

One other breed that gets mixed in to make an actual Pit larger and is often confused with Pits is the American Bulldog.

It's all a mess and terrible what backyard breeders and other less reputable people did to the breed. Even worse than what similar people did to the Rottie in the 80's and 90's.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Never Again!!”