Look Out for Lookouts

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Look Out for Lookouts

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:
In the scenario oriented training I conduct with both my police and armed citizen classes, the “lookout” scenario almost always leads to the cop or armed citizen being shot. No matter what amount of training you have done, it is difficult to control the tunnel vision reaction. In this case. the physiology designed to help us actually causes our demise as we overlook the lookout in order to pay better attention to the criminal we are confronting.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/y ... r-lookouts
Criminals are adapting to the fact that there are armed citizens who may confront them. A second person or even third as a lookout is one that is more and more common. Another tactic I've noticed is multiple armed actors entering together; often armed with long arms, i.e. shotguns and AR/AK's. As OC becomes more prominent I suspect the criminals will go after them first as they swamp their targeted establishment, and either take their weapon or shoot them on the spot and then take it. Criminals are stupid, but they ain't dumb.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

Learn to control your fear and and train to drop 3-5 targets at 10 yards or less in 4 secs. Welcome to steel matches 101.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

Beiruty wrote:Learn to control your fear and and train to drop 3-5 targets at 10 yards or less in 4 secs. Welcome to steel matches 101.
Now that make sense!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

doncb

Post by doncb »

A while ago I saw a youtube video where a couple came into a store and he was carrying a rifle. She got a cart and followed about 15 feet behind. A citizen pulled his gun and was going to follow him and she pulled a gun out of her purse and shot the citizen point blank. He never knew what hit him.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I remember seeing Ross Seyfried shoot in one-on-one "races" with people like Brian Enos. Seyfried's draw looked like an arthritic crisis, but once the gun was up he was knocking down targets. I suspect adrenal control played a part in his success.

As far as lookouts, there is a quote about velociraptors in Jurassic Park that comes to mind, "And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there."

Raptors and people, both dangers to be respected when they pack hunt.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

treadlightly wrote:I remember seeing Ross Seyfried shoot in one-on-one "races" with people like Brian Enos. Seyfried's draw looked like an arthritic crisis, but once the gun was up he was knocking down targets. I suspect adrenal control played a part in his success.

As far as lookouts, there is a quote about velociraptors in Jurassic Park that comes to mind, "And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two raptors you didn't even know were there."

Raptors and people, both dangers to be respected when they pack hunt.
Crap, first its the Zombies and now we have Zombies and Raptors. I better get out there and practice more. But seriously, the criminals know when they hunt in packs their odds of success is higher vs hunting alone. Remember when you would see a woman on the side of the road with a flat tire? Back in the day, we wouldnt even think about stopping and helping. Now days?????
Just some guy's opinion.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

AndyC wrote:
In the scenario oriented training I conduct with both my police and armed citizen classes, the “lookout” scenario almost always leads to the cop or armed citizen being shot. No matter what amount of training you have done, it is difficult to control the tunnel vision reaction. In this case. the physiology designed to help us actually causes our demise as we overlook the lookout in order to pay better attention to the criminal we are confronting.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/y ... r-lookouts
One of the reasons I contend it's a bad idea to unload your gun on the person you are engaging. Nothing worse than eliminating one threat and realizing you have other threats and an empty mag.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I reside in the Country. Six times in the past 22 years I have had people knock on my door and ask for help. Twice I have been able to flush out " partners " ready to jump me, the other four time have been legitimate and I have been able to help.

WRG

Post by WRG »

This comes from a person who often carries a .380, but this is probably a good argument for carrying a larger caliber. The larger caliber should stop the threat in fewer shots leaving you more rounds for the look out. Just thinking out loud. Thanks for the topic. Lots to think about and train for.

God Bless the USA.

Bill

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Beiruty wrote:Learn to control your fear and and train to drop 3-5 targets at 10 yards or less in 4 secs. Welcome to steel matches 101.
:iagree:

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

AndyC wrote:For the scariest heart-pounding experience, do it Man vs. Man style.

An old pic but here's my victory thumbs-up after taking on 40 guys and advancing to beat the top-shooter in the finals (who had a compensated Caspian 1911 race-gun with red-dot vs. me with my stock Rock Island 1911) in New Mexico 2008:

He was actually the faster and better shooter - we shot 3 sequences (I won the first, he won the second so we did a tie-breaker) but he folded under the pressure of the last one. That's the lesson right there: great gear and great skills mean zip if you can't hold it together when it counts, as evidenced by his final plate still standing at the left. As Bill Jordan put it in his book - "No Second Place Winner".
All that is great and nice but the real thing is the deal breaker. Battle Shock would paralyze so many fresh meat. Or, so they do more often than they have too.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Never Again!!”