Fort Hood Soldier flees DPS going 200 mph on motorcycle, while illegally carrying gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fort Hood Soldier flees DPS going 200 mph on motorcycle, while illegally carrying gun

Post by FastCarry »

Ill take heat for this but here goes. Preface, im not condoning any of it nor excusing any of it. This may even be off topic entirely but its related.

In my younger days, a lot of things happened that led me to live carelessly.. I just didnt care if tomorrow came around. Ive had many bikes in my time, nothing over 140 hp, just about the fastest 600s. They are fast. It takes no time to get over 100 and each time you do it its harder to roll back on the throttle. The fastest ive seen is 155 mph (corrected for error is probably closer to 140). Then I rode a few bikes near 190hp... Im not sure how those dont require a certain level license. Could pull the front wheel up in 3rd gear on an 1199 Panigale at 70 mph. That being said, having the experience ill agree 209 mph on the street, on a street bike, isnt possible. You would need a lot more than 190 hp to over come the drag, plus gearing. If it is possible, the rubber side wouldnt be down for long.

I dont have sports anymore, counted my blessings that I or no one else was hurt and only have a standard now with a mere 76 hp.

On the topic of carrying while riding, I always understood that LTC or not, if you are comitting a crime then youd be hit with unlawful carry as well. I always left my gun at home when I took out the sports.

This incident I see will ding both pro gun and motorcycle riders.

casp625

Re: Fort Hood Soldier flees DPS going 200 mph on motorcycle, while illegally carrying gun

Post by casp625 »

The Dude wrote:LTC not MPA

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(6) is carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
(i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a shoulder or belt holster;
Well, wouldn't a person fleeing at 200mph be "traveling" and exempt from 46.02? Even those without a LTC? :headscratch
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(1) is in the actual discharge of official duties as a member of the armed forces or state military forces as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or as a guard employed by a penal institution;
(2) is traveling;

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by uthornsfan »

rexmitchell wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
uthornsfan wrote:More importantly that bike is not capable of going 200mph.
:iagree:
Average superbike/bulletbike only does up to 165+- (maybe they meant 200 KILOMETERS per hour?)
Average rider isn't capable of operating it at that speed for any distance
Average police car tops out at 130+-
But over a long chase they still caught him (And I didn't see any mention of a helicopter as part of the pursuit)

Somebody is exaggerating...... :totap:
Not to split hairs but the 1000cc Japanese bikes that are coming out can get up to around 180 in their stock form. That being said, the additional 20 MPH is extremely costly and difficult to achieve. Either way, that guy wasn't going anywhere near 200 mph.

That is an early 2000s Yamaha R6. No way it ever got close to 200. Maybe 150-160 max...

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Keith B wrote:
The Dude wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Even with an LTC you can not carry under the authority of the LTC if you are committing a crime that is greater than a Class C misdemeanor.
Source please.
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating
;
Thanks Kieth :thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rexmitchell
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rexmitchell »

uthornsfan wrote:
rexmitchell wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Average superbike/bulletbike only does up to 165+- (maybe they meant 200 KILOMETERS per hour?)
But over a long chase they still caught him (And I didn't see any mention of a helicopter as part of the pursuit)

Not to split hairs but the 1000cc Japanese bikes that are coming out can get up to around 180 in their stock form. That being said, the additional 20 MPH is extremely costly and difficult to achieve. Either way, that guy wasn't going anywhere near 200 mph.

That is an early 2000s Yamaha R6. No way it ever got close to 200. Maybe 150-160 max...
I didn't see the bike but yep, 160 max.

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by uthornsfan »

This was the bike.

R6 taillight :)

karder

Post by karder »

Back in my wild and wooly days I rode a Ducati 916 to 141 mph on a racetrack. I was a fairly competent rider in a controlled environment and I vividly remember how light the bike felt. I could feel the suspension decompressing and the bike felt so light it seemed to want to lift off the track. The bike had some more in her but I was outside of my skill level and backed off. I agree that this guy couldn't possibly have been going 200+. At any rate, a jail cell is probably the safest place for him.

"Motorcycle racing is a real-world physics lab where the penalty for wrong answers is a lot more dramatic than a bad grade."
Freddie Spencer...(Grand Prix racing legend)
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

uthornsfan wrote:Image

R6 taillight :)
It might have been an R6 by chance, but this is a stock photo used by tons of TV stations.

I choose to believe he was going at least 220MPH because screw physics.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

couzin

Post by couzin »

I'm thinkin there is no application of MPA. When he went to foot and then got apprehended - he becomes just another schmuck with a gun since he did not have a chl/ltc.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The track only version of the Kawasaki H2R will exceed 200 mph, but only if not gripping a coconut by its husk which requires at least 43 wingbeats per second.

Details aside, that troublemaker needs a wakeup call. It would be nice for the police to stay within reality, too.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I'm thinking that if he had hit something going "200 MPH" the gun might be all that's left to identify him by.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

E.Marquez wrote:that speed is a physically impossibility for the bike in question
I disagree. Assuming a drag coefficient somewhere around .35, which isn't unusual for sport bikes, under the right conditions, it should be able to achieve 200+mph within a few seconds without even cranking the motor on.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

KD5NRH wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:that speed is a physically impossibility for the bike in question
I disagree. Assuming a drag coefficient somewhere around .35, which isn't unusual for sport bikes, under the right conditions, it should be able to achieve 200+mph within a few seconds without even cranking the motor on.
"rlol"

I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Regardless of all the back and forth banter regarding MPA or not, whether or not the bike could do the speed reported, and comments about arming soldiers; I drive US 190 near Fort Hood daily, usually at/near/or sometimes slightly exceeding the 75 MPH speed limit between Copperas Cove and Fort Hood. It is almost a daily occurrance to have Soldiers racing their sport bikes, weaving in and out of traffic at speeds that greatly exceed the posted 75 MPH. An aquanitance of mine who is LE reported that he had clocked some on radar exceeding 100 MPH while weaving in and out of traffic. Glad they caught this one and wish they would catch more. Tired of hearing about traffic accidents involving young Soldiers on bikes. All for kids blowing off steam, but we have lost far too many Soldiers to stupid, unnecesary accidents.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:

Yeah, the fastest any of my patrol cars would go was 157, brand new 92 Crown Vic. The only place we could test them was the local airport at night.
Any time the police are being outrun, the speed the BG was going, seems to increase dramatically.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Never Again!!”