Fort Hood Soldier flees DPS going 200 mph on motorcycle, while illegally carrying gun

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Fort Hood Soldier flees DPS going 200 mph on motorcycle, while illegally carrying gun

Post by E.Marquez »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
uthornsfan wrote:More importantly that bike is not capable of going 200mph.
:iagree:
Average superbike/bulletbike only does up to 165+- (maybe they meant 200 KILOMETERS per hour?)
Average rider isn't capable of operating it at that speed for any distance
Average police car tops out at 130+-
But over a long chase they still caught him (And I didn't see any mention of a helicopter as part of the pursuit)

Somebody is exaggerating...... :totap:
The fast bikes in the US are ECU limited yes, though that is easily dealt with and common for those that modify. There are MANY factory models that will do 185/195 limited and more if the electron lock is removed.

Unfortunately, many an avarage rider and less than avarage have ridden thier bikes to the ECU limitation...as for not doing it for long..yes, normally when that speed run is arrested (pun intended) with blunt force trauma

Id guess the "Exceeding 200 MPH" was based on the officer doing a indicated XXX and then estimating the speed of the rider as he pulled away.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

rexmitchell
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Fort Hood Soldier flees DPS going 200 mph on motorcycle, while illegally carrying gun

Post by rexmitchell »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Average superbike/bulletbike only does up to 165+- (maybe they meant 200 KILOMETERS per hour?)
But over a long chase they still caught him (And I didn't see any mention of a helicopter as part of the pursuit)

Not to split hairs but the 1000cc Japanese bikes that are coming out can get up to around 180 in their stock form. That being said, the additional 20 MPH is extremely costly and difficult to achieve. Either way, that guy wasn't going anywhere near 200 mph.

rexmitchell
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rexmitchell »

E.Marquez wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:

The fast bikes in the US are ECU limited yes, though that is easily dealt with and common for those that modify. There are MANY factory models that will do 185/195 limited and more if the electron lock is removed.

Unfortunately, many an avarage rider and less than avarage have ridden thier bikes to the ECU limitation...as for not doing it for long..yes, normally when that speed run is arrested (pun intended) with blunt force trauma

Id guess the "Exceeding 200 MPH" was based on the officer doing a indicated XXX and then estimating the speed of the rider as he pulled away.
Or a calculation by air. A while back there was a similar chase and the state police plane calculated he was going 217 or something crazy. They were using either the mile markers, or lane stripes and calculating it based off a stopwatch time. Not sure that is the case here but being off a few seconds makes that speed jump a lot.

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

rexmitchell wrote:
Or a calculation by air. A while back there was a similar chase and the state police plane calculated he was going 217 or something crazy. They were using either the mile markers, or lane stripes and calculating it based off a stopwatch time. Not sure that is the case here but being off a few seconds makes that speed jump a lot.
Interesting,, the report is now
A 22-year-old man remained in custody Monday after a high-speed motorcycle chase through two local cities during which the racing bike reached speeds of 209 miles per hour, a Department of Public Safety trooper said.
As noted,,, that speed is a physically impossibility for the bike in question..... stating the exaggerated speed really weakens the case in my opinion :tiphat:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Pariah3j wrote:
The Wall wrote:It's amazing to me a soldier can carry a gun illegally anywhere. Should be required they carry at all times. Especially if in uniform. Just my opinion.
My guess is it's due to the Posse Comitatus Act, is probably why this isn't a thing. Which basically prevents the military from performing policing and performing domestic duties/actions. Being given carte blanche to carry is more of a thing given to police/federal agencys.
There is no requirement in Posse Comitatus that military personnel remain unarmed in the US, only that they cannot perform law enforcement duties. However, there is no general reason for them to be armed any more than you or me. No more special classes of citizens... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I witnessed a bike I estimated to be going about 130 going north on I35 a few years back. The bike made a lane change and hit one of the reflectors on the pavement. It launched the bike and rider off the ground about three feet as they both impacted an overpass support. They said that, moving that fast, the bike and rider only had downforce equivalent to 3 pounds or so. I can't imagine doing 200 on one on public streets...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

The Dude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Dude »

200 mph
crashed
unhurt

"rlol"
ABIDE

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Even with an LTC you can not carry under the authority of the LTC if you are committing a crime that is greater than a Class C misdemeanor. The MPA does not apply if you are committing a crime greater than a Class C misdemeanor.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

twomillenium wrote:Even with an LTC you can not carry under the authority of the LTC if you are committing a crime that is greater than a Class C misdemeanor.
Source please.
ABIDE

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

The Dude wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Even with an LTC you can not carry under the authority of the LTC if you are committing a crime that is greater than a Class C misdemeanor.
Source please.
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating
;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

LTC not MPA

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(6) is carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
(i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a shoulder or belt holster;
ABIDE

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

Whether or not the motorcycle can go 200mph or not is not the issue with this story. From what I see the media will find a way to paint guns in a bad light no matter what the real story is. It's just another headline grabber to keep the anti gun rhetoric alive.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

C-dub wrote:Maybe it's a technicality? How does one get "in" a motorcycle? :biggrinjester:
Verrrrrrry carefully :mrgreen:

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

And as far as the speed, yes, it is possible with the right motorcycle...such as.....

...you know...warp speed and all that jazz.

Return to “Never Again!!”