Realization comes home - always carry. Even at home.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Realization comes home - always carry. Even at home.

Post by Abraham »

Nice neighborhood?

Sure!

Safe neighborhood?

No such thing...never was, but like Juan Williams most recently asked on the "The Five", don't you have police in your neighborhood, (no) right after he said you don't need a gun to defend yourself.

He's another liberal who thinks guns aren't for you to defend yourself. Police are constantly monitoring your safety, right...?

If he had a home invasion, I wonder what he'd say after, ah, assuming he was still alive...

Dart106A
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dart106A »

doncb wrote:
Abraham wrote:Pocket carry in a pocket holster I hope...?
Absolutely!! Safety first and always.
Preaching to the choir here, but TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN with the holster!! Not to minimize the topic, but I seriously worry that some folks get so concerned with being so super safe that they fail to have the ability to bring their weapon to bear when they need it.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I started carrying at home about 3 years ago. When a neighbor about 5 blocks away was robbed and beaten while working in his garage in the middle of a Saturday afternoon. His wife was also assaulted in the house when the went in and stole jewelry and looked for prescription drugs. They survived and physically recovered, but it scarred many of us after that. I don't think I was the only one that added video and started to carry even at home. This is or at least was a "NICE" neighborhood.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've been carrying at home and around the house for years. If it's not on my hip then my M4 is probably within arms length. It's an extremely rare occasion when neither of those criteria are met. If we get an unexpected knock at the door I'm opening it slightly with my left hand after checking the peephole, while my right hand is on the grip ready to draw. Sometimes I have even already drawn it and have to reholster when satisfied that it's okay.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

Many years ago I used to razz a fellow Jailer for carrying his 1911 on his hip while mowing his yard. He wasn't from here. Chicago, if I remember correctly. He was just early to the party because a few years later,hearing of a robbery in a person's own front yard is now common here. I carry a .380 in my pocket always, unless I have something else IWB/OWB. After 2-3 months it got to where NOT having it felt weird. And ya never know when you may have to run out of your "safe & secure" home quickly. Not having a weapon when you really need it is the worst feeling.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I don't carry on my person when inside my home. When I'm in my garage with the door up, going to get the mail, take out the trash, in the back yard, answering the door, etc, I am always armed. When in the house, I try to always be within easy reach of a gun. It's a small house, so I really can't get very far away from one.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I work at home and I am holstered all day, everyday. A friend of mine lives over by the motor speedway, said "a guy tried breaking into his home while he was there". My friend helped him by opening the front door and placing a his pistol to his forehead. The guy ran down the street yell "he got a gun to his friends, who were waiting on him". "rlol"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I wish I could recall the name of my first CHL instructor in 1995 so I could give him credit. He made two statements that I've always remembered. The first, was "if you are going to carry a gun, then learn to eat a lot of crow. Otherwise, you going to have to kill a lot of people." This was an intentional overstatement, but the message was clear.

The other statement was "some people will get a CHL so they can have a handgun in their car, or so they can carry it on 'special occasions.' Other people will get up in the morning, put on their watch, put on their gun and never think about either one again until they go to bed." I fall into the latter category. I don't wear a gun because I'm afraid. I put it on because 1) that way I always know where it is (grandkids, visitors, etc.); and 2) in the unlikely event I do need it at home, I'll have it. Remember, we are at least as likely to be a victim of a kick-burglar at home as we are an assault or robbery victim on the street.

I've worn a gun so long that I truly don't even notice it is on my side. I'm talking about a full size 1911 too.

Chas.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I also carry at home, carrying right now.
Never had to draw from my holster but have had my hand on it preparing to draw on a few occasions when the door bell rings.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Nice topic and thank you for sharing.

I cant watch Juan Williams. I dont even know why they keep him around. Maybe every class needs a clown? Dunno.

This topic is good food for thought. Its amazing how quick your safe little home can turn un-safe. I pray I never have it happen, and I cant say I understand what the victims go through cuz I've never been there, I can only imagine. The worst I have had was a burglary while we were not home several years ago. I had a shed (Un-attached) in the back yard and they got my lawn mower, welding machine, weed eater and some other stuff. I guess then they broke the back sliding door on the house but the alarm went off and I reckon that scared em away. That alone was very traumatizing for my wife and my 12 year old son. Every night when my son went to bed, he would check the front door to make sure it was locked, and that was AFTER he just checked it 10 minutes prior. And I would hear him 15 minutes later getting up and re-checking the door again. It was horrible and we moved shortly after and have not had any more issues since then.

I too carry at home and have done so for many years, way before I got my LTC. My pistol is always in my hand, behind my back anytime I answer the door, unless I know its family or friends. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Just some guy's opinion.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

My wires best friend asked me not long ago when she stopped by our house.

"Do you have your gun on you??"

My answer was "Am I wearing pants?"

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

If my weapon is on my hip, I never have to look for it, even if I'm asleep.

Military training aside, I did take one very important piece of logic home from the CHL course. During the intro portion, the instructor talked about how he believed that everyone should a gun in every room of their house. Being as I was taking the course at Frisco Gun Club, I wasn't in the least bit surprised when one of the students raised their hand and said "But that means I have to buy like, 7 guns!"

The instructor, without even missing a beat responded with "If you're carrying your weapon on you, you have a gun in every room you're in, right?"

Genius...

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I'm in the 16 hour a day carry club - if I'm wearing pants (or shorts!), I have my pistol on me. Don't want to have to wonder if I need to dash to the living room coffee table, or side table by the front door, or kitchen island, or bedside table, etc etc.

It was nice to be able to play that surveillance video of the home invasion for my girlfriend. She complains about my belt buckle or pistol being uncomfortable if we're relaxing on the couch watching a movie; I asked her to watch the video & think about scrambling around, trying to remember where in the house you left your pistol, during that altercation.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

There is a couple of times when I don't wear a gun. Shower, and the bed. Even then they are very close by. I posted a question or a poll about this a few months ago but I can't find the topic. I do remember that most of the members here said they carry at home. My opinion is seconds can be very important. Why practice your draw, and then leave the gun 15 feet away?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

http://abc7.com/news/texas-homeowner-br ... r/1637671/

Holy cow! I think i need to rethink my lcr!
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Return to “Never Again!!”